Coaching vacancies 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    There's a Cold War going on here and you could say there is a "Rink Gap." Not sure when Orr was built, ...
    1954, renovated 1997

http://nescachockey.wordpress.com/nescac-member-schools/amherst/

I remember skating @ Orr in the late 1960's, as a local kid.

I think one of the motivating factors behind upgrading or replacing the facility would be the potential opportunity to host a tournament ... not sure, but wasn't there recently discussion here about Orr not being up to either nescac or NCAA standards?

Comment

• Re: Coaching vacancies 2012

The biggest mystery in the Amherst-Williams [and Bates HS for that matter] hockey debate is not when a new rink will be built at either place, but rather...

Given a choice between watching college hockey and college hoops....why the @#$%#$ would ANYONE be at a basketball game????

Comment

How about this for motivation to replace Orr. A recruit has the skills (and grades/scores of course) to play at Amherst, Middlebury, or Bowdoin - these schools are competing for the same small group of kids who can be impact players and get in. Then they see the rinks at each - which school looks like hockey is not a priority? Obviously Amherst is at a disadvantage - who in their right mind would not prefer to play at Middlebury or Bowdoin rinks all else being equal? Obviously, this isn't the only factor in school selection, but it definitely puts the Amherst teams at a recruiting disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
          The Amherst men's hockey team was very successful in 2011-12 and 2008-09 (NESCAC champions), with very few full houses in a rink with limited seating. Hockey fans in the Valley tend to head for UMass games and of course Amherst students prefer b-ball. Amherst is a b-ball school as is Williams so no arms race between the two schools for a new hockey rink is likely . .Bowdoin just wanted to build a new rink so of course Bowdoin officials were going to say that Dayton could not be repaired although it could have been for a fraction of the cost of Watson . . .
          UMass is a lacrosse school. Long before Calipari's Refuse to Lose crew there was Garber's Gorrillas (and the Gazelles, who were National Champs in '82) packing the hill behind Bowden Gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
            UMass is a lacrosse school. Long before Calipari's Refuse to Lose crew there was Garber's Gorrillas (and the Gazelles, who were National Champs in '82) packing the hill behind Bowden Gym.
            Hux, I'm sure you know this, but to clarify, you're speaking of UMass Amherst (D1 school, no women's varsity hockey program, just went through a highly publicized and difficult process to replace their men's hockey team's head coach), not the D3 college up the street, Amherst College, home of Orr Rink.

(And don't tell Dr. J or Marcus Camby that UMass isn't a basketball school.)

Comment

Originally posted by dontyelldad View Post
              1954, renovated 1997

http://nescachockey.wordpress.com/ne...hools/amherst/

I remember skating @ Orr in the late 1960's, as a local kid.

I think one of the motivating factors behind upgrading or replacing the facility would be the potential opportunity to host a tournament ... not sure, but wasn't there recently discussion here about Orr not being up to either nescac or NCAA standards?
              Amherst hosted the NESCAC men's finals and the NCAA quarterfinals so there is no problem on that front. It could not bid to host the NCAA semi-finals because of lack of seating capacity but that's is probably true for most (maybe all) NESCACs.

Comment

• Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                Amherst hosted the NESCAC men's finals and the NCAA quarterfinals so there is no problem on that front. It could not bid to host the NCAA semi-finals because of lack of seating capacity but that's is probably true for most (maybe all) NESCACs.
                I believe they also lack the required locker rooms to as well right?
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                  Oh my! That's even WORSE! What kind of school spends all that money to build a rink on campus...apparently back in 1995...and spend a ton of money every year maintaining the ice, and the building....and doesn't bother to even try to start a hockey program? Oh, right.....we're talking about Bates H.S. almost forgot. What a hopeless bunch.
                  A friend of mine from Lewiston, well placed in the area's business community, told me a few years back that the Bates rink was built with a large donation that stipulated that varsity hockey not be added. Given that the Colisee, former home of the QMJHL's Lewiston Maineiacs is just down the street, they have a ready made 3000 seat arena and could add hockey without stepping on any toes if they really wanted to have varsity hockey.

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
                  I vaguely remember this argument when Witt became a head coach. I do not believe this is a recipe for disaster. I believe Coach Johnson will be named permanent head coach in the future.
                  Miss Witt has left Northeastern for a position with USA HOCKEY.
                  Last edited by Hux; 07-21-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Hux;5475073]A friend of mine from Lewiston, well placed in the area's business community, told me a few years back that the Bates rink was built with a large donation that stipulated that varsity hockey not be added. Given that the Colisee, former home of the QMJHL's Lewiston Maineiacs is just down the street, they have a ready made 3000 seat arena and could add hockey without stepping on any toes if they really wanted to have varsity hockey.

I had heard the same thing from a former employee.

Comment

the hole at Bates just keeps getting deeper! Let me get this straight [unusual at Bates]....a guy donates [what must have been a considerable sum] to the brain trust at Bates....but says "hey, there fellows...here's the $$ for a nice new rink...Now don't go playing that hoccker or icesoccer or whatever you canadians do out there on the ice...there will be none of that type of funny business here at Bates H.S.!"

Only at Bates could something like that happen and nobody would care.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        Heard that Brendan Knight leaves Hamilton for Syracuse.
                        Confirmed. For those who don't read the USCHO front page ...

http://www.uscho.com/2012/07/24/syra...sistant-coach/

Comment

I guess that would explain his being MIA at his own camp last week at Hamilton. Very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                            I guess that would explain his being MIA at his own camp last week at Hamilton. Very strange.
                            Who ran the camp this year if Knight wasn't there?

Comment

I suppose he was technically "there" [meaning somewhere on campus] but almost never actually on the ice...or off-ice for that matter. The other coaches seemed to be running things.

Comment

dont be surprised if the Hamilton administration opens the door for scott wiley and he walks right in. would make a lot of sense for everyone and solves a lot of problems quickly for Hamilton

Comment

Working...
                                X