D3 NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 NCAA Tournament

Great hockey yesterday at the Ritter, both games were tremendous contests.

Tomorrow is a historic day, it will be RIT's last game as a DIII program for women's hockey.

Good luck to the girls tomorrow, bring home a championship and close out the DIII chapter with an exclamation point!
    Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

Cardinals fall to RIT in OT
      RIT earns spot in national title game

JOHN CORYER
      Press-Republican The Press Republican Sat Mar 17, 2012, 03:23 AM EDT

ROCHESTER — There hasn't been a lot separating the RIT and Plattsburgh State women's hockey teams in head-to-head battles this season.

And there wasn't a lot that separated the two on Friday.

But the top-ranked Tigers prevailed in the biggest game of the season between the two ECAC West rivals when Lindsay Grigg's goal 2:30 into overtime lifted host RIT to a 2-1 win in the NCAA Division III semifinals at Frank Ritter Arena.

The Cardinals will play Gustavus Adolphus today in the third-place contest. RIT will meet Norwich in the championship game.

"It was an up-and-down, back-and-forth game," Plattsburgh coach Kevin Houle said. "It was a typical game between the two teams. We obviously wanted to win, but I'm proud of the kids. They gave a great effort."

The Tigers (27-1-1) took the lead in the first period and carried it into the third.

Laura Chamberlain, who played a strong game in the RIT nets, preserved the lead with a big save on Jenny Kistner's deflection 2:30 into the third.

The Cardinals then nearly tied it off a scramble in front of the RIT net with 12:14 remaining. The officials ruled the puck stayed out of the net, and the call went upstairs for further review. It was upheld, and the Tigers still had their one-goal lead.

Plattsburgh (19-7-3) finally broke through at the 15:05 mark when RIT was in the process of being called for a penalty. Kistner put a shot on net from an angle and Emma Rutherford was there to put in the rebound from in close.

"Coach (Houle) prepares us very well for our games against RIT," Rutherford said. "We just didn't get the right bounces today."

The Cardinals had plenty of chances to win the game in regulation, finishing with a 33-25 advantage in shots on goal over the first three periods

But overtime was a different story as the Tigers came out on the attack. RIT held a 6-1 edge in shots in the extra session and pressured the Plattsburgh net before Grigg decided the issue.

Ariane Yokoyama took the puck down the right side and centered a pass to Grigg, who was crashing the net. Grigg deflected the puck past Plattsburgh goalie Sydney Aveson, who played another strong game.

"It was a really good play," Aveson said. "She went backdoor and there wasn't much I could do about it."

"It comes down to battling and executing," Houle said. "I felt we were able to carry the play at times."

The Tigers, who were 1-1-1 in three games against the Cardinals this season prior to Friday, took the lead with 11:29 gone in the first period.

Aveson made a save, but the puck deflected in front to Marissa Maugeri, who beat the Cardinals' netminder from straight on.

Plattsburgh held a 12-10 edge in shots in the first period and had a couple of flurries in front of the RIT net, one coming on the lone power play of the stanza.

"I felt we were back on our heels a little in the first period at times, but we were able to make some adjustments," Houle said.

Aveson made a big save in front with 6:35 gone in the second period, and the Cardinals then applied some pressure of their own as they outshot the Tigers, 13-8, in the stanza.

One of Chamberlain's best saves in the game came when Plattsburgh went on a power play with 8:56 gone in the second. Teal Gove scored two power-play goals on passes to the far side of the net in the Cardinals' quarterfinal victory at Middlebury. She had the same type of scoring opportunity this time, but Chamberlain was able to slide over and make the save.

So despite a 25-18 advantage in shots over the first two periods, RIT still had its one-goal lead heading into the third.

Chamberlain made 33 saves on 34 shots and Aveson stopped 29 of 31 shots.

Both the Cardinals and Tigers are lethal on the power play but both were kept off the board with a player advantage. Plattsburgh went 0-for-5, and the Tigers were 0-for-2.

Norwich 4, Gustavus Adolphus 3, OT
      Leading scorer Julie Fortier re-directed Sarianne Lynn's shot from the point into the net at 4:07 of overtime to lift the defending national champion Cadets (27-2-1) into tonight's title game.

Norwich had to kill off a penalty for the first 1:57 of overtime before prevailing.

Kaycie Anderson, with Fortier assisting, gave Norwich a 3-2 lead at 5:37 of the third before Lindsey Hjelm's power-play goal at 9:33 tied it for Gustavus Adolphus.

Meghan Papagno and Jillayne DeBus also scored for the Cadets, while Melissa Doyle tallied twice for the Gusties (24-3-2).

The game was tied 1-all after one period and 2-all after two.

The Norwich victory sets up a rematch of last year's Division III championship game, when the Cadets skated off with a 5-2 victory.

*—

RIT 2, Plattsburgh 1, OT

Plattsburgh 0 0 1 0 — 1

RIT 1 0 0 1 — 2

First period- 1, RIT, Maugeri (Hills, Zach), 11:29.

Second period- no scoring.

Third period- 2, PSU, Rutherford (Kistner, Parke), 15:05.

Overtime- 3, RIT, Grigg (Yokoyama), 2:30.

Shots on goal:

Plattsburgh 12 13 8 1 — 34

RIT 10 8 7 6 — 31

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Aveson, PSU, 31-29. Chamberlain, RIT, 34-33.

Power plays (goals-opportunities): Plattsburgh, 0-5. RIT, 0-2.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
        Look closer then...you see the puck fall onto the back of her leg, the tumble down onto the ice to the goal line, and then she and the puck are pushed into the net...then the net is dislodged. Looked like a good goal to me. But it's all moot now anyway.
        As an impartial observer let me say I think you are both correct. Just as the puck finishes tumbling past the legpad, a stick blade comes in and obscures the sight-line to the puck. As Chamberlain slides backwards into the net it is obvious that the puck went with her, but you cannot actually see it under the stick blade. A tough ruling either way. At least Platty got the tying goal later on so they had the opportunity to overcome this call.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
          Tomorrow is a historic day, it will be RIT's last game as a DIII program for women's hockey.
          Is that official ?

Comment

• Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            Is that official ?
            No. But it could be in about 48 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
              Is that official ?
              No.
              -M

Comment

For what it is worth,I thought it was a goal. I was standing at about the RIT D zone blue line (to Chamberlain's stickside) and clearly saw the puck go in behind her before she sprawled with the puck beneath her left pad and the net coming off. No whistle, the goal light came on, but I think it was Mann, never signalled goal from his position on the goal line. Really immaterial at this point. It looked like Plattsburgh was coming on, then they were so incredibly flat in the OT. Great game and neither team (or goalie) deserve to lose!
                The same could be said of the nightcap. I thought Norwich got a bit ahead of themselves after their first goal and the Gusties carried play for the rest of the 1st. After that it was super end to end back and forth flow. Gustavus showed they could play and then some (although they had trouble with the Norwich D pinching off their breakout up the half boards all game and never adjusted). Fitting for Fortier to get the gamewinner on a deflection.
                I was rooting for the upset, but it will be an interesting coda if indeed RIT is leaving DIII; the Cadets looking to repeat and the Tigers trying to prove last year was all wrong and take the hardware with them as they exit.
                Should be another excellent day at Ritter!

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                  As Chamberlain slides backwards into the net it is obvious that the puck went with her, but you cannot actually see it under the stick blade.
                  I disagree; the only thing touching the puck at the point Chamberlain started getting pushed backwards was an RIT player's stick. It's not at all clear that the puck went with Chamberlain when she was pushed backwards.

To be clear, though, I think there's probably a 75% chance the puck did actually cross the goal line, though there's no telling for sure.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                    No.
                    very comfortable with my source. And as Lerchie put it in his tweet last night...its the worst kept secret in DIII women's hockey that the program is playing its last game as a DIII program today.

RIT women's hockey has been accepted into CHA and will be playing a DI schedule next season. That's the word from more than a few people who would know, none of whom are going on the record until the school makes its formal press release, but it's not exactly a state secret.
                    Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

I have heard from "reliable sources" that RIT has not scheduled DIII opponents for next season. I cannot imagine other teams are keeping an open spot for them just in case the DI thing does not pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by westsidetigersfan View Post
                        very comfortable with my source. And as lerchie put it in his tweet last night...its the worst kept secret in diii women's hockey that the program is playing its last game as a diii program today.

Rit women's hockey has been accepted into cha and will be playing a di schedule next season. That's the word from more than a few people who would know, none of whom are going on the record until the school makes its formal press release, but it's not exactly a state secret.
                        baaazzzzinnnggaa
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          I disagree; the only thing touching the puck at the point Chamberlain started getting pushed backwards was an RIT player's stick. It's not at all clear that the puck went with Chamberlain when she was pushed backwards.

To be clear, though, I think there's probably a 75% chance the puck did actually cross the goal line, though there's no telling for sure.Powers &8^]
                          I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. From the location of the puck once it disappeard under the stick, there really was no way it didn't continue across the goal line as Chamberlain et al slid backwards, however knowing it went in and seeing it go in are apperently two different things. It was still a great game and as Obserbear said, neither team deserved to lose that game. I'm looking forward to tonight's game. I think GAC is my sentimental favorite. I mean, if Duke can lose in the first round, anything is possible. Besides, NU is overdue for an audit of their grant awards.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                            Besides, NU is overdue for an audit of their grant awards.
                            And what may I ask triggers this comment?
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              And what may I ask triggers this comment?
                              Just poking a little fun, DD. I'd much rather be talking about Midd's chances of winning tonight, but...

Although, 10 Canucks attending a US military college on one roster.....

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
                                very comfortable with my source. And as Lerchie put it in his tweet last night...its the worst kept secret in DIII women's hockey that the program is playing its last game as a DIII program today.

RIT women's hockey has been accepted into CHA and will be playing a DI schedule next season. That's the word from more than a few people who would know, none of whom are going on the record until the school makes its formal press release, but it's not exactly a state secret.
                                Sounds good. It would / will be great to see better competition in the CHA. Looks like the conference is headed that direction.
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X