Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 NCAA Tournament

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
    Penn and Lindenwood, IIRC already formerly announced as joining the CHA, but others closer to the CHA may be able to elaborate on it.
    Just to keep the record straight, "PENN" is the short-hand name for The University of Pennsylvania, a private Ivy League school located in West Philadelphia. "PENN STATE" is the short-hand name for The Pennsylvania State University, a pseudo-public/state university whose principle campus is in the town of University Park in central, rural Pennsylvania. Although both are highly regarded schools, they are very distinctly different. Penn has not had anything but men's and women's club hockey since the late '70s and, then, its only non-club (NCAA) team was a D1 men's team. Penn State has had generally strong club programs (especially the men) playing at the D1 level in the ACHA, but has never had NCAA hockey teams, which, of course, is changing next year for both men and women.

Comment

Gustavus ripped off by the refs at the Ritter.

Comment

Plattsburgh 4
        Gustavus 3
        OT

Third straight OT game...great tournament games so far!!
        Western futility continues.

Comment

There is ZERO chance, absolutely ZERO, that Sacred Heart would join any D1 league.

Comment

RIT wins 4-1. Congrats to the Tigers.
            ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
              Plattsburgh 4
              Gustavus 3
              OT

I missed the games today... so what is the story on the disallowed goal reported in the recap of the Platty-Gustie game?

Comment

Originally posted by RJDJR View Post
                I missed the games today... so what is the story on the disallowed goal reported in the recap of the Platty-Gustie game?
                It was a clean break into the Plattsburgh zone by Christensen and she took a shot from the slot that trickled in 5 hole as Aveson went down, but Szkola, who was in the corner to Aveson's left, clearly blew her whistle before the puck got into the net. The refs did confer, but did not change the call.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  It was a clean break into the Plattsburgh zone by Christensen and she took a shot from the slot that trickled in 5 hole as Aveson went down, but Szkola, who was in the corner to Aveson's left, clearly blew her whistle before the puck got into the net. The refs did confer, but did not change the call.
                  Thanks for the quick reply! So how many tenths of a second could it have possibly taken for the puck to trickle into the net? Why would any referee blow the whistle that quickly on a clean break shot? Doesn't a ref need to give it at least a second or two to have the opportunity to tell whether the puck is actually controlled by the goalie or not? I feel terrible for the GA players who performed admirably throughout the tournament, from what I saw.

Comment

RIT 4 Norwich 1, just in case anyone was wondering.

Nothing against Norwich -- they are an outstanding hockey team and played their hearts out. But RIT just wouldn't be denied this, their last chance at a championship, and on home ice no less. The stars were aligned tonight.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Just an amazingly intense game for the DIII title with RIT coming out on top 4-1. This was the most physical women's game I have seen and kudos to Mann and Remillard for keeping things from getting totally out of control.
                      The Norwich penalty kill was tested early and withstood more than 1:30 of 5x3 attack early in the 1st. RIT cashed the only powerplay goal of the game midway in the period when Moss' slapshot from the left point got through traffic and beat Fisk up on her short stickside. The goal engendered a brief span of chaos with bodies flying all over the ice. RIT had 3 players in the box to Norwich's 1 and play was largely in the RIT D zone but Chamberlain was equal to the test. She conveys an almost nonchalant calm as she sweeps the puck away and directs it to the corner. Norwich was buzzing around and outshot RIT 13-8 for the period. They evened the score at 1-1 when Guay sprang Invernizzi with a nice feed out of center; Invernizzi had a decoy to her left, took the puck down right wing to the edge of the circle and her shot was saved by Chamberlain, but Perez was trailing the play and jammed the rebound home from the top of the crease. Chamberlain made a big stop on Fortier at 19:00 and then scrambled at the stickside post to avert a put back and keep the score tied. The 2nd saw RIT putting lots of pressure on , but play continued to be very physical and all moves of the puck were contested. RIT took the lead early in the 3rd when Kunichika lugged the puck out of center and broke down right wing 2x1; she took her time, dangled and drew the D to her at the low edge of the right circle before making a perfect feed to Brown at the top of the crease; Brown tucked the puck in the net beating a moving Fisk up stickside. Minutes later Brown returned the favor, grabbing a Norwich D give away in the right corner and then slipping the puck to Kunichika who was able to come right to left across the mouth of the crease and beat Fisk with a backhand to the stickside. RIT scored the thirf goal of the 3rd when Brown again fed Kunichika out of center ice; Kunichika moved down left wing and worked into the high slot; her shot was aved by Fisk but the rebound was put back by a trailing Hills beating Fisk up stickside. Norwich had a late powerplay but chose not to pull Fisk for an extra attacker until after the penalty expired and time had run under 2 minutes. Special teams have to be the big story for this game as the RIT kill was able to deny Norwich on 7 chances and the Tigers converted 1/4 tries of their own. Chamberlain was named outstanding player of the tournament and certainly would have gotten my vote.
                      Another year in the books. It all started in Northfield that crazy weekend of the snow storm way back in the end of October. I drove a lot of miles, made some new friends, saw a lot of great kids play a game they love and did not "annoy" the Editor off too much (after all we did meet watching a Williams@Manhattanville game, and the final was not on her birthday this year), so hope to see you all next year!

Comment

Cards take third place
                        JOHN CORYER
                        Press-Republican The Press Republican Sun Mar 18, 2012, 03:23 AM EDT

ROCHESTER — The Plattsburgh State women's hockey team wasn't playing in the game it was hoping for Saturday.

But the Cardinals put their disappointment aside and pulled out an exciting 4-3 overtime victory over Gustavus Adolphus in the NCAA Division III third-place game at Frank Ritter Arena.

Both the Cardinals and Gusties played a spirited game after losing in overtime to RIT and Norwich, respectively, the day before in the national semifinals.

RIT claimed the championship in Saturday's second contest.

In the third-place game, Teal Gove forced overtime for Plattsburgh (20-7-3) with nine seconds left in the third period, and Justine Fisher won it with 2:51 gone in the extra session.

The Cardinals also sent seniors Fisher, Erika Shaubel, Helen Giroux and Kylie Klassen out with a win in their final game.

Plattsburgh took a 2-1 lead into the third period.

The Gusties, however, tied it with 9:19 gone in the third. Carolyn Craayer got the puck between the circles, turned and beat Plattsburgh goalie Sydney Aveson.

Plattsburgh nearly regained the lead with 5:30 left in regulation, but Gustavus Adolphus netminder Danielle Justice stopped Jordan Caldwell on a breakaway.

The Cardinals, who were called for five penalties in the game as opposed to only one for Gustavus Adolphus, were whistled for an interference penalty with 1:33 remaining, and the Gusties (24-4-2) took advantage. Leading scorer Allie Schwab sent the puck into the net from straight on to give her team a 3-2 lead and what appeared to be a victory.

But the Cardinals pulled Aveson for an extra attacker in the final minutes, and Gove tallied with nine seconds remaining to pull Plattsburgh even. Giroux sent in a shot that bounced directly down off the post and Gove was stationed on the side of the net to tap it in.

In the 5-minute overtime, Plattsburgh had possession of the puck when it was deflected to the far side of the net, where Fisher was all alone to slide it into the open net. Caldwell and Chelsea VanGlahn assisted.

Neither team scored in the first period despite both taking 13 shots on goal.

The Cardinals had a golden opportunity to take the lead 20 seconds in when Justice stopped VanGlahn on a breakaway.

Plattsburgh, which got off to a strong start, withstood two penalties later in the stanza and also a Gracie Olson breakaway late in the period that was ruled no goal.

The Cardinals started quickly again in the second and took the lead with 1:24 gone in the period. The puck got loose in front of the Gustavus Adolphus net and Klassen tucked it into the far side.

Plattsburgh then made it 2-0 at the 8:42 mark off some tremendous pressure in the Gusties' end. Gustavus Adolphus couldn't get the puck out of their zone for what seemed to be an eternity before defensman Allison Era beat Justice to her glove side from the point.

The Gusties, who had four power plays in the first two periods as opposed to none for the Cardinals, cut their deficit in half at 10:25. Lindsey Hjelm's shot deflected off a Plattsburgh defensman and past Aveson for a power-play goal.

The Cardinals preserved their 1-goal lead by killing off a penalty that started with 52 seconds left in the second and carried over into the third.

Gustavus Adolphus finished with a 39-35 advantage in shots on goal. Aveson, who had a strong post season for the Cardinals, stopped 36 of 39 shots. Justice made 31 saves 35 shots for the Gusties, who had as many losses over the weekend as they did up until then.

Championship RIT 4, Norwich 1
                        Kourtney Kunichika scored a goal and assisted on three others as top-ranked and host RIT captured its first Division III women's hockey national title in the only game this weekend that didn't go into overtime.

Celeste Brown added a goal and two assists for the Tigers (28-1-1), who scored three third-period goals after the two teams entered the period tied at 1-all.

Brown gave RIT a 2-1 lead just 1:23 into the third. Kunichika made it 3-1 at 8:39, and Ali Hills closed out the scoring at the 11:59 mark.

Laura Chamberlain stopped 27-of-28 shots in net for the Tigers.

RIT's Kristina Moss opened the scoring with a power-play goal at 9:06 of the first period before Jacqueline Perez answered for the Cadets (27-3-1) at the 14:47 mark.

The opening stanza was filled with penalties, seven in all, and Norwich failed to take advantage of some power-play opportunities.

The Tigers, who were outshot by a 13-8 margin in the first, outgunned the Cadets by a 12-4 edge in a scoreless second.

Kelly Fisk stopped 28-of-32 shots in the Norwich nets.

The Tigers gained revenge for a 5-2 loss last year to the Cadets in the national title contest.

-

Third-place game

Plattsburgh 4,

Gustavus Adolphus 3, OT

Score by periods:

Plattsburgh 0 2 1 1 — 4

Gustavus Adolphus 0 1 2 0 — 3

First period- no scoring.

Second period- 1, PSU, Klassen (Rutherford, Kistner), 1:24. 2, PSU, Era (Kistner, Favretto), 8:42.

3, GA, Hjelm ppg (Carroll, Schwab), 10:25.

Third period- 4, GA, Craayer (Kennedy), 9:19. 5, GA, Schwab ppg (Cartony), 18:56. 6, PSU, Gove (Giroux), 19:51.

Overtime- 7, PSU, Fisher (Caldwell, VanGlahn), 2:51.

Shots on goal:

Plattsburgh 13 9 11 2 — 35

Gustavus Adolphus 13 11 14 1 — 39

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Aveson, PSU, 39-36. Justice, GA, 35-31

Power plays (goals-opportunities): Plattsburgh, 0-1. Gustavus Adolphus 2-5.

Championship

RIT 4, Norwich 1

Score by periods:

Norwich 1 0 0 — 1

RIT 1 0 3 — 4

First period- 1, RIT, Moss ppg (Kunichika, Schlattman), 9:06. 2, Nor, Perez (Invernizzi, Guay), 14:47.

Second period- no scoring.

Third period- 3, RIT, Brown (Kunichika), 1:23. 4, RIT, Kunichika (Brown), 8:39. 5, RIT, Hills (Kunichika, Brown), 11:59.

Shots on goal:

Norwich 13 4 11 — 28

RIT 8 12 12 — 32

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Fisk, Nor, 32-28. Chamberlain, RIT, 28-27.

Comment

Wow...those were some exciting games. I agree that the disallowed goal Friday night against RIT should have been a good goal -- but you sure can't see it in real time or slow-mo replay and the ref called what he saw -- he should have consulted with goal judge. The disallowed goal Saturday against Plattsburgh was rather shameless and the quickest whistle for no apparent reason. I guess for Platty those two even out -- although I bet they would rather have the first one back. What kills me is that GAC played extremely well and looks good for next year too but that the 10 seconds left goal was allowed when their player was sitting in the crease on Justice's lap for the shot and Gove's tap in....just doesn't make sense with all the other disallowed goals why you allow that one. But great job to all the women! Couldn't have asked for more excitement Friday and Saturday with overtime too!!!! Money's worth and then some.
                          "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
                          -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

I will say I was surprised that Fisk got the Goalie slot on the All-Tournament team over Aveson (Chamberlain was MOP and thus apparently ineligible for the All-Tournament team). Fisk allowed seven goals on the weekend, including three late in a previously tied game in the final, while Aveson kept her team close and into overtime in both of her games, allowing only four goals. Plus RIT ended up with only two players (plus Chamberlain) on the All-Tournament squad, which struck me as unusual.

Still, a great tournament and a great way for RIT to end their D-III days. I hope when the tournament moves to a neutral site that the energy level and fan interest can be maintained.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              I will say I was surprised that Fisk got the Goalie slot on the All-Tournament team over Aveson (Chamberlain was MOP and thus apparently ineligible for the All-Tournament team). Fisk allowed seven goals on the weekend, including three late in a previously tied game in the final, while Aveson kept her team close and into overtime in both of her games, allowing only four goals. Plus RIT ended up with only two players (plus Chamberlain) on the All-Tournament squad, which struck me as unusual.

Still, a great tournament and a great way for RIT to end their D-III days. I hope when the tournament moves to a neutral site that the energy level and fan interest can be maintained.

Powers &8^]
                              Yeah the All-Tournament team was a bit of a mystery.

They never consulted any of the four SIDs and just picked it themselves.

Personally I thought Celeste Brown got the biggest shaft and I would have picked kunichika for most outstanding player. She did have a hand in all four goals.

I really hope both the D3 men and women national committees take a strong look at combining the championships in Lake Placid next season. Great exposure for D3 getting eight teams together for three incredible days of hockey and 7 games.

I've tried to get the bug planted in the women's committee's ear.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                                Plattsburgh 4
                                Gustavus 3
                                OT

Gustavus futility continues...they really should just bow out gracefully next year and give someone else a shot.

I wouldn't be too arrogant, and go buy the ref that blew her whistle early a present. Plattsburgh needs things gift wrapped to win. 5 minute major in the quarterfinals and a disallowed goal that would have made them lose the game.

Its really too bad that Gustavus couldn't have pulled one of these overtime games out. I would think the eastern folks would be a little more humble about the fact that all 3 games involving east/west matchups this year were pretty much even right up til the end. Norwich easily could have gone done Friday, and Plattsburgh was given the gift.
                                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                                X