Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D3 NCAA Tournament

Originally posted by spike View Post
    I will miss having a NESCAC team at FF. Tough to feel bad about Amherst not making it as Norwich thoroughly earned that spot. As for Midd, well I suppose we can finally put to bed those allegations about Mandigo getting all the calls in his rink? Actually, it seems as if the two Midd/Platty games that had a winner this year were both influenced by the referees, and in both cases the home team got the short end of it. Lucky for Platty their loss came early. Now that we have a NESCAC-free FF, perhaps its time for a Western champ as well? Go you Gusties!
    Granted I've only seen a handful of games at Kenyon Arena involving the Middlebury women but coach Mandigo certainly didn't get the call to go his way last year in the Norwich/Middlebury regular season game when Midd had a goal waved off and then Norwich came back and scored moments later to pick up the crucial win. If Norwich doesn't win that game last year, the Cadets are probably left out of the tournament for Plattsburgh.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

The major penalty call in the 3rd, definitely determined the outcome of the Midd/Platty game. Both teams were playing great. Neither had much luck 5 x 5, so it was going to come down to a special teams situation. Giving a team a 5 minute major at that point in a closely played, one goal game, pretty much decides the outcome. Both players were going hard into the boards for a puck. Probably a penalty worthy play but no way it called for a 5:00 major and ejection of the player. It would have been nice to settle this with all the players on the ice. Yes, the rules are the same from the drop of the puck to the final buzzer, but late in an important game, unless the foul was obviously blatant, it's hard to understand dramatically altering the balance of the game with this type of call. Congrats to the Panthers on a great season. Congrats to the PSU Cards on a hard fought game and best of luck through the rest of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
        The major penalty call in the 3rd, definitely determined the outcome of the Midd/Platty game. Both teams were playing great. Neither had much luck 5 x 5, so it was going to come down to a special teams situation. Giving a team a 5 minute major at that point in a closely played, one goal game, pretty much decides the outcome. Both players were going hard into the boards for a puck. Probably a penalty worthy play but no way it called for a 5:00 major and ejection of the player. It would have been nice to settle this with all the players on the ice. Yes, the rules are the same from the drop of the puck to the final buzzer, but late in an important game, unless the foul was obviously blatant, it's hard to understand dramatically altering the balance of the game with this type of call. Congrats to the Panthers on a great season. Congrats to the PSU Cards on a hard fought game and best of luck through the rest of the tournament.
        Agreed, to bad the officiating determined the outcome of a NCAA playoff game. It was very strange end between having a incredibly questionable major call, not sure if anyone would think it was a major, and then they buried their whistles on several calls after that?

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
          I totally agree with you, however, Middlebury's two goals were scored on a 5 on 3 situation, on what some would say were questionable calls as well, at a point in the game when it could have totally deflated the Cardinals, and demoralized their goalie. Plattsburgh scored the only 5x5 goal in the game, so I guess the outcome would have been the same, if it were determined solely on 5x5 play. It was a great game between two very evenly matched teams, and it absolutely could have gone either way, and both teams took advantage of opportunities that they had to in order to win in these types of situations. So, it was the even strength goal scored by Plattsburgh that ultimately won the game for them. Good game, two good teams....

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            Granted I've only seen a handful of games at Kenyon Arena involving the Middlebury women but coach Mandigo certainly didn't get the call to go his way last year in the Norwich/Middlebury regular season game when Midd had a goal waved off and then Norwich came back and scored moments later to pick up the crucial win. If Norwich doesn't win that game last year, the Cadets are probably left out of the tournament for Plattsburgh.
            I agree that the no-goal call clearly contributed to Norwich getting into the tournament and Platty staying home. The difference with that call is that the ref had to either allow or disallow the goal, and to be honest it is hard to argue that it was the wrong call. In this case, they could have called a penalty or not called a penalty, flip a coin, but to assess a 5-minute major was a use of discretion that clearly impacted the game.

Comment

Originally posted by statusquo View Post
              I totally agree with you, however, Middlebury's two goals were scored on a 5 on 3 situation, on what some would say were questionable calls as well, at a point in the game when it could have totally deflated the Cardinals, and demoralized their goalie. Plattsburgh scored the only 5x5 goal in the game, so I guess the outcome would have been the same, if it were determined solely on 5x5 play. It was a great game between two very evenly matched teams, and it absolutely could have gone either way, and both teams took advantage of opportunities that they had to in order to win in these types of situations. So, it was the even strength goal scored by Plattsburgh that ultimately won the game for them. Good game, two good teams....
              The first Midd goal was 5-3, the second was on a 5-4. I thought both of those penalty calls were reasonable. At this level games are usually determined by special teams play. If they had called a minor on Greer and Platty tied the game, then i don't think we're even having this discussion.

Comment

The first Midd goal was 5-3, the second was on a 5-4. I thought both of those penalty calls were reasonable. At this level games are usually determined by special teams play. If they had called a minor on Greer and Platty tied the game, then i don't think we're even having this discussion.
                Also, with that ridiculous call, middlebury loses its leading scorer for the rest of the game. One other question, what was with the Plattsburgh players laying on the ice a few times, helped by the trainer to the bench, and then miraculously playing on their very next shift. Seems a little suspicious. Hmmmm??

Comment

Yes, I realize that the second goal scored by Middlebury was a 5x4 but it was a 5x3 situation that Plattsburgh had to defend against, basically putting Middlebury on the power play for almost 4 minutes, and 1 1/2 minutes with a two man advantage. Middlebury took advantage and scored, 5x3 and 5x4. The calls were questionable, because it was a discretionary call by the official. Those types of infractions happen basically all the time, sometimes getting called, and sometimes not. When you put a team in a postion where they are down two players, that's when it becomes questionable. YOU think they were reasonable because you were pulling for Middlebury, and you think the 5 minute major was ridiculous, for the same reason. I was only watching the game online, but it was a check from behind. Dangerous plays should always get called, and obviously the ref thought it was bad enough to warrant a 5 minute major. He was on the ice and watched it happen. Regardless, this game could have easily gone either way, and both teams played great.

Comment

Originally posted by rinky dink View Post
                    Also, with that ridiculous call, middlebury loses its leading scorer for the rest of the game. One other question, what was with the Plattsburgh players laying on the ice a few times, helped by the trainer to the bench, and then miraculously playing on their very next shift. Seems a little suspicious. Hmmmm??
                    Are you actually being serious right now??? It's the NCAA tournament. These girls have been working their behinds off all year to get to this position. Short of a broken bone or concussion, they are going to do everything in their power to get back on the ice and play in what could potentially be their last game of the season, or career. Sometimes, the air gets knocked out of you and you can't move, let alone get off the ice. Sometimes, something really hurts, but once you get up and move around you are able to shake it off and keep playing. And it's the trainers job to go out to check on the well being of his players. And as far as Middlebury's leading scorer being out for the rest of the game....maybe she should have more control over her actions and NOT check somebody from behind. Hmmmm????

Comment

Originally posted by statusquo View Post
                      Are you actually being serious right now??? It's the NCAA tournament. These girls have been working their behinds off all year to get to this position. Short of a broken bone or concussion, they are going to do everything in their power to get back on the ice and play in what could potentially be their last game of the season, or career. Sometimes, the air gets knocked out of you and you can't move, let alone get off the ice. Sometimes, something really hurts, but once you get up and move around you are able to shake it off and keep playing. And it's the trainers job to go out to check on the well being of his players. And as far as Middlebury's leading scorer being out for the rest of the game....maybe she should have more control over her actions and NOT check somebody from behind. Hmmmm????
                      Wow, must have hit a chord. Hmmm???? You miss a lot when only watching on line. She had control, and it was a bogus major call, maybe 2 minutes, but even that is questionable.

Comment

Wow, must have hit a chord. Hmmm???? You miss a lot when only watching on line. She had control, and it was a bogus major call, maybe 2 minutes, but even that is questionable.
                        So, are you saying she intentially hit another player from behind, because she was in control?... I was at least giving her the benefit of the doubt that she had somehow lost control, and unintentially hit her from behind. And yes, you did hit a chord. If I were to take your assumption at face value that Plattsburgh players were staying on the ice to get calls, I would have to assume that that tactic actually works. Again, I only watched the game online, but the two times that a Plattsburgh player stayed on the ice, only one of those times, was a penalty called, and that was the 5 minute major. And he called that LONG before it was apparent that she was not getting up right away. Also, there was one time that a Middlebury player took a long time to get off the ice, and she also came back to play in her next shift. So your statement is baseless, and intended to be inflammatory. AGAIN, as I have stated before, both teams are quality teams, and the game could have gone either way.

Comment

Haha...thanks for giving me my first USCHO Forum laugh in quite a while!!

I've watched and followed the Middlebury/Platsburgh rivalry for more than six years now. I know both coaches and know they coach in a similar manner. They have a real and high respect for the integrity of the game and approach each game with a "play the game hard, no nonsense after whistles, no dirty stuff, win/lose, shake hands and go home" creed. BOTH coaches approach the game similarly and that's why the Middlebury/Platty games are so good. To say players would intentionally act in the manner you describe is laughable. I know for a fact that Coach Houle would never allow a player to dive to get a call. And pretty sure the Middlebury coach would not either. It's just not how they approach the game.

But thanks for your weird and wild analysis!

And good luck to Platty in the Final Four this weekend!!

Comment

One other question, what was with the Plattsburgh players laying on the ice a few times, helped by the trainer to the bench, and then miraculously playing on their very next shift. Seems a little suspicious. Hmmmm??
                            Every kid at a very young age is taught to stay down on the ice any time they think they may have been injured until the coach or trainer has come out to talk to them. I think this is something USA Hockey instructs in all it's coaching clinics. For the safety of the player and insurance reasons.
                            4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                            SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 4and20 View Post
                              Every kid at a very young age is taught to stay down on the ice any time they think they may have been injured until the coach or trainer has come out to talk to them. I think this is something USA Hockey instructs in all it's coaching clinics. For the safety of the player and insurance reasons.
                              Hmm...interesting...in Canada we tell the kids to suck it up and get off the ice...dont stop the entire game just because you have a litle boo boo...

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                                Hmm...interesting...in Canada we tell the kids to suck it up and get off the ice...dont stop the entire game just because you have a litle boo boo...
                                That must be the difference between private insurance and the government-run program? Or is it the difference between sue for anything and everything in this country and civilized behavior north of the border....
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95
                                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                                X