X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich hockey 2012-2013: Our thread closed before Owsego's

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    The lyrics to "The Spirit of Old N.U." are:

What is meant by U.V.M. - it appears it may be "dear old Mild" and "old Mild" in Latin is "vetus miltis" but I can't find a "U" word in Latin for "dear", anyone know U.V.M. is there - or what is meant by "dear old Mild"???
    Norm,
    I am not sure what you are asking. If you are asking what UVM stands for here it is: Universitas Viridis Montis (University of the Green Mountains), also known as the University of Vermont. For much of our (Norwich's) existence, UVM was a major rival, expecially in the late 1800's and 1st half of the 1900's, we even played them in football as late as 1962 or 63. Since the lyrics you reference were probably created in that time frame, the reference to UVM makes sense.

If that is not what you were asking, I apologize in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguard View Post
      Norm,
      I am not sure what you are asking. If you are asking what UVM stands for here it is: Universitas Viridis Montis (University of the Green Mountains), also known as the University of Vermont. For much of our (Norwich's) existence, UVM was a major rival, expecially in the late 1800's and 1st half of the 1900's, we even played them in football as late as 1962 or 63. Since the lyrics you reference were probably created in that time frame, the reference to UVM makes sense.

If that is not what you were asking, I apologize in advance.
      Thank you for your reply, I am well aware of the University of Vermont going by UVM and am glad to now know that it means Universitas Viridis Montis (University of the Green Mountains).

The lyrics are by by Gus Nelson (NU class of 1924); with an arrangement for full military band by Rupert Henry Whitcomb. Since Gus was a student in the early 1920's (i.e. the "1st half of the 1900's"), that is likely it. A copy is available in the Norwich library and on the internet here.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        Thank you for your reply, I am well aware of the University of Vermont going by UVM and am glad to now know that it means Universitas Viridis Montis (University of the Green Mountains).

The lyrics are by by Gus Nelson (NU class of 1924); with an arrangement for full military band by Rupert Henry Whitcomb. Since Gus was a student in the early 1920's (i.e. the "1st half of the 1900's"), that is likely it. A copy is available in the Norwich library and on the internet here.
        Per Charlie the title for this thread should have been 'wick what?
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

I here asst. coach Mattson took one for the team.

Comment

watching Plymouth vs Wentworth, no score half way through the third. I think I just saw Prez dressed up as the "Green Man" on the boards in the Wentworth zone. He mentioned going in cognito (SP).
            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Per Charlie the title for this thread should have been 'wick what?
              For the record, IMO, "Wick" is a takeoff of this.
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by wickfan View Post
                I here asst. coach Mattson took one for the team.
                17 stitches...sitting right next to me.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

PrezdeJohnson09
                  What happen? Where did he get hit? Is he okay? Assume he was scouting WI/PS. Correct?

Watched what I could of the broadcast (it was on and off). Neither Wentworth or Plymouth looked very smooth--with lots of up and down--back and forth. The size of the rink seemed to effect Wentworth's game (they play at home in a larger joint 200'X90').

Prezede....you were there. What was your impression of Wentworth? Problems? Opportunities? Can they run with our big dogs?
                  Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                  Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                    What happen? Where did he get hit? Is he okay? Assume he was scouting WI/PS. Correct?

Watched what I could of the broadcast (it was on and off). Neither Wentworth or Plymouth looked very smooth--with lots of up and down--back and forth. The size of the rink seemed to effect Wentworth's game (they play at home in a larger joint 200'X90').

Prezede....you were there. What was your impression of Wentworth? Problems? Opportunities? Can they run with our big dogs?
                    Steve is doing fine. He'll be okay.

He was there scouting and also did a video exchange with Wentworth.

As for my thoughts on Wentworth....they really looked discombobulated in the first 20 minutes. Plymouth was carrying the play and Wentworth kept trying to do the same thing on the breakout with a lot of individualism and finesse moves around Plymouth State players and it just wasn't working. Neither side really had any great opportunities in the first.

In the second Wentworth started to get things rolling and its ironic they were down 1-0 after 40 minutes because I thought they dominated Plymouth that period. PSU captalized on the 4x3 advantage though with some nice puck movement for an easy tap in goal.

Wentworth's first goal the PSU goalie way over committed to the shot and completely left the left side of the net wide open which was more than enough room for Jameson on the PP. They ran an umbrella style PP.

Second goal was a nice individual effort that the guy could even stay on his feet while evading a Plymouth defender. Then he faked the goalie out of his pads and slid it behind him to make it 2-1 Wentworth.

I didn't think either team was overly fast and I wonder if Wentworth will have issues keeping up with some of our speedsters on the big ice at Kreitzberg. The Leopards goalie also wasn't tested much at all so I'm not really sure what to think on him. He was flopping all over the place in the closing minutes with the goalie pulled but Plymouth couldn't score even though they had two great chances at it.

Plymouth started to run about two lines by midway through the second period and I think they ran out of gas a little bit.

The Jamesons are both good players for Wentworth. Keep an eye on 13 and 5 on Saturday night.

We'll see what happens Saturday but I think Norwich's speed and depth will be awfully tough for Wentworth to contain.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

To bad for coach Mattson. Could have been hawk if you had offered him the 4th seat & a ticket

Comment

Steve is doing fine. He'll be okay.

He was there scouting and also did a video exchange with Wentworth.

As for my thoughts on Wentworth....they really looked discombobulated in the first 20 minutes. Plymouth was carrying the play and Wentworth kept trying to do the same thing on the breakout with a lot of individualism and finesse moves around Plymouth State players and it just wasn't working. Neither side really had any great opportunities in the first.

In the second Wentworth started to get things rolling and its ironic they were down 1-0 after 40 minutes because I thought they dominated Plymouth that period. PSU captalized on the 4x3 advantage though with some nice puck movement for an easy tap in goal.

Wentworth's first goal the PSU goalie way over committed to the shot and completely left the left side of the net wide open which was more than enough room for Jameson on the PP. They ran an umbrella style PP.

Second goal was a nice individual effort that the guy could even stay on his feet while evading a Plymouth defender. Then he faked the goalie out of his pads and slid it behind him to make it 2-1 Wentworth.

I didn't think either team was overly fast and I wonder if Wentworth will have issues keeping up with some of our speedsters on the big ice at Kreitzberg. The Leopards goalie also wasn't tested much at all so I'm not really sure what to think on him. He was flopping all over the place in the closing minutes with the goalie pulled but Plymouth couldn't score even though they had two great chances at it.

Plymouth started to run about two lines by midway through the second period and I think they ran out of gas a little bit.

The Jamesons are both good players for Wentworth. Keep an eye on 13 and 5 on Saturday night.

We'll see what happens Saturday but I think Norwich's speed and depth will be awfully tough for Wentworth to contain.
                        Prez are you going to do a preview of the Norwich/Wentworth game on Saturday?

From watching the game on the internet I thought Wentworth had a lot more depth than Plymouth. I agree later in the game it looked like Plymouth was playing just one or two lines all the time. Quick observation is Wentworth looks like a very good D3 team and Norwich will have to play a outstanding game to defeat them. After watching the Babson and US Mass Boston games a couple of weeks ago anying can happen in a D3 game between 2 good teams. Looking at Wentworth's roster they have a lot of players from very good junior A leagues like NAHL, BCHL, and OJHL.

i predict that it will be a very competitive game. Also wish that the coach recover's from his injury ASAP.

Prez what do you think of Plymouth and PSU. I think it is one of the best college towns around and is considered one of the best party schools. I guess I will have to throw my GO PSU sign away since Plymouth is out of the tournament.
                        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                          Prez are you going to do a preview of the Norwich/Wentworth game on Saturday?

Prez what do you think of Plymouth and PSU. I think it is one of the best college towns around and is considered one of the best party schools. I guess I will have to throw my GO PSU sign away since Plymouth is out of the tournament.
                          Yes. Previews for both the mens and women's games will be posted tonight or by early tomorrow morning at the latest.

I thought the Plymouth students were great. Very enthusiatic about being there and pretty loud. Need to work on coordinating their cheers a little more but my hat is off to the three guys that were shirtless at the game because Hanaway WAS NOT warm last night.

The only thing that was unfortunate was there were a few things thrown onto the ice at the end of the game when Wentworth scored its empty netter.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

PrezdeJohnson09: Yes. Previews for both the mens and women's games will be posted tonight or by early tomorrow morning at the latest.
                            What is this all about and where can someone find it? Many thanks. ORNU66
                            Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                            Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                              What is this all about and where can someone find it? Many thanks. ORNU66
                              Did you miss the previews I did for the ECAC East Championship weekends last week? I did one for both.

I'll be sure to post on here once they go up on the website.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

The Norwich Communications Department is putting together a documentary on the 2011-12 Norwich men's and women's hockey teams.

Check out the extended teaser video below. This should be awesome! Especially considering the possibilities of having both teams in the Final Four.

GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X