This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich hockey 2012-2013: Our thread closed before Owsego's

Just went on line and confirmed my season tickets for the quarter final game has been processed. I have to say the scanned game entry card work pretty slick. No tickets to have to worry about. Just need the scanned game entry card to get into the game. I was on vacation and was able to scan my cards into my home scanner and email them to a friend to get into the games. No hassle about standing in line to purchase tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
      I started at Norwich in 1952 and have never heard of Wick until recently. My grandson is a freshman and has no idea where it came from. In fact, I don't know any Norwich grad who does. By the way, I asked him who was NU's big rival and he immediately said it was Caselton.

I think Derrick is right, the big rival is a generational conception. To me it will always be Middlebury. I didn't even know Rutland had a college in the nifty fifties.

NU56
      NU - this is Norwick's thread.

BTW, Wick is the University Chaplain.
      Last edited by norm1909; 03-06-2012, 03:14 PM.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by VT bragging rights View Post
        Just went on line and confirmed my season tickets for the quarter final game has been processed. I have to say the scanned game entry card work pretty slick. No tickets to have to worry about. Just need the scanned game entry card to get into the game. I was on vacation and was able to scan my cards into my home scanner and email them to a friend to get into the games. No hassle about standing in line to purchase tickets.
        That's a great idea.

Oswego tried using hand held scanners ONCE. I think it was the first game of last season. They had 100 people waiting in line to get their tickets scanned to get in. I never saw them try using them again.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          All Owsego's fans do is whine about soft ice, winning 4-2 instead of 6-1, having to pay for tickets, all they do is is say Ow - glad you noticed (Please note, this rant was made in the spirit of fun, not malicious ranting as some Plattsburg fans do WRT Owsego )
          I've read that title a dozen times and just NOW realized it says OWSEGO. Very nice. Personally, I hate the complaining. You're seriously upset that your team ONLY won by 2 goals? Don't blame the ice or officials or anything. You want to win? Play harder. Simple as that.

Comment

In regards to the term "Wick", that is something that has come along recently. I graduated in 67 and it was not around then. I've heard it for about ten years now, and I cringe each time I hear it......and Middlebury will ALWAYS be our biggest rival.. (As an aside, I chuckle when people associate Norwich with the NESCAC crowd, nothing could be farther from reality than that!)
            Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

In regards to the term "Wick", that is something that has come along recently. I graduated in 67 and it was not around then. I've heard it for about ten years now, and I cringe each time I hear it
              The term "Wick" was common when I attended Norwich in the late 70's early 80's. To me it sounds alot better than yelling "Go Wich".
              GO CADETS!
              DIV 3 CHAMPIONS 2000, 2003, 2010

Comment

It was Castleton State Teachers College back in 63 when I graduated from NU. Yes Midd will always be my big rival, but the students today look at Castleton as the big rival. Kreitzberg was jumping last Saturday night, much louder than when we hosted the Panthers. I have no idea where "Wick"came from.
                Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

The tale that I've heard explains "wick" as a pun for the original campus in Norwich, Vt. burning to the ground.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                    In regards to the term "Wick", that is something that has come along recently. I graduated in 67 and it was not around then. I've heard it for about ten years now, and I cringe each time I hear it......and Middlebury will ALWAYS be our biggest rival.. (As an aside, I chuckle when people associate Norwich with the NESCAC crowd, nothing could be farther from reality than that!)
                    Peach, it was at least four years old when I arrived in 1980, because I asked a senior where "Wick" for Norwich came from and he told me that's what it was when he was a freshman.

I arrived in 1980, Went to a game that winter and heard "go Wick", and wondered if we had player named Wick on the roster. Man was that old barn (literally a barn, or stables) a cold place - especially back in the days when we had winter.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Peach, it was at least four years old when I arrived in 1980, because I asked a senior where "Wick" for Norwich came from and he told me that's what it was when he was a freshman.

I arrived in 1980, Went to a game that winter and heard "go Wick", and wondered if we had player named Wick on the roster. Man was that old barn (literally a barn, or stables) a cold place - especially back in the days when we had winter.
                      WOW, Debra Wick has been the Associate Dean for Administration that long!
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                        WOW, Debra Wick has been the Associate Dean for Administration that long!
                        Err... no She is the wife of the Chaplain, by the way.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Err... no She is the wife of the Chaplain, by the way.
                          Really, it's not a coincidence?
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I don't think we'll ever find out the origin of Wick if nobody does by now. My dim mind remembers everyone chanting "Nor-wich" in two parts at the games. Maybe "wich" morphed into "wick"? Anybody on this board wear "pinks and greens" as their Class A uniform at Norwich? Just trying to find out where I fit into this Norwich group.

NU56

NU56
                            Old Member
                            Maybe the Oldest

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
                              I don't think we'll ever find out the origin of Wick if nobody does by now. My dim mind remembers everyone chanting "Nor-wich" in two parts at the games. Maybe "wich" morphed into "wick"? Anybody on this board wear "pinks and greens" as their Class A uniform at Norwich? Just trying to find out where I fit into this Norwich group.

NU56
                              I'm a 1959 NU grad and the first time I heard "Wick" is when Kreitzburgh Arena opened....

Comment

The lyrics to "The Spirit of Old N.U." are:

"There's an old red light that burns for U.V.M. on the track to victory! Where a fighting corps still guards its ruddy glare as it flames so tauntingly; Heed the warning symbol, true and loyal hearts have prepared for alien feet, on the rough, tough trail to the Norwich goal where we never, never sound retreat!

"For the spirit the years have molded in the heart of the Norwich Corps, fights a way to the end undaunted, unbroken as in days of yore; 'Twill live on, down the years, while troopers ride the trails old cadets have made, 'Twill live on till the Norwich colors lead our columns at the last parade."
                                What is meant by U.V.M. - it appears it may be "dear old Mild" and "old Mild" in Latin is "vetus miltis" but I can't find a "U" word in Latin for "dear", anyone know U.V.M. is there - or what is meant by "dear old Mild"???
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X