Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Part II: Hockey Never Sleeps

Originally posted by tjsoundguy View Post
    I'm pretty quiet on the boards, but just wanted to say - I love the SUNYAC pride on this board! The (mostly) friendly rivalry between Oz & Platty doesn't get in the way of real discussion & mutual respect & support.

I've learned a LOT about the game, reading your posts.

Thank You.

---TJ
    Mutual admiration yes, but Platty still sux. Feel the love.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
      From what I have read so far they have a pressure forcheck and may even throw a dman into the mix, perhaps they rely on their goalie to stop any oddman rushes that arise from that...that said we have some pretty good snippppppers who can cash in on a few of those, and tilt the ice.....we know they have a great goalie, but so do we...after that not to sure about them, dont seem to have to many high scorers, I think? they score by committee?? I'm sure we will find out more as the week goes on, should we start a new thread for this game??? ps The 1 thing we for sure is that we have A TON more experience in the FF, I count about 19 players who were there last yr and a bunch more who where there the yr b4, as well as the coaching staff, perhaps this will help us as well..?
      Forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Even in the first period, when Plattsburgh was really clicking and seemed to be the better team on the ice, the Cardinals struggled to get it past the blue line onf their defensive zone, and eve if they did clear it, one of the D would usually pick it up before it even reached the red line. Odd-man rushes? 3-on-2 was the best Plattsburgh got, and half the time they couldn't even manage a shot on net with that. They don't play a particularly tight defense, but they play one of the most aggressive forechecks I have ever seen, and their Ds recover really quickly to cut down the odd-man opportunity. Even if the D doesn't cut it off, LaRose was thoroughly impressive. And to think, he was McKinnon's BACKUP at Neumann???
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
        I just wanted to give a shout out to a couple of former Lakers. Former goaltender Joe Lofberg is the Assistant coach of the Suffern HS Mounties that won the NYS Division 1 State Championship in Utica this past weekend. Former Laker Captain Andy Rozak led the Oswego HS Buccaneers to the Division 2 state title game before dropping a 6-3 decision to a much bigger and faster Kenmore East squad.
        I have a question for both Oswego High School and Kenmore East: I realize that in hockey in NY the size of the school doesn't really determine Div 1 or 2, but; why are these two huge schools playing in division 2. Oswego defeated Saranac Lake in the semi and is almost 2 1/2 times the size in enrollment with bed numbers of 1048 to 443. Oswego HS also plays down a class in football and therefore is not eligible for the playoffs.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

I have no answer to your question Birdwatcher. When I was at Oswego all of our sports were at the top level but after a lot of years of terrible teams they dropped down to be more competitive I guess. My brother plays soccer and they play against West Genny, B'Ville etc. but the hockey team plays all the also rans from D2 instead of the best teams in section 3. My graduating class in 2005 had more kids in it than the entire enrollment of some of the schools that the hockey and football teams play. At least now Oswego is starting to get some coaches that actually know the sports they are coaching rather than teachers.
          Last edited by Laker28; 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I have no answer to your question Birdwatcher. When I was at Oswego all of our sports were at the top level but after a lot of years of terrible teams they dropped down to be more competitive I guess. My brother plays soccer and they play against West Genny, B'Ville etc. but the hockey team plays all the also rans from D2 instead of the best teams in section 3. My graduating class in 2005 had more kids in it than the entire enrollment of some of the schools that the hockey and football teams play. At least now Oswego is starting to get some coaches that actually know the sports they are coaching rather teachers.
            Interesting. I got the impression you had quite a few years on me...apparently we're the same age...
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

I have no answer to your question Birdwatcher. When I was at Oswego all of our sports were at the top level but after a lot of years of terrible teams they dropped down to be more competitive I guess. My brother plays soccer and they play against West Genny, B'Ville etc. but the hockey team plays all the also rans from D2 instead of the best teams in section 3. My graduating class in 2005 had more kids in it than the entire enrollment of some of the schools that the hockey and football teams play. At least now Oswego is starting to get some coaches that actually know the sports they are coaching rather teachers.
              Here in section 7, the two largest schools are Peru, 497 and Beekmantown, 474. The two added together are not the size of Oswego! Plattsburgh HS enrollment (bed number) is only 429!! And actually the enrollment for Saranac lake is only 381, Saranac is 441. The two schools are about 45 miles apart, but border each other on Rt 3.
              Last edited by Birdwatcher; 03-12-2012, 10:24 PM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Interesting. I got the impression you had quite a few years on me...apparently we're the same age...
                Apparently possessing great knowledge and wisdom makes people think you are older than you really are. Actually, it's funny you say that because for whatever reason I have also had an easier time identifying with the older generation than I do with my own.

I am pretty sure I had a class or two with you at Oswego State but I kept a bit of a low profile then.

Comment

Apparently possessing great knowledge and wisdom makes people think you are older than you really are. Actually, it's funny you say that because for whatever reason I have also had an easier time identifying with the older generation than I do with my own.

I am pretty sure I had a class or two with you at Oswego State but I kept a bit of a low profile then.
                  ...the next thing we know you guys will get room together, burn some scented candles and look at yearbooks in Lake Placid...
                  LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                    ...the next thing we know you guys will get room together, burn some scented candles and look at yearbooks in Lake Placid...
                    Go Elmwegowich!
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                      I might be up for that if we were to substitute the burning of the scented candles with burning the yearbooks.

Comment

I cannot answer for the other sports at OHS but their football team has been TERRIBLE for decades. They finally had to drop them down to a lower class because they were so pitiful and it hasn't helpled much - I believe they have won one game the last two seasons and have been outscored by more than 300 pts both times. The hockey team has been competitive on and off for years but I believe the last time they were in the state finals was when Pete Sears was coaching them.

Comment

Originally posted by skipperbob View Post
                          I cannot answer for the other sports at OHS but their football team has been TERRIBLE for decades. They finally had to drop them down to a lower class because they were so pitiful and it hasn't helpled much - I believe they have won one game the last two seasons and have been outscored by more than 300 pts both times. The hockey team has been competitive on and off for years but I believe the last time they were in the state finals was when Pete Sears was coaching them.
                          I just think a school that size should play in Division 1 hockey, not div 2. I know schoolsize isn't the way it is set up, but with over 1000 kids in 9-11(thats the way the enrollment numbers are figured) they should step it up! I just don't understand why the NYSPHSAA dosen't set it up the way most sports are. (hockey and I believe wrestling are the exceptions) AA,A,B,C, and D classes according to enrollment.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                            I have a question for both Oswego High School and Kenmore East: I realize that in hockey in NY the size of the school doesn't really determine Div 1 or 2, but; why are these two huge schools playing in division 2. Oswego defeated Saranac Lake in the semi and is almost 2 1/2 times the size in enrollment with bed numbers of 1048 to 443. Oswego HS also plays down a class in football and therefore is not eligible for the playoffs.
                            This question has bothered me for a few years now because I just don't understand it myself. How do some sports play at the AA level while others play down at the A level? The really confusing part is that why are some sports allowed to play down and still be eligible for the playoffs? Football had a decent team about 4 years ago and were ineligible for the playoffs because we were a AA school but yet the girls lacrosse team made it to the state finals a few years ago playing class B. Same goes for the hockey team this year, play div. I and you get your butts kicked play div. II and make the state finals?

Comment

http://palltimes.com/articles/2012/0...1597716194.txt

Comment

Originally posted by lakerfan View Post
                                This question has bothered me for a few years now because I just don't understand it myself. How do some sports play at the AA level while others play down at the A level? The really confusing part is that why are some sports allowed to play down and still be eligible for the playoffs? Football had a decent team about 4 years ago and were ineligible for the playoffs because we were a AA school but yet the girls lacrosse team made it to the state finals a few years ago playing class B. Same goes for the hockey team this year, play div. I and you get your butts kicked play div. II and make the state finals?
                                The cut-off numbers are different for certain sports like football. Some only have 2, 3, or 4 classes as well. Here is the link: http://www.nysphsaa.org/classification/cutoff.asp

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                                X