Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Part II: Hockey Never Sleeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Part II: Hockey Never Sleeps

Here is my random lines guess, based on absolutely nothing but assumptions, and leaving out all freshman/transfers:

Rodrigues-Moodie-Whitelaw
    Muise-Leimbrock-Ayotte
    C.Carr-Brown-Titanic
    Singleton-Badham-Smrke

McConney-Josepher
    T.Carr-Farris
    Gertsakis-Rivait

Hare
    Jones
    WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

Comment

If you haven't already, Like WNYO Sports on Facebook and spread the word... we're going to be very active in social media this year: http://www.facebook.com/pages/WNYO-S...27814653945390
      Last edited by OSUPBPMike; 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM.
      WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
        well if all this aide stuff is true,then we may find out how good the club team players are
        Interesting article that alludes to US schools limiting aid for non-US players.
        Unfortunately the NCAA is looking to limit the ability of NCAA programs to recruit from Canadian leagues and teams. The NCAA is after all a United States system. More than a few fans have complained about NCAA teams having a majority of Canadian or other imprt players on their rosters. Who can blame those fans when many NCAA programs receive partial funding from US tax dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
          Interesting article that alludes to US schools limiting aid for non-US players.
          cant complain about people in the U.S. wanting more Americans on the teams, we only had 1 import shall we say on our 87 Oz team and we did pretty well, and yes i know its a different world now but the NCAAS may want to get back to how it was with less imports, who knows??

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            cant complain about people in the U.S. wanting more Americans on the teams, we only had 1 import shall we say on our 87 Oz team and we did pretty well, and yes i know its a different world now but the NCAAS may want to get back to how it was with less imports, who knows??
            Well unless you were playing Plattsburgh (0-6-0 GF:19 GA:37) jk

Sorry but I want to watch quality hockey. There was a reason USA hockey was not competing well back then. Yes over the past 15-20 years the US Junior leagues have made big steps, its still not on par with the OPJHL and other leagues from top to bottom. The quality of hockey at the DIII level would suffer no doubt.

Look at what 2 years of no FA did to Plattsburgh back in the mid-2000s and what could happen to Oswego.

Only because I havnt looked it up but do any of the Canadian schools recruit Americans for say baseball, basketball and or football?
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
              Well unless you were playing Plattsburgh (0-6-0 GF:19 GA:37) jk

Sorry but I want to watch quality hockey. There was a reason USA hockey was not competing well back then. Yes over the past 15-20 years the US Junior leagues have made big steps, its still not on par with the OPJHL and other leagues from top to bottom. The quality of hockey at the DIII level would suffer no doubt.

Look at what 2 years of no FA did to Plattsburgh back in the mid-2000s and what could happen to Oswego.

Only because I havnt looked it up but do any of the Canadian schools recruit Americans for say baseball, basketball and or football?
              I choose not to remember the platty games that yr...yes the quality would suffer, but hey as a ex-player I would like to see more opportunities for the American player,example my nephew went to Oswego , not as a player because he would have had a hell of a time making the team as a walk-on, perhaps with half as many imports he would have had a go at it....time will tell what the powers that be have in store, and from the stuff/sanctions/infractions what have you, that we have seen in the SUNYACs who knows....sidebar Brockport has half of canada coming in next yr

Comment

I've heard from numerous people that are directly involved with recruiting in DIII, that there are more issues with American players. First is that all the American player’s think they are going to Boston College or Michigan. Second is that they hold out and wait until April, May or even later to make a commitment to a DIII school when the Canadians realize the opportunity and will commit in January, February and March. And third is that the American players feel like they are better than DIII and feel entitled to "perks", playing time ect. as soon as they walk on campus. That doesn't always make the best combination for "team play".

Comment

• Originally posted by SUNYHockey View Post
                  I've heard from numerous people that are directly involved with recruiting in DIII, that there are more issues with American players. First is that all the American player’s think they are going to Boston College or Michigan. Second is that they hold out and wait until April, May or even later to make a commitment to a DIII school when the Canadians realize the opportunity and will commit in January, February and March. And third is that the American players feel like they are better than DIII and feel entitled to "perks", playing time ect. as soon as they walk on campus. That doesn't always make the best combination for "team play".
                  I agree with most.of what you're saying....

1. Most Americans DO want to go to the BUs BCs Michigans ect of NCAA DI hockey. Just as most Canadians woukd like to get drafted into the OHL and top tier Junior leagues.

1a. Hockey in Canada is so differrnt then hockey in the majority of the US with MI and MN being somewhat close. USA hockey has come a long way but its not the same or on par.

2. Most Canadians go and spend a few years after HS in the Junior system where the American junior system is more of a HS and done.

Keep in mind too the DEPTH between the top US and bottom US players is much bigger then the Canadian players. While the US does produce some good talent grade A players, those players are picked up quickly by the US colleges or OHL teams. The middle of the pack players (B players) are more plentiful in the Canadian system. Thus good DIII teams fill their rosters with them.

3. Agree in part. One of the best coaches in DIII said something years ago when asked about recruiting. He basically said I don't want players who want to come to Plattsburgh, I want players who think they are good enough and probably are good enough to make top DI schools but want to play now or found out they wouldn't make the DI team. Once their dreams of DI (American or Canadian) are crushed they look elsewhere. Some Americans "hold out" in hopes of a DI school sure, but lets face it most of the top DIII players and teams were recruited or recruit. They don't have a bat phone next to their desk where little johnys mom calls and says "hey coach we love your program and want to go there". Most of your top DIII players have several schools (DI and DIII) interested.

Would you rather higher a stockboy who's dream is to be a stockboy or one who thinks he could.be the CEO one day?

Going on tho, what the other issue is is that teams just simply don't recruit as heavy in the American market because the pond is that much smaller of talent. Once those big fish are gone to the big DI schools the minows are not as good as the fish in the Canadian market.
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

...yes the quality would suffer, but hey as a ex-player I would like to see more opportunities for the American player,example my nephew went to Oswego , not as a player because he would have had a hell of a time making the team as a walk-on, perhaps with half as many imports he would have had a go at it....time will tell what the powers that be have in store, and from the stuff/sanctions/infractions what have you, that we have seen in the SUNYACs who knows....sidebar Brockport has half of canada coming in next yr
                    ........eliminating Canadians, and in the process finding it acceptable that the hockey would be inferior sounds un-American.
                    The fabric of US College hockey was woven with Canadian players before you even learned to skate.

Your nephew obviously chose Oswego for reasons that did not include hockey. If he had the ability to make the Oswego program minus Canadian students, and playing DIII hockey was his goal I'm sure he would have been able to find a school that suited his abilties some where in the USA.
                    Last edited by NorthernLite; 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

It's a privilege to play intercollegiate athletics at any level and participation should not have anything to do with your birthplace or passport....
                      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                        ........eliminating Canadians, and in the process finding it acceptable that the hockey would be inferior sounds un-American.
                        The fabric of US College hockey was woven with Canadian players before you even learned to skate.

Your nephew obviously chose Oswego for reasons that did not include hockey. If he had the ability to make the Oswego program minus Canadian students, and playing DIII hockey was his goal I'm sure he would have been able to find a place to play in a DIII program.
                        Yes he went to Oz for the schooling , but just talking numberwise if thats a word, he may have had a chance....he did not want to choose a school that didnt have the program that he wanted just to play hockey, because as we know these payers are not going to the N HL and school is the most important thing in the 4yrs there....ps hes now going to grad school is January...how many days to the puck drops??????

Comment

...how many days to the puck drops??????
                          LakerEagleLover

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                            It's a privilege to play intercollegiate athletics at any level and participation should not have anything to do with your birthplace or passport....
                            However, the ability to pay for school does.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              However, the ability to pay for school does.
                              Not sure where you are going with this...but I am ready to learn.
                              LakerEagleLover

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                                Not sure where you are going with this...but I am ready to learn.
                                Ya gotta pay to go to a D-III school as there are no free lunches. The only difference between a hockey player and a physics major is that the hockey player is involved in an extracurricular activity. Both are (or should be) held to the same standards be it academic or financial.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X