Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Part II: Hockey Never Sleeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dutchmen_04 View Post
    from someone close to the situation in Oswego, the Lakers will be sanctioned (no playoff ban or vacated championships, but will lose their aid package for sure).

Also, to say they may lose a player or two because they can no longer afford it is likely a euphemism for mass exodus, but only time will tell on that piece
    correct...it will have a much larger impact on incoming students. Those seniors have a lot to prove. One year of an extra loan wont be a big finacial strain providing they can get one.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Part II: Hockey Never Sleeps

Many moons ago in another SUNY institution, there were "violations" which included but were not limited to : grabbing a glass of orange juice from a host family's refridgerator, making phone calls to home from the coaches office, etc, which had little or no bearing on the performance on the ice which resulted in a "vacated" National Championship.

To their credit, Oswego never claimed that title (being the losing team in the National final). Those young men who won that championship are bitter to this very day. Let's hope this all doesn't mean what it could mean.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
        correct...it will have a much larger impact on incoming students. Those seniors have a lot to prove. One year of an extra loan wont be a big finacial strain providing they can get one.
        Can anyone tell how the Oswego financial aid packages compare to other SUNY schools like Plattsburgh or Potsdam. I always wondered how Oswego always seem to recruit more higher level recruits than any other SUNY school.
        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Man dont know where to start on this one, but well have to wait and see what the man puts down.....yea I dont think Oz will lose any seniors/jrs but may find a few sophs waffleing and depending on the nuts and bolts of this the new recruits will have some thinking to do.....still havnt heard back from Lakereaglelover, whom I guess has some good inside connections, and havnt heard from OSUMike??

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
            Can anyone tell how the Oswego financial aid packages compare to other SUNY schools like Plattsburgh or Potsdam. I always wondered how Oswego always seem to recruit more higher level recruits than any other SUNY school.
            I think the financial aid in question is the International aid to undergraduate students residing on campus. Since a majority of the international students are Canadian this raises the question. There is also the Residential aid package for out of state undergraduate students living on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
              Much better...by a few G's Ive been told over Plattsburgh. Not sure on Potsdam, but I would imagine its even greater.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
                I think the financial aid in question is the International aid to undergraduate students residing on campus. Since a majority of the international students are Canadian this raises the question. There is also the Residential aid package for out of state undergraduate students living on campus.
                I don't have $ amounts, but it is important to note, that according to the American Educational Guidance Center, Oswego's percentage of international students is 1% whereas Plattsburgh's percentage is 5%. With Oswego's small numbers of international students, it is extremely difficult to offer an international aid package and keep the ratio's in line with NCAA expectations - unless they force some international students to forgo the aid.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

• Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                  Many moons ago in another SUNY institution, there were "violations" which included but were not limited to : grabbing a glass of orange juice from a host family's refridgerator, making phone calls to home from the coaches office, etc, which had little or no bearing on the performance on the ice which resulted in a "vacated" National Championship.

To their credit, Oswego never claimed that title (being the losing team in the National final). Those young men who won that championship are bitter to this very day. Let's hope this all doesn't mean what it could mean.
                  If the institution you are referring to is the one im thinking of didn't some other violations include free housing and free Canadians tickets?
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    If the institution you are referring to is the one im thinking of didn't some other violations include free housing and free Canadians tickets?
                    Yeah, this. I don't think the OJ was the part that made them really bring down the hammer on said Mystery School.
                    Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                    A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                    A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                    A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                    Some National Championships:
                    Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                    Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

no news today is good news?????

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        I know (or knew) all the parties involved and is was a pure witch hunt. 2 of the SUNYAC's more established coaches were in a position to damage that program and did so. Had more to do with their mutual hatred of the coach at the time. I never heard of any free hockey tickets, but that type of thing could happen to anyone on a given night at the local hockey tavern.

As far as the housing goes, I think there was a "greatly reduced rate" for sure. I'd find it hard to believe that wasn't the case at some of the better programs at the time. In fact, I know it was going on other places.These were mostly poor canadian farmboys who wouldn't have otherwise been able to go to school. Some have done remarkably well in the years after. In all seriousness, one of the major infractions was the use of the coach's phone during the day. If cell phones were around then, no biggie.

Not only did the two coaches fan the flames, the programs administration caved as expected to save their own hides. A few years earlier, the same adminstration member would have the whole team over to his house for pizza yet didn't stand behind the team when the going got rough.

Sorry for the history lesson!!

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                          I know (or knew) all the parties involved and is was a pure witch hunt. 2 of the SUNYAC's more established coaches were in a position to damage that program and did so. Had more to do with their mutual hatred of the coach at the time. I never heard of any free hockey tickets, but that type of thing could happen to anyone on a given night at the local hockey tavern.

As far as the housing goes, I think there was a "greatly reduced rate" for sure. I'd find it hard to believe that wasn't the case at some of the better programs at the time. In fact, I know it was going on other places.These were mostly poor canadian farmboys who wouldn't have otherwise been able to go to school. Some have done remarkably well in the years after. In all seriousness, one of the major infractions was the use of the coach's phone during the day. If cell phones were around then, no biggie.

Not only did the two coaches fan the flames, the programs administration caved as expected to save their own hides. A few years earlier, the same adminstration member would have the whole team over to his house for pizza yet didn't stand behind the team when the going got rough.

Sorry for the history lesson!!
                          Your opinion of the NCAA rules themselves can be defended, but they were clearly set out in NCAA legislation, and Plattsburgh (in the case of the most important charges) knowingly broke them. Whether the investigation ramped up because Paul Duffy was out for blood over his opinion of Steve Hoar, or other teams got away with similar practices, is irrelevant. It isn't a witch hunt if you actually did the stuff you were accused of doing.
                          Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                          A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                          A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                          A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                          Some National Championships:
                          Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                          Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

It looks like we won't have too much longer to wait.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-P...36128149815214

http://plattsburgh.johnstrubel.com/2...ce-of-winning/

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                              Your opinion of the NCAA rules themselves can be defended, but they were clearly set out in NCAA legislation, and Plattsburgh (in the case of the most important charges) knowingly broke them. Whether the investigation ramped up because Paul Duffy was out for blood over his opinion of Steve Hoar, or other teams got away with similar practices, is irrelevant. It isn't a witch hunt if you actually did the stuff you were accused of doing.
                              I accept your opinion, but it was still a witch hunt.

Comment

anyone have anymore news on the/our "situation"....... no NOT the guy from the Jersey Shore

Comment

Working...
                                X