Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
    While I would never claim that CC has a really loud crowd for most games, you should keep in mind that MTU isn't exactly a draw, and many of the least energetic crowds I've been around have been for Tech and UAA. CC fans are not much different from most fans in this regard, though. I'm not a loud fan most of the time either, though. If that makes me "pathetic" so be it.

In most places with a good atmosphere, it's the student section that creates it, not the general fans. No excuses for the student section at CC. They are a joke most of the time. When they show up at all.
    I'm sure that was alot of it for me. I made macinnes loud again so when I go somewhere that has had more success it's sad that they don't have a loud student section.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      One does not simply possess these abilities naturally.
      There can be only one ring... LOL!
      Originally posted by vizoroo
      Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
      Originally posted by duper
      I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
      Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
      Originally posted by dggoddard
      Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post

Donald has always been bitter. That will likely never change.
        No need to hate on Donald. Most people don't get him but I consider him a friend. I was joking with him.

He took care of me in Anchorage last year but I respect him beyond that. The whole UAA fan base was awesome.
        I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.

Comment

• Re: MTU @ CC 3/2 - 3/3 Just a two game series or maybe up to 5 games in 10 days?

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          I'm sure that was alot of it for me. I made macinnes loud again so when I go somewhere that has had more success it's sad that they don't have a loud student section.
          I agree. I think it's pathetic that a program as strong as CC has such a crappy student section.

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
          No need to hate on Donald. Most people don't get him but I consider him a friend. I was joking with him.
          I wasn't hating, but I also wasn't joking. Lol.
          Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
          -dggoddard

Comment

I admit, given the opponent I wasn't expecting much, but man, it was less than I expected given the home-ice factor. It was pathetic. Now, I appreciate the efforts of a few diehards, one of which offered condolences after Fri's game, but still...

I think back to a classic movie line, "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it."

This is the truth.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I admit, given the opponent I wasn't expecting much, but man, it was less than I expected given the home-ice factor. It was pathetic. Now, I appreciate the efforts of a few diehards, one of which offered condolences after Fri's game, but still...

I think back to a classic movie line, "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it."

This is the truth.
              What?

FYI - the movie you quoted came out nearly 30 years after my mom and dad ever had intercourse. It's too bad they didn't have a Plan B...
              Last edited by ronmexico; 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM.

Comment

For those of you cc fans who think Tech is the cause of your attendance problems, that's what DU said last year. They were mad that when Tech was there, there were a few unsold seats. Now that Tech has not played in denver all year and they still have attendance problems, suddenly they are looking at other possible reasons. Letters to the editor in the student paper, etc. In fact, this perceived attendance issue is one of the reasons for the bhhc. Protecting the brand was the watchword if I remember correctly, and CC was right there agreeing every step of the way.

The reasons you are not drawing are a lot more complex than which team is in town. So after we are gone, don't expect attendance will get better. The only thing that is for sure to happen is that your expenses will go up.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  One does not simply possess these abilities naturally.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I find the whole attendance discussion very strange. Despite being a small school, CC typically is in the top 6 nationally in attendance. That's pretty good, particularly since people in the city associate themselves with the school very little - it is generally considered more of a puzzling aberration than a source of local pride or affiliation. I certainly will admit that the atmosphere leaves quite a bit to be desired. However, I don't think it's any worse than (just to pick two) UNO or DU. The arena was particularly quiet this past weekend, but even on a good night it's not a boisterous crowd. I suspect it's largely a demographics issue. With about 1,900 students, CC is always going to have around 95% families and townies in the crowd, with 5% students. That just doesn't make for a loud, boisterous environment. But lots of people do pay to come in and watch the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                      I find the whole attendance discussion very strange. Despite being a small school, CC typically is in the top 6 nationally in attendance. That's pretty good, particularly since people in the city associate themselves with the school very little - it is generally considered more of a puzzling aberration than a source of local pride or affiliation. I certainly will admit that the atmosphere leaves quite a bit to be desired. However, I don't think it's any worse than (just to pick two) UNO or DU. The arena was particularly quiet this past weekend, but even on a good night it's not a boisterous crowd. I suspect it's largely a demographics issue. With about 1,900 students, CC is always going to have around 95% families and townies in the crowd, with 5% students. That just doesn't make for a loud, boisterous environment. But lots of people do pay to come in and watch the games.
                      I can't argue with you about comparing it to DU, I've felt the same way about Magness. I have not been to UNO yet, hopefully I'll make a trek down there next season. Atmosphere to me, is one of the big things that makes college hockey great. Experience the back and forth between 50 visiting fans and the crease creatures in Madison is one of my favorite experiences of roadtrips, it's what made going to the DECC and now Amsoil so entertaining. I just don't see that from the colorado schools.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I can't argue with you about comparing it to DU, I've felt the same way about Magness. I have not been to UNO yet, hopefully I'll make a trek down there next season. Atmosphere to me, is one of the big things that makes college hockey great. Experience the back and forth between 50 visiting fans and the crease creatures in Madison is one of my favorite experiences of roadtrips, it's what made going to the DECC and now Amsoil so entertaining. I just don't see that from the colorado schools.
                        We all have altitude sickness, sorry, not our fault. It's not quite Machu Picchu but it would appear that your friend Frodo Baggins understands.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Regarding the games. It appears that it takes around 10 days to get acclimated to the altitude.( 4 weeks totally),and that Vo2 max is affected over 4500 ft.
                        I do a lot of hiking and if you hike Machu Picchu, the outfitter requires 4 days in town before the hike starts, minimum. it's a four day hike that tops at 13,000 ft.

So will they be acclimated, no, but they will be in a lot better shape than on saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Unless you want to skate on the rutted, muddy ice up in Monument you'll have a hard time finding any ice time in the area right now.
                          They can probably get ice in Denver. But if that's too far, they should look at Pueblo. It less than 40 miles, and there is always ice time available down there. Not ideal, but it's ice.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          The only thing that is for sure to happen is that your expenses will go up.
                          I still don't understand this. CC already flies pretty much everywhere.

I just don't see that from the colorado schools.
                          Even the Avalanche are a ho hum atmosphere most of the time. Somebody said it's because there are no students, just older people. That's probably true too. The only rowdy schools we have are tucked away up north in Boulder, Fort Collins, and Greeley and the students aren't allowed out of northern Colorado to play. I'm not sure why Colorado adults are more laid back though.

A bad crown at the World Arena is still 6,500 people. For college hockey, that's still pretty good. Even if it is mostly old folks who start to nod off in the 3rd after two beers.

Can I ask a question that is not in any way meant to be a poke. Why is Michigan Tech completely off the Pairwise radar? I see Wisconsin, Bemidji, and St. Cloud all on there. Is it just because of who you guys lost to?

I know it's a long shot. But from CC's perspective, looking at the Pairwise, does Tech not being there hurt CC's chances (if we win) as compared to if they were playing one of those other even lower ranked teams?

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                            Can I ask a question that is not in any way meant to be a poke. Why is Michigan Tech completely off the Pairwise radar? I see Wisconsin, Bemidji, and St. Cloud all on there. Is it just because of who you guys lost to?

I know it's a long shot. But from CC's perspective, looking at the Pairwise, does Tech not being there hurt CC's chances (if we win) as compared to if they were playing one of those other even lower ranked teams?
                            Simple math. (c)
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

A bad crown at the World Arena
                              I've never had a bad Crown at the World Arena. I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Comment

It's been a very long time since I geeked out on all the PWR details, so I could be mistaken here. I am fairly certain that one of the things holding CC down in the PWR is their record against teams under consideration (TUC). Because MTU isn't a TUC wins against them don't help all that much, but on the plus side losses against them don't hurt CC's TUC record either (unless MTU becomes a TUC).

Comment

Working...
                                X