Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    It's from California, that'll guarantee a review.

I see the day where there will be no "spousal" benefits, no marriage deduction, nothing that will relate to marriage. In the eyes of the government we'll all be single and it will be everyone for themselves. Is that a good thing?
    So this is an honest question. I swear. I don't understand a lot about the tax code so, why exactly would eliminating the marriage deduction be a bad thing? I kind of get why it's there, and I can certainly see why people wouldn't want to get rid of it, but if it did go away, what would be the negative repercussions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Engineers are the plumbers of a civilization... Without them, the real point of human existence, great art, literature, theology and philosophy, is somewhat less likely to happen... So, hail to the engineers. But, let's be serious... use the service entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by duper View Post
    So this is an honest question. I swear. I don't understand a lot about the tax code so, why exactly would eliminating the marriage deduction be a bad thing? I kind of get why it's there, and I can certainly see why people wouldn't want to get rid of it, but if it did go away, what would be the negative repercussions?
    if they do the tax code right, little or no effect. But what if the family health plan was dumped in favor of individual policies? Or the lower car insurance for married folk? There's probably more, but those two are the ones that come to mind.

Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    if they do the tax code right, little or no effect. But what if the family health plan was dumped in favor of individual policies? Or the lower car insurance for married folk? There's probably more, but those two are the ones that come to mind.
    I don't see the health plan thing going that way. In fact, more and more it is going exactly the opposite way (ie, you don't necessarily have to be married to put your better half on your plan) and car insurance wouldn't make sense, because that discount is based on actuarial tables, which show that married people get in less accidents.

But I see that your point is the slippery slope thing. I have to admit that I would rather see marriage benefits extended in some reasonable way to non-married couples than eliminated entirely if those two options were the only available choices. While I don't see a reason for government to recognize a religious rite (or sacrament, depending on your religious beliefs) as also being a legal contract, I do think that there is a societal benefit to encouraging people to stay in committed relationships for the long-term.

OK. Thanks for the answer.
    Engineers are the plumbers of a civilization... Without them, the real point of human existence, great art, literature, theology and philosophy, is somewhat less likely to happen... So, hail to the engineers. But, let's be serious... use the service entrance.

Tangled abstract fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by exileondaytonstreet View Post
    the slow and steady always win the race. You know that.
    Nice
    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Handyman

Inspired by Actual Events

Is it true that Barry tried to surrender to Hamid Karzai this morning? Was he drunk?
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    2011 & 2013 USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion

The Merchant of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Is it true that Barry tried to surrender to Hamid Karzai this morning? Was he drunk?
    Sounds like the Kenyan.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

USCHO Poser of the Year Championships: 2011, 2012, 2013

Just assume I'm being an idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    Hey, you're actually correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Sounds like the Kenyan.
    turned out he was just apologizing for America again.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

turned out he was just apologizing for America again.
    The appropriate diplomatic response would have been to force American Muslims to form a human cartoon of Mohammed on The Mall and then drop incendiaries on them from drones.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

The appropriate diplomatic response would have been to force American Muslims to form a human cartoon of Mohammed on The Mall and then drop incendiaries on them from drones.
    maybe, but it would make an awful mess.

Quote Originally Posted by duper View Post
    It's not quite that there is a marriage "deduction" as it is that much of the personal income tax code centers around "household" income, which implicitly views a family as a single economic unit. Not trying to enter into the realm of value judgment or whether this treatment is "good" or "bad" or "neutral", merely making a factual observation. Some of it is historical inertia; there was a time in which one spouse primarily worked outside the home for pay while the other spouse worked inside the home without pay, and so the personal income tax code at that time recognized that the former's earned income also provided financial support for the latter. If married filing jointly brackets were exactly twice a single-filer bracket then on this point at least the personal income tax code would be economically neutral.

Even today, in many families, one spouse works full-time while the other spouse works part-time, and so the treatment of "household" income recognizes that frequently the latter derives substantial financial support from the former.

At one time there was a quaint old-fashioned notion that the personal income tax code should not be used to advance social ends.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 02-23-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"While I thought it was the light at the end of the tunnel, in reality it was the headlight of an oncoming train."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

Drunkard

What was the story with the Koran burnings that started it?

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    What was the story with the Koran burnings that started it?
    AJ story here.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Drunkard
    AJ story here.
    Why be so upset over an apology in that case? Sure it probably got blown out of proportion, but There's not much we can do about that other than to show contrition so people can get over it and move on. It goes hand in hand when you have to deal with different cultures.

The Merchant of Truth

Why be so upset over an apology in that case? Sure it probably got blown out of proportion, but There's not much we can do about that other than to show contrition so people can get over it and move on. It goes hand in hand when you have to deal with different cultures.
    It means we are surrendering to their judgment. That's why there's such a problem. He's basically saying everyone in this country should turn to Islam.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

USCHO Poser of the Year Championships: 2011, 2012, 2013

Just assume I'm being an idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    Hey, you're actually correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.

Quote Originally Posted by flagdude08 View Post
    it means we are surrendering to their judgment. That's why there's such a problem. He's basically saying everyone in this country should turn to islam.
    what???!!!!

Drunkard
    It means we are surrendering to their judgment. That's why there's such a problem. He's basically saying everyone in this country should turn to Islam.
    Wow. That's some fine trolling.

Yep, still here

*******http://i1018.***********.com/albums/af303/bluebell4/troll20.jpg********
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

*golfclap*
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass is 75%: Still 75%. Everybody is back but everybody got stomped by Who?

I'm sorry - nobody was actually upset about the apology. I was just trying to make a stupid joke, but Kepler outdid me again without breaking a sweat.

I'm sorry - nobody was actually upset about the apology. I was just trying to make a stupid joke, but Kepler outdid me again without breaking a sweat.
    Well, almost nobody.

It's a good thing we're more respected around the world now though:
    *******http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/23/article-2104801-11DB9E2F000005DC-766_306x530.jpg********

Thread Information