Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    So Scooby Doo, how do you feel about the "baby boom" generation?
    LOL.

Before we build the fire for the Boomer auto de fe, we should define it. I've seen lots of definitions by DOB. 1940-59 seems popular. Personally I've always liked to define it as born after Hiroshima and before the Kennedy assassination. (Although that puts me on the pyre by a few months.)

Generational markers, a modest proposal:

9/11/2001 -- 9/11
    1/20/1981 -- Reagan
    11/22/1963 -- JFK
    8/6/1945 -- Hiroshima
    11/24/1929 -- Black Thursday
    2/17/1898 -- Remember the Maine
    12/17/1880 -- Creation of Edison Electric Company
    3/12/1861 -- Start of Civil War
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Forest and trees, my friend. Forest and trees.

Your vaunted balanced budget raised the age for collecting Social Security. Think that matters to rich people? Not even a little. Who does it hurt the worst? The poorest of the poor who pay no federal income taxes. So even you, Mr. Bleeding Heart, are asking for contributions from everybody across the board to accomplish a balanced budget. That's all I was trying to say, and you agree with me.
      Read what I wrote on there about shared sacrifice. When I think of "taxes going up across the board" that means redrawing the tax table so the guy making minimum wage pays 15%. I don't call raising the retirement age a "tax" but whatever.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      If JFK were to run for President today, he would most definitely NOT be a liberal. Libertarian, if anything. He'd probably have the best luck under the Republican ticket today.
      I think his views on Civil Rights might exclude him from the GOP. Same with Truman. And if Abe and Teddy ran today they'd be Democrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I think his views on Civil Rights might exclude him from the GOP. Same with Truman. And if Abe and Teddy ran today they'd be Democrats.
        That's because Republicans are anti-Civil Rights and pro-slavery, for black people.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

That's because Republicans are anti-Civil Rights and pro-slavery, for black people.
          Their actions since 1964 are a lot closer in time than their actions in the 1860's.

When you dance with racists it's probably not a shock you get called racist from time to time.

If it's any consolation, I think most of us realize the national GOP are amoral, cynical, opportunistic manipulators. Not racists.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Forgive me for falling asleep in history class, but from post reconstruction through the late 60's or so, wasn't the entire Southern delegation Democrat?

And weren't Civil Rights for blacks suppressed during that time?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Thankfully, many of the past injustices are behind us. However, I said Civil Rights which embodies not only the liberation of blacks (1860s) but seeing them as equals (1950s), as well as the woman's movement (1848-present) and the rights of GLBT when it comes to housing, employment, marriage etc. How progressive has the GOP been on those rights?

*****http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/418600_10150561405801275_177486166274_9406342_1235 297640_n.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I think most of us realize the national GOP are amoral, cynical, opportunistic manipulators.
                That describes both major political parties equally well, don't you think?

Re-election first, last and always!
                Last edited by FreshFish; 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  If there were a contest to come up with 5-word summaries of classics in political science, you just opened a commanding lead with David Mayhew's Congress: the Electoral Connection.
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Forgive me for falling asleep in history class, but from post reconstruction through the late 60's or so, wasn't the entire Southern delegation Democrat?

And weren't Civil Rights for blacks suppressed during that time?
                    Yes it was...back then the Dems were conservatives and the Republicans were the liberals. (in Lincoln's mold) It wasn't until Truman put forth the plan for Civil Rights that the Southern Dems walked out and the parties shifted. The GOP went right and the Dems went left.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Quite frankly, I believe anyone that tries to make a separation is a racist. If democrats are claiming republicans to be racist because of a certain candidate's color, then the democrats themselves are racist. I don't care what the person looks like, I just want to know their positions on issues. Just because I don't like Obama's stance on health care doesn't make me a racist. I could say the exact same thing for the exact same reasoning for anyone else (such as Clinton's similar idea in the early part of his Presidency).

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        That describes both major political parties equally well, don't you think?

"I was too busy trying to keep my job that I forgot to do my job." -- Andrew Shepard, "The American President"

Comment

There is a large subset of the conservative/GOP coalition that believes the President should fit a certain mold, which is a graying white Protestant male with an Anglo sounding last name. Racism isn't the right word for that. Its more like these people are dinosaurs yearning for an early 1950's culture that's been gone a long, long time.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            There is a large subset of the conservative/GOP coalition that believes the President should fit a certain mold, which is a graying white Protestant male with an Anglo sounding last name. Racism isn't the right word for that. Its more like these people are dinosaurs yearning for an early 1950's culture that's been gone a long, long time.
                            Bring back beards and mustaches!
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Bad news. The Forbes 400 goes down to Dan Snyder at $1.05B, so that's a pretty good approximation for "our billionaires." Their net worth is only $1.53T. Figure they're all pretty shrewd investors, so let's say they're increasing their wealth (on average) by 15% each year. This gives a total income of $228B, which even with a 100% tax rate would not even come close to covering our deficit - forget about paying down any of the $15T debt.

Taxing a few hundred billionaires is not a silver bullet and is practically irrelevant to the overall math of balanced budgets. Anyone screaming for a tax on billionaires is looking to score political points, not solve problems.

I'm not anti-tax - taxes absolutely should go up, but they need to go up across the board. The fact that a few hundred billionaires will end up paying more taxes as a result of the changes is neither here nor there, and should not be the focus of any sincere tax policy.
                              I wasn't implying they could solve the deficit, only that if everyone thinks taxing them more does anything to help (besides making the bitter people feel better), then we would be better off applying the money directly at the issue instead of wasting it on government red tape.

It isn't just the billionaires that can't solve the issue, there isn't enough money in the country to eliminate the debt, period.

We can debate the current president's abilities among ourselves on here but nobody will convince me that his whole 'millionaires' campaign is anything more than an attempt to gather votes. He knows it won't solve the problem, he knows it isn't assured that the country's fortunes would be better if we did take more of their money...all it does is distract from the real issues.

I agree with you, it still may be the right thing to do, but making the whole election about wall st. vs. main st. is just blowing smoke and convincing people that the solution is that simple.

My continuous question to those who believe the country gets better if Bill Gates pays more taxes is "when does it stop?"...it doesn't even qualify as a band-aid solution...it is no solution at all but Obama has sure convinced people that they'll get a job if Warren Buffet pays more taxes.

The estimated cost of the MLK memorial is $120mm. 20 years of work and expense and they didn't get his quote right. Does it honor the man to spend $120million dollars on a statue and 4 acres of land we already owned? Is that really a tribute to what he sought to do? He must be turning over in his grave.

Of course we're going to spend $535 million over 2011 on trying to improve troubled grade schools. No telling how many campaigns now exist to solve troubled schools and how many should be killed to fund the new campaign, but nobody does that math, it is just $535million more dollars thrown into a rat hole.
                              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Nah. What we need is for a future President to have a mullet.

Comment

Working...
                                X