Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
    You say that as if it matters.

What happens with the economy and Iran over the next 7 months is what will determine the outcome of the election - not a couple dudes verbally sparring with each other in a carefully scripted environment two or three times.
    I doubt it. Perhaps the economy but the Republicans and Mitt Romney have shown to be complete idiots on the economy. Running against the Ryan plan is going to net Obama some serious support. The only way Iran comes into play is if something really happens and I have serious doubts about that.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
      You say that as if it matters.

What happens with the economy and Iran over the next 7 months is what will determine the outcome of the election - not a couple dudes verbally sparring with each other in a carefully scripted environment two or three times.
      THIS. I watched the debates in 2008, but only to watch McCane and Palin get throttled. It'll be the same this time around. When the economy improves, nothing Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum can say will make people want to vote for them.
      1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

plenty of people will vote, for each party...the reds will get >45% of the votes, so will the blues. The last 10% will decide it, like most elections. Whether that breaks 60/40 or 70/30 will determine the degree to which one side will declare it a clear mandate.

Only XXX days until we see the first "this election completely validates my party and proves the other is irrelevant"
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
          plenty of people will vote, for each party...the reds will get >45% of the votes, so will the blues. The last 10% will decide it, like most elections. Whether that breaks 60/40 or 70/30 will determine the degree to which one side will declare it a clear mandate.

Only XXX days until we see the first "this election completely validates my party and proves the other is irrelevant"
          51% is a mandate.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            51% is a mandate.
            or sometimes 49%
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              or sometimes 49%
              We learned in 2004 that 51% is a mandate

Don't you have some spam to post?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Don't you have some spam to post?
                It starts out as right wing garbage, but in mookie's hands it becomes beautiful:

*****http://cdn.funcheap.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/trashbash_flyer1.jpg******
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  How quickly we edit our memories!

How do you explain the overwhelming votes in Congress in favor of the initial Iraq action? Something like 96 - 2 in the Senate.

And how do you explain that BHO basically has continued all of GWB's anti-terror policies unchanged?
                  Bush was the commander in chief, he had that power anyways. And even then the majority of Dems voted against it. If you're looking for blame for its passage...only 7 out of over 200 GOPers voted against it.

Pursuit of terror? That's an American deal. The Iraq war? That's a conservative deal.

Conservative 84% supported the Iraq war...with 44% of liberals at its high point in 2003. Gallup.

> The Medicare part D prescription drug benefit was a liberal expansion of entitlement benefits (although it was designed using conservative economic principles; it remains the only entitlement program in which actual spending was actually lower than projected spending).

> His collaboration with Bono on AIDs aid to Africa.

> His collaboration with Ted Kennedy on No Child Left Behind.
                  This is the best you can do? No child left behind turned out to be a debacle...and was dumped as soon as Obama was in office. And if that leaves you with a Medicare policy and Bono for a 8 year administration...your on weak ground. Let's not discuss any minor social positions such as his support for banning gay marriage.

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  well.. if you're calling recent GOP administrations "conservative" by definition, then we're just right back to arguing over how to define the word, so it doesn't matter. I'll let the smart people talk about it.
                  Again, you define it differently than everyone else.

Percent voting for GW Bush in 2004:

By political philosophy:

Liberal 13%
                  Independent 48%
                  Conservative 84%

Roper Public Opinion Archives

Fifty-seven percent (57%) of Americans view President George W. Bush as politically conservative. Nineteen percent (19%) say the 43rd president of the United States is politically moderate, while 11% see him as liberal. Rasmussen.
                  Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Bush was the commander in chief, he had that power anyways. And even then the majority of Dems voted against it. If you're looking for blame for its passage...only 7 out of over 200 GOPers voted against it.
                    GOPers do not equal conservatives. We've gone over this.

Pursuit of terror? That's an American deal. The Iraq war? That's a conservative deal.

Conservative 84% supported the Iraq war...with 44% of liberals at its high point in 2003. Gallup.
                    Considering the political polarization in America since 2000, you don't think that obstructionist ideology could be to blame, could you? Of course, I'm sure you don't think Saddam Hussein to be a terrorist......derp.

This is the best you can do? No child left behind turned out to be a debacle...and was dumped as soon as Obama was in office. And if that leaves you with a Medicare policy and Bono for a 8 year administration...your on weak ground. Let's not discuss any minor social positions such as his support for banning gay marriage.
                    Which was replaced by the equally-as-repugnant "Race to the Top". Yawn.

Again, you define it differently than everyone else.

Percent voting for GW Bush in 2004:

By political philosophy:

Liberal 13%
                    Independent 48%
                    Conservative 84%

Roper Public Opinion Archives

Fifty-seven percent (57%) of Americans view President George W. Bush as politically conservative. Nineteen percent (19%) say the 43rd president of the United States is politically moderate, while 11% see him as liberal. Rasmussen.
                    Again, ideological stereotypes mean nothing. Bush was a true conservative like Rover is a true logical thinker. It just ain't true.

(Besides, when have liberals ever believed ANYTHING the American people have said?)

BTW: It is "you're". Not "your". Use of the English language demands SOME respect around the finest political forum in sports.
                    Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Fiscal conservatives in America are an endangered species. Social conservatives and your more extreme liberals are around, but are taken for granted by their parties and mostly have their issues ignored on a national level, with the exception of this current anti-abortion law push by ALEC (which still means they were ignored by "their" party, and are doing it on their own)
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Amusing to see righties try to define "conservatism" as something other than what's been practiced out of the Republican party over the last 15 years. I don't think Houdini struggled this much to get out of the trap they're caught in.

The problem for the houseplante's of the world is that "traditional conservatives" as they want to call themselves don't exist anymore. They've all died off, much like we no longer have Free Soilers, Whigs, Bull-Moose, etc, etc. Fiscally conservative, socially libertarian but optimistic leadership only exists in the fantasyland of your own minds, the same nirvana state where borrowing money to finance tax cuts for the rich stimulates the economy AND shrinks the deficit.

So yes, GOP = Conservative. Not some wishful thinking definition of conservatism, but the one dedicated to 1) Upper income tax cuts paid for by borrowing money, 2) Govt telling you what to do in the bedroom according to fundamentalist Christian doctrine that less than 1% of the population actually follows including its advocates, and 3) Unneccesary, poorly planned but supremely expensive military conflicts of an open ended nature in an attempt to resurrect the black and white world that existed during the Cold War.

Want proof: The top two GOP contenders this year have supported 1) The Ryan Plan which will maintain a deficit but reduce top level tax rates, 2) The Blunt Amendment, which would allow your employer to sign off on how they think you're using birth control before they decide to cover it, and 3) An unlimited engagement both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So I ask, where are all these "traditional conservatives" because I don't see them influencing too much GOP policy lately...
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I was playing trivia the other night, and found out that the term "liberal" actually started in the 1800's in the UK's government party system. And FWIW I actually got the answer right. In any case, I wonder if "conservatives" are going after liberals because they want to return to the old ways and attack anything British?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            Amusing to see righties try to define "conservatism" as something other than what's been practiced out of the Republican party over the last 15 years....

So I ask, where are all these "traditional conservatives" because I don't see them influencing too much GOP policy lately...
                            That is exactly what conservatives themselves are saying! Interesting that you make the same point that conservatives do, that the GOP does NOT represent conservatives.

I also suggest that the Democrats no longer represent liberals either. The Democrats today seem primarily to represent trial attorneys, accounting firms, subsidized "green" energy companies, and public-sector unions.

Party affiliation on both sides is nearing record lows. Each party has its own core of special-interests and seems primarily to be concerned with obtaining office and maintaining itself in office. There seems to be little purpose to either party beyond winning the next election.
                            Last edited by FreshFish; 03-22-2012, 08:38 AM.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

There seems to be little purpose to either party beyond winning the next election.
                              that's what it boils down to. screw em.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

There seems to be little purpose to either party beyond winning the next election.
                                True. Although I wonder whether it's ever been any different. A "political party" is simply a machine for winning elections. There are people within the party with a vision, but a party is just a tool.

If anything I think parties have actually become more "sincere," and that's a bad thing. There used to be all sorts of factions under the umbrella of a party -- so much so that there was overlap between parties (and the ability to compromise). So now we have a GOP that would rather blow up the airplane than see it deviate 1 degree from their preferred flight plan.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X