Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Sorry but yet again, data does not support your conclusion. The definition is as follows...Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.
    Different definitions lead to different results. Your definition does not appear to be supported by history; even totalitarian governments have limits to their authority because totalitarian regimes are tossed from power from time to time.

Again, I suggested at the outset that we need a different term. Why would you ignore that suggestion?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Different definitions lead to different results. Your definition does not appear to be supported by history; even totalitarian governments have limits to their authority because totalitarian regimes are tossed from power from time to time.

Again, I suggested at the outset that we need a different term. Why would you ignore that suggestion?
      Frankly I didn't ignore that suggestion...I threw out a concept of Rule by Law. Not perfect, but faar better than a totalitarianism concept that has never been close to anything witnessed in the US. While the term has been demonized, societal protection at least explains what's going on.

Again your positioning assumes that spectrum is good on one side and bad on the other. Like anything else, it is a mixed scale...with most of what is currently in place a huge benefit for today's complex society.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Are you dim? Whether or not the regime has unlimited power doesn't change that they view themselves with having it. We don't need a different term we need you to understand basic definitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
          Are you dim? Whether or not the regime has unlimited power doesn't change that they view themselves with having it. We don't need a different term we need you to understand basic definitions.
          Don't hold your breath.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

*****http://conservativedailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Koran-burn-5901.jpg******
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And the derp just keeps on coming.

Comment

It may be hyperbole, but I still laughed.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  It may be hyperbole, but I still laughed.
                  It's not an exaggeration, it's a misrepresentation, by the same people who would have been freaking out over JFK being catholic because then he takes orders from the pope. Can't win on economic issues so shift the braying to social ones and get the ignorant masses to think Obama is going to take away their occasional sunday trip to one of the many fine tax free churches lining the streets of America. Poor xtians, so persecuted.

Comment

Sorry but yet again, data does not support your conclusion. The definition is as follows...Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.

All of the governmental examples do not dictate what businesses produce or what people do with their lives. The government simply has a set of laws by how to behave as companies and people conduct themselves. This is simply the rule of law. Secondly, none of the examples your advancing here really deal that much with US individuals in terms of restricting how we behave...but rather rules for corporate behavior. Frankly looking at that list the outcomes of which are extremely favorable to society, and if these don't actually enhance individual freedoms they certainly have a huge plus to your and my quality of life.

So both the word is incorrect but also the general concept is off base. And because your concept is so far off base, most are not willing to enterain any really value you're bringing to the table.

So when an agent of "the government" tells an elementary school child the perfectly appropriate lunch her mother made for her is insufficiently nutritious, and she must eat an alternative lunch, as provided by "the government," this is an example of "the government" NOT dictating "what people do with their lives?" Got it.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                      It's not an exaggeration, it's a misrepresentation, by the same people who would have been freaking out over JFK being catholic because then he takes orders from the pope. Can't win on economic issues so shift the braying to social ones and get the ignorant masses to think Obama is going to take away their occasional sunday trip to one of the many fine tax free churches lining the streets of America. Poor xtians, so persecuted.
                      That's not the issue. It is whether the state can require a religious institution to do something they find morally abhorrent. Lest you think it is just a Catholic issue, I'm reading that many Protestant colleges are contemplating dropping their student health plans because of the diktat.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        That's not the issue. It is whether the state can require a religious institution to do something they find morally abhorrent.
                        Why the f not? The state requires me to do things I find morally abhorrent.
                        "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          That's not the issue. It is whether the state can require a religious institution to do something they find morally abhorrent. Lest you think it is just a Catholic issue, I'm reading that many Protestant colleges are contemplating dropping their student health plans because of the diktat.
                          Did I narrow it down to just catholics?

Actual religious institutions were already exempt from the mandate. Colleges/hospitals/other federally funded type deals are the ones who had to comply with federal law like every other non-religious version of those institutions. It's a case of them wanting to have their cake and eat it to.

But let's have more panels like this discuss women's health. Seeing as there are no qualified women to be brought into the talks.
                          *****http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BmhqV3S7s7U/Tz-sdyi3x6I/AAAAAAAABaY/91d9k078fSs/s400/sean-hannity-birth-control.jpg******

Or how about the house oversight committee and their experts on all things vagina related.
                          http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012...om-testifying/
                          *****http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Google-ChromeScreenSnapz387.png******

Oh wait, I forgot, it's about religion not the women.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            So when an agent of "the government" tells an elementary school child the perfectly appropriate lunch her mother made for her is insufficiently nutritious, and she must eat an alternative lunch, as provided by "the government," this is an example of "the government" NOT dictating "what people do with their lives?" Got it.
                            No system is perfect. But even in your handpicked case, kids getting a balanced meal every once in a while is not necessarily a bad thing. In the alternative case, only twinkees, donuts, candy bars and pop would be for sale as that's all kids would eat.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

This is a simple one to solve. Lets have Republicans set up ballot initiatives in all 50 states making contraceptives illegal and banning health coverage from covering birth control. That way the voter can decide! Democracy in action. In fact so as not to waste money on a special election this vote can coincide with the Presidential election. So tell me righties (Old Pio, joecct, etc) what do you think of this plan?
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

No system is perfect. But even in your handpicked case, kids getting a balanced meal every once in a while is not necessarily a bad thing. In the alternative case, only twinkees, donuts, candy bars and pop would be for sale as that's all kids would eat.
                                Typical ******* arrogance. A balanced meal "every once in a while?" Only "twinkies, donuts, candy bars and pop would be for sale?" Where? In the cafeteria? That's utterly crazy. Charles Manson is innocent until proven guilty. But not moms packing lunches for kids. A study published within the last few weeks discovered that the rates of obesity at schools which sell only rutabegas and beet juice in their vending machines, and those that don't were essentially the same. Conclusion? The kids are buying what they want off campus. Perhaps we could expand the legions of government know it alls to include stores close to campuses.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X