Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by duper View Post
    I must have missed the claim. Stupid Alaska.
    I believe the literal statement was "We are the ones we've been waiting for." Strikes me as a bit over the line. Possibly Palinmania drowned everything else out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eljJA7mUuk
    Last edited by Old Pio; 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Re: Obama XXIII: The Muslin Anti-Christ Wages War on the forces of Christianity!

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
      I'm guessing you brought or will be bringing a box of tissues and some hand lotion to the theater.
      I'll also be borrowing Pee Wee Herman's rain coat, which he borrowed from you in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        I'll also be borrowing Pee Wee Herman's rain coat, which he borrowed from you in the first place.
        Link because I'd rather not get roported!!!11

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
          Link because I'd rather not get roported!!!11
          Funny and classy.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 02-26-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            I believe the literal statement was "We are the ones we've been waiting for." Strikes me as a bit over the line. Possibly Palinmania drowned everything else out.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eljJA7mUuk
            I read the speech. I frankly didn't see anything in it that seemed out of ordinary during a political campaign. I could see how it could be seen as egotistical (especially if you only see a few seconds of it) but I honestly would not have taken it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
              I read the speech. I frankly didn't see anything in it that seemed out of ordinary during a political campaign. I could see how it could be seen as egotistical (especially if you only see a few seconds of it) but I honestly would not have taken it that way.
              Where is General Wenck? And when is he going to attack?

Comment

"We (notice: not "I") are the ones (notice: plural, not singular) we've been waiting for."

He is saying that for years people have been waiting (and hoping, and working) for someone to come along to make things better. See, in our perspective, fighting two wars and sending millions of jobs to Asia is a pretty crappy thing. You may be fine with it, but we were hoping for something better. He was telling us that we (the collective "WE") were the people who were going to make things better - it wasn't going to happen because someone else did it, it was up to us.

But by all means, go ahead and mangle his words and pretend he referred to himself as "The One" and he's supposed to be some messiah. It just makes you look petty, absurd and monumentally stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  "We (notice: not "I") are the ones (notice: plural, not singular) we've been waiting for."

He is saying that for years people have been waiting (and hoping, and working) for someone to come along to make things better. See, in our perspective, fighting two wars and sending millions of jobs to Asia is a pretty crappy thing. You may be fine with it, but we were hoping for something better. He was telling us that we (the collective "WE") were the people who were going to make things better - it wasn't going to happen because someone else did it, it was up to us.

But by all means, go ahead and mangle his words and pretend he referred to himself as "The One" and he's supposed to be some messiah. It just makes you look petty, absurd and monumentally stupid.
                  Your exegesis clearly explains away his messianic delusions. And what about all of those breathless ecomiums from the MSM? To deny the hagiography is to make YOU look "petty, absurd and monumentally stupid."
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                    I really think the "Social Issues" axis is the dominant one. Both parties are in favor of cutting government spending that doesn't directly benefit them or their constituents.
                    Good call. This has been established many times.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

So there's my suggestion. Ignore the economic lies and vote for the person you agree with more on social policies (and who would be better at nominating the next S.C. Justice, from your perspective).
                      None of the above comes to mind
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        That was my vote in the last election. Although still the best and most appropriate choice, I've gotta come up with something new.
                        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                        Groucho Marx
                        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                        Ron White
                        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                        Milo Bloom

Comment

it sounds like some people are so concerned about connotational aspects of a particular word that they overlook its denotative descriptive value. Fair enough: for purpose of discussion, we need a word that means 'direct goverment control or substantial government oversight.' I've suggested (a) we already have a lot of it, (b) there is a good philosophical justification for it, in many cases, and (c) the democrats in general and Obama in particular are saying flat out that we need more of it.

For example, generally a person can develop and introduce a new product to the marketplace without getting a special permit first. Not so for pharmaceuticals. Before you can introduce a new pharmaceutical to the marketplace, you first must have it approved by the Food and Drug Administration. This fits both the Hobbesian and the Platonic definition I used before: "you need a strong central government to engender trust otherwise distrust would interfere with anything getting done at all" and also "most people are so busy in their daily lives that they don't have the requisite specialized knowledge and expertise to make sound judgments, hence we need a panel of experts."

I had used the word "totalitarian" to describe this situation, and people got their knickers in a twist because of that. However, given the strict denotative value contained in the word, and the commensurate justification for times in which it was appropriate, I used the term to describe
                          > Dept of Agriculture food safety inspections
                          > Food and Drug Administration
                          > Federal Communication Commission
                          > Air Transport Safety Commission
                          > Equal Employment Opportunity Agency
                          > Environmental Protection Agency
                          > OSHA
                          > on and on with more agencies, departments, etc.

Many of these are a result of progressive politics. I said that there has been a strong totalitarian strain behind the progressive movement, and all of this data supports that conclusion, except for the connotational discomfort associated with that particular word. Okay, find another word that means governmental control instead, and plug that in. Even the idea of national parks -- removing land from ownership by any individual to centralize it in the hands of the government -- may or may not fit this concept. To deny that the FDA is a "totalitarian" agency given how I defined that word is just silly. Of course it is.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, if we limit ourselves to the actual words in the Act itself, is very much a "totalitarian" (okay, strike that word and insert your preferred replacement) document: it specifies deductibles and levels of coinsurance, it even specifies loss ratios! (hence the 831 waivers granted so far). It requires that every individual purchase a product from a private manufacturer or be fined.

You may think these are all good things, I'm not disputing one way or the other if these are "good" or "bad." However if you try to deny these are "totalitarian" (oops, sorry, strike that word and insert your preferred replacement), I have to wonder why you want to deny reality so badly!
                          Last edited by FreshFish; 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            *****http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000602943/polls_157234_none_of_the_above_0431_393772_answer_ 103_xlarge.gif******
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              I had used the word "totalitarian" to describe this situation, and people got their knickers in a twist because of that. However, given the strict denotative value contained in the word, and the commensurate justification for times in which it was appropriate, I used the term to describe
                              > Dept of Agriculture food safety inspections
                              > Food and Drug Administration
                              > Federal Communication Commission
                              > Air Transport Safety Commission
                              > Equal Employment Opportunity Agency
                              > Environmental Protection Agency
                              > OSHA
                              > on and on with more agencies, departments, etc.

Many of these are a result of progressive politics. I said that there has been a strong totalitarian strain behind the progressive movement, and all of this data supports that conclusion, except for the connotational discomfort associated with that particular word.
                              Sorry but yet again, data does not support your conclusion. The definition is as follows...Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.

All of the governmental examples do not dictate what businesses produce or what people do with their lives. The government simply has a set of laws by how to behave as companies and people conduct themselves. This is simply the rule of law. Secondly, none of the examples your advancing here really deal that much with US individuals in terms of restricting how we behave...but rather rules for corporate behavior. Frankly looking at that list the outcomes of which are extremely favorable to society, and if these don't actually enhance individual freedoms they certainly have a huge plus to your and my quality of life.

So both the word is incorrect but also the general concept is off base. And because your concept is so far off base, most are not willing to enterain any really value you're bringing to the table.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

All that statement meant was "if you want to see change, get off your tookus and be that change." Every president in my memory has said that. It's Bush Senior's call to be "a thousand points of light." When Obama said it the dittoheads were told to go nuts, so they did.

The one rhetorical thing Obama does use that annoys me is using "I" when talking about his administration, e.g., "When I got here 3 years ago..." Reagan and Clinton used "We" and it just makes the message better. Now, no president in history has been humble, but we like to think of our presidents as Cincinnatus, being pulled by the call of their country to serve against their will. It's BS, but it's healthy BS.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X