This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Lets hope lowell plays good today and tomorrow to get that sweep of UVM.

Comment

Chaz has an interesting article in today's Sun with former UML goalie coach Ed Walsh about the current goaltending crisis going on in hockey.

http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_19884718

Comment

I can't believe how different this feeling is from 12 months ago...
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          I can't believe how different this feeling is from 12 months ago...
          Tell me about it, who would have thought the Merrimack Valley would be such the hotbed for Hockey East

Patman, have a Dominion Millienium Ale for me. Not an ale to chug.
          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

As great as this year has been; there has been one worrisome trend that sticks out in my mind: Dropping easily winnable games/playing down to the competition (5-0 loss to UNH, 2-1 loss to UConn, and 3-2 OT loss to UVM stick out -- moreover, there have been several others that the 'Hawks have won but tried to lose (e.g. second UConn game)).

At any rate, this is a good weekend to reverse that trend. Granted, few teams play a great game every time out there, but if we want home ice we must win the games we are expected to win.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
              Patman, have a Dominion Millienium Ale for me. Not an ale to chug.
              We'll see if they have that... I've had a few dominion beers (bottle)... they're ok but I haven't had the millienium ale... just looked it up... 11.2%... yikes!
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

By the way. Josh Holmstrom won the moves of the week contest. Congrats Josh!

Comment

Woo? Need some excitement

----

les, I hope you slapped your kid after that.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Wasn't the prettiest of games, especially during the first 30 minutes of the contest. However, they were able to overcome a desperate Vermont squad in the second half of the game and come away with a key win and two big points to tie them with Maine for third place. The killing of Wilson's penalty in the second for me was the turning point of the game. The GW goal by Wetmore was a thing of beauty that finally showed that Lowell was the better hockey club. Wilson's insurance marker in the third was pretty nice too and they really clamped down on UVM holding them to four shots in the final frame.

To me, it appears that the River Hawks were tentative or unsure of playing a physical game. Vermont was hitting anyone and anything on the ice. Their pedals were to the floor with stick-checking and pushing the puck to the net, especially early in the first two periods. Things finally started to turn around when Holmstrom finally clocked a Vermont player at center ice. The River Hawks were the aggressors in the back half of the second and third and it did turn the tide. Really not much else to talk about, only two PP for each team for the entire game but the 6x4 kill by the River Hawks at the end of the game was a yeoman's effort. Never have seen a Zamboni fail and a glass smashing in the same game.

Second place for grabs and the national cameras for tomorrow night; only 3724 tonight, like to see at least 1250, maybe 1500 more tomorrow evening in the barn.
                    Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-03-2012, 10:13 PM.
                    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

There's still a couple of games left tonight, but this is a beautiful sight:

Men’s Division I PairWise Rankings
                      Rank Team PWR W-L-T Win % Win % Rank RPI RPI Rank vs. TUC TUC %
                      1t Boston University 29 16-8-1 .6600 5t .5646 1 10-6-1 .6176
                      1t Massachusetts-Lowell 29 17-7-0 .7083 2 .5605* 2 9-3-0 .7500
                      1t Minnesota-Duluth 29 17-5-4 .7308 1 .5602* 3 8-4-2 .6429

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...#ixzz1lNsn6njA
                      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                        There's still a couple of games left tonight, but this is a beautiful sight:

Men’s Division I PairWise Rankings
                        Rank Team PWR W-L-T Win % Win % Rank RPI RPI Rank vs. TUC TUC %
                        1t Boston University 29 16-8-1 .6600 5t .5646 1 10-6-1 .6176
                        1t Massachusetts-Lowell 29 17-7-0 .7083 2 .5605* 2 9-3-0 .7500
                        1t Minnesota-Duluth 29 17-5-4 .7308 1 .5602* 3 8-4-2 .6429

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...#ixzz1lNsn6njA
                        I'll be the killjoy... Daloot is up 2-0... Am I the only one who thinks "two more games with BU, I can't wait to put them away"? Heh.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          I'll be the killjoy... Daloot is up 2-0...
                          Make that 3-0. J.T. Brown has a 1st period hat trick.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                            Wasn't the prettiest of games, especially during the first 30 minutes of the contest. However, they were able to overcome a desperate Vermont squad in the second half of the game and come away with a key win and two big points to tie them with Maine for third place. The killing of Wilson's penalty in the second for me was the turning point of the game. The GW goal by Wetmore was a thing of beauty that finally showed that Lowell was the better hockey club. Wilson's insurance marker in the third was pretty nice too and they really clamped down on UVM holding them to four shots in the final frame.

To me, it appears that the River Hawks were tentative or unsure of playing a physical game. Vermont was hitting anyone and anything on the ice. Their pedals were to the floor with stick-checking and pushing the puck to the net, especially early in the first two periods. Things finally started to turn around when Holmstrom finally clocked a Vermont player at center ice. The River Hawks were the aggressors in the back half of the second and third and it did turn the tide. Really not much else to talk about, only two PP for each team for the entire game but the 6x4 kill by the River Hawks at the end of the game was a yeoman's effort. Never have seen a Zamboni fail and a glass smashing in the same game.

Second place for grabs and the national cameras for tomorrow night; only 3724 tonight, like to see at least 1250, maybe 1500 more tomorrow evening in the barn.
                            I think Lowell was sloppy and slow for 10 minutes. Had the slighty better run of play for the next 20, then simply out willed Vermont for the last thirty.

The passing on Wilson's goal was beautiful.
                            Lowell Forever
                            Forever Lowell

Comment

Really not much else to talk about, only two PP for each team for the entire game but the 6x4 kill by the River Hawks at the end of the game was a yeoman's effort.
                              Boy those guys killing that 6x4 were out there for a long time, great job. It also didn't hurt to have Stalberg in box serving a misconduct. I'm not sure what set him off.

How about the move Vallorani put on the UVM defenseman early in the third? That would have been a highlight reel goal; Vazzano just got the blocker on it.

A pretty disappointing crowd considering how well the Hawks have been drawing. At least the students had a good turnout. Hopefully they get at least 5k tomorrow night.

Comment

The move by Val was a clinic on how to handle the puck. If that had gone in it would have been the highlight of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X