X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Just disappointing last night. Could see it from the start. And I think that's the first time I've seen a two-man advantage that quickly into the game...

Better come out on fire tonight, or this will be a disappointing end to a wonderful season.
    All's not lost yet, you'll still have a NCAA tourney game after if that is the case. :-)

BU Alum '07

Comment

Yikes that was ugly. Coaching, playing and reffing were all pretty terrible last night. We weathered the storm in the first period and came out with a lead which I thought was going to be enough to get them going in the 2nd, but it just never happened. Things really only got worse and they never seemed to control the play except for a random shift here and there. They just seemed very jumpy and it reminded me of the Merrimack game. Choppy play and just overall no flow to the game.

Reffing did not help either, but you can't blame the result on that. Both teams had 5 powerplays and Lowell didn't deserve to win in general. I really can't stand the embellishment call and think it creates such a slippery slope for the referee.

Overall it was not a good 60 minutes and all aspects of the game need to be better. The one bright spot is that they did not play a good hockey game and still had a chance with less than 5 minutes to go. Here's to hoping for a much better effort and result tonight.

Comment

Chock it up to whatever you want, Lowell didn't play well enough to win last night.

It troubles me that Bazin talked about how strong the PC forecheck is, and then when the puck drops it's like they never addressed it in practice. Lowell was slow and sloppy coming out of there zone. Everyone was static, staring back at the guy with the puck; no one was moving or cutting across the ice so they never enter the zone with any speed.

Not really fair to single out any one person because everyone made mistakes last night, but good lord Dan Furlong would probably like to forget last night ever happened.

In the post game last night you could tell Bazin didn't want to address the officiating, but he couldn't help himself. Basically he felt like the game was called contrary to the way it had been all season and that he had a lot of tape to watch before tonight's game to figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening tonight. There's always going to be a bunch of ticky-tack crap that isn't called and that's fine. In no way, shape or form was officiaiting the reason Lowell lost last night - the only call I'd like an explanation on is the non-call on the trip with around 2 minutes left in the game. Did anyone else get a better view of that and maybe I'm just way off base? Lowell had been called for a trip just as blatant (in my eyes) earlier in the game.

The silver lining is that Lowell was still in this game despite turning in a top 3 worst performance of the season. The 'Hawks seem to get their legs late, and tonight is a new game. Tonight's game is going to tell me a lot about Lowell and their post season chances: if they win tonight I think they take the series on Sunday and I'm going to expect good things the rest of the way out. If they lose tonight and still backdoor into the NCAA's they're going to be done in one.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

I think if you were to distill last nights performance down to three things that ultimately undid the River Hawks your list might look similar to the following..

1. Getting beat to loose pucks and not winning puck battles all night long. Countless times there would be a scrum with three and one time even four Lowell players going against 2 Providence players and Providence would come away with the puck.

2. Bad passing and ineffective skating across the red line. The Providence forecheck and neutral zone clogging messed up the Hawks breakout last night. Close support and good skating/passing lanes through the neutral zone were almost non-existent last night.

3. Lack of focus and killer instinct. Up one goal early the Hawks needed to salt this game away. Instead they took a lazy too much man penalty and let Providence tie it up.

I'm not going to blame the officiating for the loss. As others have said, the team that won played better last night... So I'll just leave this here.

*****http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15908483.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
            the only call I'd like an explanation on is the non-call on the trip with around 2 minutes left in the game. Did anyone else get a better view of that and maybe I'm just way off base? Lowell had been called for a trip just as blatant (in my eyes) earlier in the game.
            I'll put it this way ... even some of the people that never really get upset about anything, got up and yelled about that non-call.

I do agree, this wasn't about the refs.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfAramark View Post
              Instead they took a lazy too much man penalty and let Providence tie it up.
              I had to rep you ... just for this. Never saw that before, it's hilarious.
              Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I'll put it this way ... even some of the people that never really get upset about anything, got up and yelled about that non-call.

I do agree, this wasn't about the refs.
                Agree on both points. Horrific non-call but the officiating had nothing to do with why we lost.
                Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

The nerves are now hitting hard...
                  Monty

Comment

The nerves are now hitting hard...
                    It's already been a long day at work.....watching the clock.

Comment

As Al Davis loved to say ... "Just win baby!"
                      Monty

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                        It's already been a long day at work.....watching the clock.
                        I couldn't sleep last night - thats how ******ed i was
                        Man am I nervous about tonights game...
                        "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
                        make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

As Al Davis loved to say ... "Just win baby!"
                          Didn't really work out for him for his last ten years, and now he's dead.

Comment

That was a crazy game to hear on the radio. Great hustle by Pendenza and good for Kamrass on his first college goal.

Need to play much better on Sunday, but at least there will be a game to go to on Sunday. Hopefully will be able to make the trip down.
                            U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                            UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

*huffs repeatedly into paper bag*

Oof
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                *huffs repeatedly into paper bag*

Oof
                                You must spread...

oofdah! is right. Gumby was there again Great atmosphere! The crowd was amazing and the guys were pumped about it. The students were really getting into it. Love all the costumes and they are starting to cheer something more than UML and lets go Lowell. The band was absolutely incredible and the guys and gals on the camera crew did an amazing job. Having them roam around makes a huge difference.

Kudos to the culture they are creating around going to a game. It is way cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X