X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    I don't think they are coasting. Merrimack is a horrible rink for a team that relies on speed and getting going. Like bees in a small bottle. So small by the time they get going they hit the end wall. Carr sounding human tonight.
    I've said it before and will continue to say it. The ice at Lawler is NHL size, 200x85. Sure it seems cramped because of the low ceiling and stands right on top of the ice, but it's merely perception. That mental perception can certainly contribute to play on the ice...but physically it's no different than the sheet at the Garden or Tsongas.
    Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
      Ugh...what horrible luck on that bounce of the boards....sure look like he played it correctly to be in the corner behind him but came straight back, instead of on the opposite angle.
      I thought it hit the Merrimack players skate.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
        I thought it hit the Merrimack players skate.
        Me too.
        Didn't look like any of the other goals were soft. The 2nd was a blast and the others he made the initial save with no D to clear the rebound. Looks to me like you guys gotta tighten up the D from what I see of those replays.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Lowell played like crap last night. As others have stated they couldn't make a pass, create any space, and iced the puck way too many times. Lowell didn't lose that game as Merrimack won it easily.

Hoping for the opposite to happen tonight.
          Let's go Lowell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
            I've said it before and will continue to say it. The ice at Lawler is NHL size, 200x85. Sure it seems cramped because of the low ceiling and stands right on top of the ice, but it's merely perception. That mental perception can certainly contribute to play on the ice...but physically it's no different than the sheet at the Garden or Tsongas.
            Hence why all this is idiotic.

The building is claustrophobic... But beyond that and the puck off the ceiling whistles it's a normal rink.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Gumby is here. I feel a bit better.

Comment

So because Lowell tied tonight, and prevented MC from getting another conference win, Lowell wins the tb against Merrimack. H2H is even, but Lowell has more conference wins (Lowell has 15, MC has 12) and Lowell would also win the tb if it went to record against 1st place team (Lowell 1-2 vs BC, MC is 0-2-1, Lowell 2-1 vs BU, MC is 1-2). So the only way Lowell does not get home ice is if the following happens next weekend:

PC sweeps Lowell AND
                Maine beats UNH AND
                MC takes at least 3 from UMass.

Doesn't matter though. This team is not playing well. If Suter is out for an extended period of time, the defense will be shot. Lyles. Corcoran, and Eiserman are all revolving doors. Hopefully they can shake the problems they have at Schneider on Friday. If they win, and BU wins, Lowell is locked in 3rd. If that's the case, Bazin has to give Carr the night off on Saturday. He looks tired and is letting in a lot of soft goals.

Comment

So because Lowell tied tonight, and prevented MC from getting another conference win, Lowell wins the tb against Merrimack. H2H is even, but Lowell has more conference wins (Lowell has 15, MC has 12) and Lowell would also win the tb if it went to record against 1st place team (Lowell 1-2 vs BC, MC is 0-2-1, Lowell 2-1 vs BU, MC is 1-2). So the only way Lowell does not get home ice is if the following happens next weekend:

PC sweeps Lowell AND
                  Maine beats UNH AND
                  MC takes at least 3 from UMass.

Doesn't matter though. This team is not playing well. If Suter is out for an extended period of time, the defense will be shot. Lyles. Corcoran, and Eiserman are all revolving doors. Hopefully they can shake the problems they have at Schneider on Friday. If they win, and BU wins, Lowell is locked in 3rd. If that's the case, Bazin has to give Carr the night off on Saturday. He looks tired and is letting in a lot of soft goals.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                    If they win, and BU wins, Lowell is locked in 3rd. If that's the case, Bazin has to give Carr the night off on Saturday. He looks tired and is letting in a lot of soft goals.
                    If 'they' means Lowell, this is not true. If BU and Lowell win on Friday, they would still be two points apart with one to play. Certainly, Lowell would clinch the #3 seed on that regard because of the tiebreaker with Merrimack (more conf. wins) and Maine can only get to 32. However, they are not locked into #3 seed as they could still get the #2 seed with a BU loss and a Lowell win on Saturday. Both teams would be tied at 35 points, Lowell gets #2 seed based on H2H tiebreaker.

If 'they' means Providence and BU wins on Friday that means that Lowell could not finish higher than the #3 seed. However, Lowell also could drop to #4 or #5 depending on the results of Saturday.

Yes, I will agree that Carr needs rest. However, I don't see how you can afford to give him that rest given what is on the line. Who would you want to play right now, Merrimack/Maine, possibly at Lawler or gulp (Alfond) or PC/UNH at Tsongas. That's a no-brainer in my mind.
                    Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-25-2012, 11:38 PM.
                    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                      This team is not playing well. If Suter is out for an extended period of time, the defense will be shot. Lyles. Corcoran, and Eiserman are all revolving doors.
                      Play-the-Russian

Clap-clap Clap-clap-clap
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                        Play-the-Russian

Clap-clap Clap-clap-clap
                        In fairness, I did not think that Lyles had a bad night, in some ways, I thought it was one of his better performances of the season.
                        - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Lyles played pretty good tonight and Eiserman just wasn't very effective tonight. They have nothing to lose by playing the russian.

Comment

He is really just so scary to watch though. He jumps up into the play way too much and loves playing with one hand on his stick. He has talent and can really skate, but he just doesn't seem to have the hockey sense of a defenseman.

I really don't want to match up with Merrimack again. It is like watching the mid 90's Devils. They are so incredibly boring to watch and really just suffocate teams defensively. Lowell didn't play well this weekend, but those were the two most worst overall games I have seen all season all around just from a hockey fan perspective. Not to mention my first Lawler experience, wow...

Overall, you can't spot teams like that an early lead and Lowell did it twice this weekend. Merrimack plays too conservative and has too good of defenseman to play catch up with. Also the Riverhawks really need to clean up the PK or start staying out of the box, giving up 7 PP goals in the last 4 games is an ugly stat. Hopefully they can get a sweep next weekend and head into the playoffs with some momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by bigeasy29 View Post
                              Lyles played pretty good tonight and Eiserman just wasn't very effective tonight. They have nothing to lose by playing the russian.
                              I think it was a tough weekend all a round for most of the Hawks. They didn't win too many battles and Merrimack's size, strength and forecheck really caused problems. It was a struggle all weekend long, thankfully they were able to come back and get a point tonight. Time to re-group and get ready for PC.

Like everyone else I'm waiting to see what Sinitsyn can do, but I'm not sure it would be fair to throw a 17 year into the fire. Even if the skill level is there is he physically ready to go up against big physical teams like Merrimack and PC?

Comment

Agree that they are boring to watch and chippy. By the end of the game all I wanted was for someone (preferably Lyles) to check Todd into oblivion. He has to be the most irritating player to watch- stabbing, hooking, cheap stuff with lots of extracurricular activities after the whistle. The kid has skill. It is irritating as hell to watch someone with skill be cheap on general principle- I don't care who he plays for. I missed what bent him over but I was not a good Christian because I thought- finally!

You could see that Lyles was making an effort to do the right thing. I thought he was much better. I would feel worse about the one hand on the stick but having seen his upper body I think he sould control a 2X4 with one hand no problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X