X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    So I know according to UMass fans, you can't EVER win a game where you get killed on power play numbers because you have to defend too much and ...

Ahh screw it. A good team deals with it, and while I didn't agree with many of the calls tonight, this team just dealt with the calls and instead of complaining and *****ing (hint hint) ... walked away with yet another win.

18-7. Second place in Hockey East. This doesn't suck.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to UMLFan again.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I stayed home due to illness tonight so I watched the game on TV. I didn't have any problems with the officiating tonight; most of Lowell's penalties were legit (the only one I questioned was Reynolds flopping down, but that's it). Holmstrom was clearly in the crease for a second and half before the puck arrived. Granted, the play should have been whistled dead before going to instant replay. You give any team that many power play chances and it's going to bite you. Just a very undisciplined game by the River Hawks; they have a week's time to clean that up going into games with Merrimack, Maine and BU over the next six games. They did chase Vazzano out of the game early with two Mike Lange highlight-reel goals (Ruhwedel - beat him like a rented mule, Wallin -- smoked him like a bad cigar), took advantage of a key power plays, and held Vermont in-check for most of the game until the end. The ending was directly attributed to those power plays and they gave Vermont a chance to get back into the game.

I believe they mentioned this is the biggest yearly turnaround in school history and the longest winning streak in Tsongas Arena history.

Second place on February 4th....WOW
      Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-04-2012, 10:20 PM.
      - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

My only complaint with the blow down is that it doesn't seem to me they call it unless it matters. If they want to call his proximity to play as that, fine. But in that case I'm not sure why that review went so long.

(yes, I know this post isn't clear.)
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          My only complaint with the blow down is that it doesn't seem to me they call it unless it matters. If they want to call his proximity to play as that, fine. But in that case I'm not sure why that review went so long.

(yes, I know this post isn't clear.)
          The review took a long time because they wanted to make sure that deliberate contact was not made by the Vermont defender to push Holmstrom into the crease. I saw a lot of incidental contact on the play and thought Holmstrom did freely skate into the crease. Also, I felt that Holmstrom did screen the goalie's ability to make the save while in the crease and by rule, that's no goal. Personally, the NHL/NCAA rule is written poorly and it should go back to the IIHF, if you are in the blue paint, it's blown dead; otherwise, get rid of the crease. It's Rule 6-29-c if you're that interested and it's a judgement call by the referee. I also had thought that in the NCAA, if you are on the attacking power play team, any crease violation is automatically blown dead. However, I can't find this rule in the book.
          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

I thought it looked like Holmstrom was in the crease, but had no way to get himself out because he was pushed towards the net and over to Madore. only sucks because it took a goal away from the soon to be ROTY, but Lowell still came through with a PP goal.

Comment

Watch out UML fans. Steve Capraro is now a linesman for Hockey East. He worked both games in Maine this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by pressbox View Post
                Watch out UML fans. Steve Capraro is now a linesman for Hockey East. He worked both games in Maine this weekend.
                Old news, iirc, bob ellis talked to him earlier this season.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Unhappy with NESN (Tom Caron) who commented that 'UML considered dropping hockey 7-8 years ago but decided to keep it'. Ummm, yeah. Not quite the way it went down...
                  Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                  Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                  "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                  KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

• Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                    Unhappy with NESN (Tom Caron) who commented that 'UML considered dropping hockey 7-8 years ago but decided to keep it'. Ummm, yeah. Not quite the way it went down...
                    Good thing I didn't have audio last night

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Scott Wilson's weekend has now put him in the lead in rookie scoring in Hockey East, and he's #9 overall in the league in points with 19 (in 18 games).

After this weekend, Lowell has already scored more goals than they did all of last year.
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Anyone else see before the game NESN had David Vallorani as David Valloranti?

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                          Anyone else see before the game NESN had David Vallorani as David Valloranti?
                          It was just total disrespect by NESN. The description of the game was Lowell @ UVM from the Gutt as well. Caron doesn't know how to pronounce Ruhwedel's name.

Comment

He'll get to know the name better as NESN covers more Lowell games the next couple of years!
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                              It was just total disrespect by NESN. The description of the game was Lowell @ UVM from the Gutt as well. Caron doesn't know how to pronounce Ruhwedel's name.
                              More disrespect in the pregame show:

1. Graphic showing Carr as the starting goalie for Vermont.
                              2. Jamison Coyle referring to the team as the "River Hacks"
                              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                Old news, iirc, bob ellis talked to him earlier this season.
                                I've known it for some time as well. Just never seen anyone mention it.

Comment

Working...
                                X