X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    We used the rankings from about 8 or 9pm Eastern, so they must have been changed since then. I posted a quick update, so here is the link to the most up to date version...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/C..._Pairwise.html
    I'm a little confused by the explanation of Michigan and NMU in the Bracketology link. I think they got switched by accident.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      I'm a little confused by the explanation of Michigan and NMU in the Bracketology link. I think they got switched by accident.
      First, there was an pairwise update after the bracketology was released, so the site needed to make that change (explained in the Update portion).

Second, the explanation section was from the original release of the bracketology. Because nearly everything stayed the same, CHW did not revamp the explanation section. In the original, Northern was placed in the Green Bay Regional for a few reasons. The first being attendance. While the other being distance (and the two are naturally related). Northern is only 180ish miles from Green Bay, while Western is 350ish miles. It is likely that Northern would bring a bigger fanbase than Western. Ultimately, when the pairwise was updated and Western dropped to a 3 and Michigan rose to a 2, it was an easy switch to basically swap Western and Michigan. As a result, when reading through the explanation, it is probably easiest to think of Western and Michigan and vice-verse. Also, think of Denver as Michigan State, as the Spartans rose to a #4 and Denver dropped out after the update.

Hopefully that explains it a tad better, but if not, just let me know.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Got it....thanks!
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Futile argument but...

Sticking to bracket integrity first, geographics/travel second, attendance third:

NE (Worchester) 1. BU 2. Notre Dame 3. U-Mass Lowell 4. MSU
          East (Bridgeport) 1. BC 2. Mich 3. Cornell 4. Ferris
          Midwest (Green Bay) 1. OSU 2.Merrimack 3. WMU 4. CC
          West (Minneapolis) 1. UMD 2. NMU 3. Minn 4. AHA

Bracket integrity is okay 1st and second seeds & host getting priority. 3rd & 4th seeds switched to prevent first round intraconference games.
          1-8-9-16
          2-7-10-14
          3-6-11-15
          4-5-12-13

Criteria

All first seeds placed in their closest regions. Michigan and Cornell could move to Midwest and flipflop with Merrimack/WMU, but I chose to keep them due to bracket integrity. UM-Lowell, Cornell and WMU are better geographically anyway as third seeds. Minnesota is a host as a third seed and really scrambled the third seeds. Michigan is the highest 2nd seed and shouldn't be moved into the same bracket as the highest #1 seed or play vs. the host school in exchange for a matchup with the highest 3rd seed out East. Lowest 2nd seed NMU is also geographically acceptable to Minneapolis. Fourth seeds are flipped to prevent first round conference match-ups, integrity and travel geography.

Attendance:

NE and East have both #1 seeds close to fanbases, especially BU. UML and Cornell are also nearest their fanbases as 3rd seeds.
          Midwest has three western teams, but attendance could lag with WMU closest school to Green Bay.
          West has two Minnesota schools, including host and will be best attended regional.

Comment

Streaker your Midwest region is too weak attendance wise. None of these teams have a name big enough that will draw hockey fans. It is too tough to fill a place if 3/4 of the teams involved have flights or 10+ hour drives.
            Rinks Visited
            DCU Center
            Tulley Forum
            TD Garden
            Tsongas Arena
            J. Thom Lawler Arena
            Conte Forum
            Whittemore Center
            Agganis Arena
            Verizon Center
            Gutterson Fieldhouse
            Matthews Arena
            Thompson Arena
            Mullins Center
            Alfond Arena
            Schneider Arena
            Magness Arena
            Ingallas Arena
            Hart Center
            Prudential Center
            TD Bank Sports Center
            John A Ryan
            Lynah Rink
            Appleton Arena
            Cheel Arena
            Germain Arena
            XL Center
            Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
              Streaker your Midwest region is too weak attendance wise. None of these teams have a name big enough that will draw hockey fans. It is too tough to fill a place if 3/4 of the teams involved have flights or 10+ hour drives.
              They have said in the past they will not move teams around to make attendance better and right now the midwest would look like that unless they go against there word.

Comment

Based upon its potentially superior recruiting class next fall I think BU should be rated no lower than third in 2013 bracketology. It's never too soon to predict the future, as this thread so clearly illustrates.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                  Based upon its potentially superior recruiting class next fall I think BU should be rated no lower than third in 2013 bracketology. It's never too soon to predict the future, as this thread so clearly illustrates.
                  *****http://www.trollkingdom.net/forum/images/smilies/animated_smilies/fish2.gif******

Comment

Wait for UNO to sweep in and blow your minds!

And by blow your minds I mean make it into the tourny

Comment

Originally posted by Pants View Post
                      Wait for UNO to sweep in and blow your minds!

And by blow your minds I mean make it into the tourny
                      UNO is currently in 21st position in the Pairwise. Making the tournament would be impressive, but hardly shocking. Just last year CC was #21 at this point and made the field. In 2010, Alaska was #21 and Northern Michigan was #24. Other late bloomers: St Cloud (#22) in 2008, St. Lawrence (#21) in 2007 and Maine (#24) in 2006.

Comment

UNO has good chances to get to 16 if they can pick up points in their remaining games. Especially against CC, Minnesota, and Denver. You have a major shot to shoot up in the PW right there.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          They have said in the past they will not move teams around to make attendance better and right now the midwest would look like that unless they go against there word.
                          Remember I opened up by saying that it was a futile argument....but yes.. you followed my logic. Bracket integrity, travel, attendance in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            UNO is currently in 21st position in the Pairwise. Making the tournament would be impressive, but hardly shocking. Just last year CC was #21 at this point and made the field. In 2010, Alaska was #21 and Northern Michigan was #24. Other late bloomers: St Cloud (#22) in 2008, St. Lawrence (#21) in 2007 and Maine (#24) in 2006.
                            How come you neglected #26 Union?

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                              How come you neglected #26 Union?
                              Through some mathematical fluke, Union was #12 at this point last year

Comment

OK, obviously something is wrong with my script.

Code:

Bridgeport	Worcester	St. Paul	Green Bay
                                Lowell		BU		Minn-Duluth	Ohio State
                                Michigan	Merrimack	Ferris		Notre Dame
                                Cornell		No Mich		Minnesota	BC
                                Miami		AHA Champ	Mich State	Denver
                                Last edited by Priceless; 01-22-2012, 10:20 AM. Reason: Updating w/ correct info

Comment

Working...
                                X