Illinois to D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
    Will there be subs delivered freaskishly fast to my seat?
    I think it'd be fairly easy to assume Jimmy John's would be a vendor.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Re: Illinois to D1

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      So did the University of Illinois in Champaign. Not sure about other programs, but the Gophers played them 17 times between 1938-1943.

Not sure why either school dropped their program, but my guess would be $$$.

EDIT: the Gophers played Illinois-Chicago 7 times between 1983-1993.
      I think Illinois at Champaign dropped it because of WW II and didn't pick it up after the war.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good luck.............

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
        Never even heard of Jimmy John's?
        Cousins (started in Milwaukee in the 70's) is my favorite; Jimmy John's a close 2nd. BTW, I know The Chief is gone, but will the Fighting Illini thing will disappear like the Fighting Sioux? It's still there for football.

Relax, just kidding!
        Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-02-2011, 05:17 PM.
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
          Good luck.............

Cousins (started in Milwaukee in the 70's) is my favorite; Jimmy John's a close 2nd. BTW, I know The Chief is gone, but will the Fighting Illini thing will disappear like the Fighting Sioux? It's still there for football.

Relax, just kidding!
          From Wikipedia: The name "Fighting Illini" pre-dates the Chief Illiniwek symbol and was bestowed upon the team in honor of Illinoisans who fought in World War I; the use of the name "Illini" dates to the 19th century. I saw the just kidding, but just wanted to clarify the difference between the two. (Lifelong Illini fan who once lived in Grand Forks)
          2005-6 ECAC E/NESCAC Last Person Standing Champion
          2006-7 SUNYAC PICK 'EM Champion

OSWEGO STATE GREAT LAKERS
          2006-7 DIII NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

www.greenesalehouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            Neither Michigan nor Michigan State have a women's hockey program.
            Tough to do when a school has only a single arena. You'll never see it at Michigan, Red doesn't play well with others and share. lol! Ohio State was able to add a womens team only when the mens team moved into the new arena opening up the small old one for the women to use. It would certainly enhance the sport if Illinois could add both.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Tough to do when a school has only a single arena. You'll never see it at Michigan, Red doesn't play well with others and share. lol! Ohio State was able to add a womens team only when the mens team moved into the new arena opening up the small old one for the women to use. It would certainly enhance the sport if Illinois could add both.
              Last I checked, most schools with women's hockey only have one rink. And, the opening of Value City notwithstanding, women's college hockey (out west anyway) didn't really exist before '98 (only the Gophers amongst WCHA teams had a program before that year), so why would OSU even think of starting a team before Value City opened?
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I know I am beating a dead horse with my fellow OSU fans, but I have always maintained that it would be tough for a coach to win at tOSU even though I believe tOSU to be a sleeping giant in the sport of ice hockey due to the lack of a hockey-only facility at Ohio State. Thankfully, both of our new coaches (Coach Osiecki is actually in his second season with the men, first year for Coach Handrahan with our womens program) have proven me wrong. Good luck to Illinois if they decide to go forward with a varsity mens program. The more, the better for the Big Ten Hockey Conference. I would still like to see Michigan and Michigan State add womens hockey. There are a number schools in college hockey where the men and women share the same arena.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  IMO, 15 million isn't going to get you very much for a Big Ten hockey arena. Just sayin.
                  Around here it doesn't get you any more than a city rec arena.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    Exactly. They will need to build on that figure for sure if they want to build a quality arena. I wonder if that's where Jimmy John's comes into play?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      Crookston (MN) Sports Center (87,000 sq ft and $15 million):

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...allery/id/655/

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice rink for what it is (a community rink with high school and club college - former D-II Minnesota-Crookston), but it's no where near a D-I rink (at least, no where near a B1G/NCHC/WCHA rink. AHA? Sure). I do agree though, that if there already is a plan in place for a $15 mil facility, one could see a big donor just adding to the pot...
                      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                      ECAC:
                      HEA: UMass
                      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        Crookston (MN) Sports Center (87,000 sq ft and $15 million):

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...allery/id/655/

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice rink for what it is (a community rink with high school and club college - former D-II Minnesota-Crookston), but it's no where near a D-I rink (at least, no where near a B1G/NCHC/WCHA rink. AHA? Sure). I do agree though, that if there already is a plan in place for a $15 mil facility, one could see a big donor just adding to the pot...
                        Indeed. If UIUC wanted to get in on the ground floor, they could maybe get away with a Bemidji State/Sanford Center-sized arena: seating 4,373 (though listed elsewhere as 4,700), cost $35 million according to Wikipedia. That said, most of Jimmy's money would go to start-up costs and an endowment for the team, leaving $10 million if that for an arena. Good chunk of seed money, but that's about it.

Too bad the existing UI Ice Arena isn't larger - it's a handsome facility, though it only seats 1,200 and holds 2,000. It's also a wider-than-standard sheet at 115 feet, so perhaps Illinois could squeeze in taller bleachers on one side by cutting it back to 90 feet... that could yield perhaps 3,000 total capacity. It would probably be enough for a women's team, but still inadequate for a B1G men's team.
                        Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                        I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                        Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                          Last I checked, most schools with women's hockey only have one rink. And, the opening of Value City notwithstanding, women's college hockey (out west anyway) didn't really exist before '98 (only the Gophers amongst WCHA teams had a program before that year), so why would OSU even think of starting a team before Value City opened?
                          Having two ice sheets is a big help. But if you're at all flexible, two varsities can share a rink without difficulty. Note that the OSU Men's Varsity regularly practices at the Ice Rink. The Ice Rink is also home to two club teams. I don't know how often the club teams practice. But you might say that the Ice Rink is actually home to 3.5 teams.

If there's only one rink with adequate seating, game times can be an issue. Some schools have addressed this by having the Women's Varsity play on a Saturday afternoon/Sunday afternoon basis. Maybe that's not a first choice, but it's not a bad solution at all.

I don't know much about the current set-up at Illinois. But if they were to build a new facility for Men's D-1 and renovate the existing rink for Women's D-1, they'd be following closely in our footsteps. I'm sure that both programs could thrive in that arrangement. But a single hockey-only facility can work just as well. Add a second sheet of ice for practice and you've got the best of the both worlds. All you'd lose is the option for the two teams to host games simultaneously. Personally I'd rather our two varsities didn't play head-to-head!

As for the late '90s, I'd say that a number of things came together at roughly the same time, but it was more of coincidence than anything else. Women's Club Hockey was very strong at OSU in the '90s, so there was a foundation in place that a new varsity could build on when the opportunity arose. And at the time the decision to build the Schott was made, there was a definite void in this market for an NHL/NBA caliber building. Yes, these two things happened contemporaneously. And it's probably fair to say that they were both part of a large package deal. But to the extent that Hockeybuckeye is saying there's a necessary connection between the two, I'd partially disagree. Was the package deal necessary from a political point of view? Quite possibly yes. Was it necessary from the perspective of operating two hockey programs? Again, no.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. Time to fire up the money incinerator.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

On Illinois web site they list 9 Men's sports and 10 Women's sports. Maybe they are already lined up for this to happen.
                              MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS!
                              National Champions:
                              1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 and 2003!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DLW4GOPHERS View Post
                                On Illinois web site they list 9 Men's sports and 10 Women's sports. Maybe they are already lined up for this to happen.
                                It's not about number of sports, it's about how much money they spend in each of the sports.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X