X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Video Games Thread VII: The 7th Generation Comes To A Close

Repost.

Originally Posted by Bakunin
    So, is it wise to intentionally not level up in Oblivion? I'm trying to grasp this level smoothing bit, and I'm only level 2 (although I am guessing by now I could easily go all the way up to 7-8).

Oh, and I forgot about the need to repair everything on a regular basis - that led to a rather...interesting situation to say the least (why yes, I had to kill things bare-handed while wearing nearly-useless armor in a crazed effort to shut down an oblivion gate - at level 1 no less).
    Here is how you should approach Oblivion leveling, depending on how you like to play.

First off, you can beat the game at level 1. You never need to level up to do all the content. Because the enemies will always be the same amount of levels below or above you, or the same as you. What changes as you level is that they become stronger, learn new spells, change to harder mob types.

The downside to never leveling up however is that you will never be able to use the high end armors, spells and weapons. They just won't be available to you. Also you won't be able to do most of the daedric quests, as most have level minimum requirements.

Now, lets assume you do want to level. When you level up you get to pick 3 stats to increase, by a max of +5. The + next to those stats will be based on how many times you increased certain skills before you filled the level up meter. The level up meter fills up as you increase major skills.

For every 2 skill ups you gain a +1 in the related stat. So if you increase Blunt 10 times, when you get to the level up screen the Strength stat will be available at +5. Also, if you skill up more than 10 times, it will carry the extra over to the next level up bar. So you never lose those increases.

So you can take the slow level up approach (recommended) meaning you control exactly what stats will be at +5 for each level you gain, and when exactly you will level up.

When you are asked to pick major skills at creation, choose 7 that you do not want to be your characters main traits. Obviously the downside will be that the bonus to those skills will be wasted on things you won't use very often. But skilling up really isn't that difficult.

Example. If you want to be a warrior who uses Heavy Armor and a 1 handed swords with shield. Your major skills might be Blunt, Light Armor, Marksman, Hand-to-Hand, Mysticism, Acrobatics, and Alchemy. All things you are going to use less often.

This way if you want to increase STR, END, and INT at the next level up, you can make sure you have 10 skill up's in the related skills before you max your level up bar. You would get the +5 to each of those by using your minor skills (Blade +10, Conjuration +10, Armorer +5/Heavy Armor +5).

You should always make a save before you decide to fill your level up bar, that way if any of the stats that you want aren't +5, you can go back and make sure you get enough skill ups to fix it.

Once you are ready to level up, simply use any of your major skills (i usually use Alchemy for this purpose) until you fill the level up bar, then go sleep.

If you decide to do the fast level up approach (not recommended) you will really have to be on top of what skills you are using and how often. That can be fairly difficult to do, but if you succeed you will open up the higher level items much quicker.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Re: Official Video Games Thread VII: The 7th Generation Comes To A Close

I'm more or less rolling the dice with regard to planning (or lack thereof). At least I've figured out a pretty simplistic way to rack up gold: harvest a bunch of random crap and/or buy ingredients cheaply and then make tons of potions and sell them at a massive profit. As long as I can boost my STR/END by the max amount (or close to it), I should be okay. I've generally held up well in battles, other than the occasional bricking when faced with odd-man rushes.

Apparently, some site recommended boosting luck every level as well, since it feeds (fractionally) into other beneficial things (such as arena betting which I have yet to do).

Comment

On the thread title, it's interesting to see how long this generation is going compared even to the previous one. The PS3 and Wii both turned 5 this past week, the 360 turned 6 as well, and the only one that has a replacement announced is the Wii. For comparison, the PS2 was 5 when the PS3 was announced, and the XBox was less than 4 when the 360 was announced, and that after six months to a year of rumors for both. Now, with 5/6 year old consoles and we have barely a hint of a rumor of replacement.

I'd consider the Wii U as a 7.5 generation console. And of you do that, the 8th generation is probably still 2-3 years off.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The issue for gen 8 is that there hasn't been a huge jump in tech that they can attach to the new systems. Everything has incrementally gotten better. We are heading towards Photo Realistic HD game play, improved non-glasses Digital 3D, improved motion controls, improved processor speeds, larger HDD space that are smaller and don't run as hot, etc.

But nothing ground breaking.
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          I'm more or less rolling the dice with regard to planning (or lack thereof). At least I've figured out a pretty simplistic way to rack up gold: harvest a bunch of random crap and/or buy ingredients cheaply and then make tons of potions and sell them at a massive profit. As long as I can boost my STR/END by the max amount (or close to it), I should be okay. I've generally held up well in battles, other than the occasional bricking when faced with odd-man rushes.

Apparently, some site recommended boosting luck every level as well, since it feeds (fractionally) into other beneficial things (such as arena betting which I have yet to do).
          Luck would benefit your drop rates on rare items, but I don't think you can effect it enough to make it really useful. Seems like a wasted stat increase until your main stats are maxed.

An easy way to tell if you are falling behind, fight trolls. They can be tough even when you are properly leveled. If they crush you, you are falling behind.

ETA: Long ago I created a near perfect leveling scheme for a warrior.

Female Orc
          Specialization: Combat
          Attributes: STR, END
          Birthsign: Warrior

Major: Blunt, Light Armor, Marksman, Alchemy, Mysticism, Acrobatics, Hand-to-Hand
          Base Stats (w/bonuses applied): STR 60, INT 40, WIL 45, AGI 35, SPD 30, END 65, LCK 50, PER 25

Leveling (+5 to each stat):
          2 STR, INT, END
          3 STR, INT, END
          4 STR, INT, END
          5 STR, INT, END
          6 STR, WIL, END
          7 STR, INT, END
          8 STR, WIL, END (endurance maxed)
          9 STR, INT, WIL (strength maxed)
          10 INT, WIL, AGI
          11 INT, WIL, AGI
          12 INT, WIL, AGI
          13 INT, WIL, AGI
          14 INT, WIL, AGI
          15 INT, WIL, AGI (intelligence maxed)
          16 WIL, AGI, PER
          17 WIL, AGI, PER (willpower maxed)
          18 AGI, SPD, PER
          19 AGI, SPD, PER
          20 AGI, SPD, PER
          Last edited by JF_Gophers; 11-19-2011, 11:09 AM.
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            The issue for gen 8 is that there hasn't been a huge jump in tech that they can attach to the new systems. Everything has incrementally gotten better. We are heading towards Photo Realistic HD game play, improved non-glasses Digital 3D, improved motion controls, improved processor speeds, larger HDD space that are smaller and don't run as hot, etc.

But nothing ground breaking.
            The other factor is firmware updates. The tech that has come about lately has been added via updates. A PS3 today is drastically different from a 2006 PS3.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

JF, I mentioned luck because of this: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Luck - according to that site, any luck points you have over 50 are multiplied by 0.4 and added to all skills. So, if you maxed your luck to 100, all your skills would be boosted by 20 due to luck. Apparently, it has no influence on treasure/drops.

If you can get +5 in two attributes each level, you can max out all attributes by level 50 even if you spend a point on luck each time (obviously it would be very difficult to accomplish this as it would require insane amounts of planning with regard to timing of boosting various skill sets, and I am simply not interested in that level of effort).

Assuming enemies don't start kicking the **** out of me as I level, I don't believe I'll start spending points on luck 'til at least level 15-20 (at which point at least 3-4 attributes should be maxed out). According to that site's creature list, trolls are at level 8, so I won't be seeing them for awhile (I want to rack up some gold and upgrade equipment a bit before crossing the level 5 threshold).

Comment

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is garbage

Comment

Wow. SR3 gets more ridiculous and over the top the farther into the story you go. I am at 60% so far. Started out fighting 3 gangs and police, then came military, and now zombies. Vehicles started with cars/trucks, then came SWAT SUVs and helicopters, then planes and tanks, now hover bikes!
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Apoca-Fists are as advertised. The greatest weapon in video game history!
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Subscribed because my +1 mace > your fist
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Easy respect grinding: steal a car and bail out of it going head-on into traffic for Car Torpedo. Up to 100 respect a pop.

Base jumping and killing gang members works too.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Endurance races are a beech in GT. Dumb question, since I am pretty sure I know the answer:

Are the 24 hour races really 24 hours? You can't save mid-race? And if I turn off the "auto power off" option, so I can race in say, 4 6-hour increments over a couple days, will that hurt the machine?
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Endurance races are a beech in GT. Dumb question, since I am pretty sure I know the answer:

Are the 24 hour races really 24 hours? You can't save mid-race? And if I turn off the "auto power off" option, so I can race in say, 4 6-hour increments over a couple days, will that hurt the machine?
                            When you enter the pits, there's a button to suspend the race. It saves and then you exit the game. When you restart the game it automatically goes back to where you were.

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
                              When you enter the pits, there's a button to suspend the race. It saves and then you exit the game. When you restart the game it automatically goes back to where you were.
                              Yeah I thought they added a save feature at some point.

And I would not leave a PS3 on for days at a time. Overheating is a big contributor to YLOD. Granted, there a ways to prevent it, it just involves taking it apart completely...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                              X