X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXII

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Here it is thursday an no one has been talking about this weekend's games. DU has home ice advantage for the first round of the playoffs, but this weekend makes a big deifference in who we play. Plus the Pios need to get winning 2 in a row on track. As of today we would be hosting Bemidji, but Wisconsin and St. Cloud are also possibilities.

UNO is a good team that can be dangerous and taking them lightly would be a big mistake. Two points is mandatory and 4 is preferred. We need to keep winning to get a place in the NCAAs.

S11, Think Zucker has had 2 penalty shots this year and missed both. Think we have given up 2 penalty shots this season. (If I get bored later, may go back and check the box scores.)
    Yeah, we always seem to get scored on for penalty shots, and miss our own penalty shots. It's time to let Knowlton take the next one.

I seriously can't picture DU taking ANYONE lightly, after what happened with Huntsville. The only way they are going to win ANY game, is with hard work, playing as a team. Man, I hope they've learned that much.

Good effort on Saturday, I hope it's a launching board for this weekend. I haven't read anything on the goalie rotation, but I'd give Jussi the start on Friday, and Brittain the start on Saturday.

Comment

How about Matt Donovan currently leading the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in scoring?! 31 points in 53 games. Rhett Rakshani is tied for 2nd with 26 points in 29 games. (Top scorer, Cizikas, was called up to the Islanders.)

Back to this weekend, if DU can stay out of the penalty box and put its Power Play to work, victories will be a lot easier to come by.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

How about Matt Donovan currently leading the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in scoring?! 31 points in 53 games. Rhett Rakshani is tied for 2nd with 26 points in 29 games. (Top scorer, Cizikas, was called up to the Islanders.)

Back to this weekend, if DU can stay out of the penalty box and put its Power Play to work, victories will be a lot easier to come by.
        From your lips to God's ears. Seems like this entire season we've been saying to ourselves "okay, this win gets them back on track and the uninspired, uneven play is a thing of the past. From now on they're going to play up to their capabilities."
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

*****http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--L0yV_b_lX0/TsZG5BQWjbI/AAAAAAAALc4/pT1vuHwg2m8/s400/ImageyoxIi9p42FITKnVcJMrduQ%25253D%25253D%25255B1% 25255D.jpg******
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

For those of you that didn't know the Penguins practiced at DU yesterday. There is a complete recap on their website of practice at http://penguins.nhl.com/. They have a lot of photos of Magness Arena. The Penguins also had a scrimmage with their college players vs. junior players. The college alumns wore DU gold jerseys during the scrimmage.

Comment

(Note: ROOT SPORTS Pittsburgh will be airing a feature on Bennett and fellow Pioneer Ty Loney, son of former Penguin Troy Loney, during Saturday's broadcast of the Pens-Avalanche game).
              Hope someone hijacks this interview it should be good.

There is also a Q and A with Beau Bennett on the Pens site
              GO DU !!!

Comment

More good pics of the Pens practice at Magness.
                http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...descoop#2:00PM

AND David Makowski's 180 foot goal won Channel 9's "Most Spectacular Moment"
                http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205389908
                Last edited by vizoroo; 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Very cool photos of the Pens practice.

Comment

From Priceless in the bracketology thread.

#13 Denver at #30 Nebraska-Omaha: Denver sits on the bubble of making the tournament whereas UNO is on the bubble for being a TUC. Losing them as a TUC would be bad news for Minnesota (2-0) and Denver (currently 1-0-1 vs UNO). To remain a TUC through the weekend, UNO needs at least one tie. A sweep would boost Denver's RPI enough that even losing the Mavs as a TUC would bump them into the top 10 in the pairwise.
                    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

From FS23
                      Re: College Hockey: By the Decade
                      College Hockey Weekly has put up the Coach of the Decade for the 2000s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2...he-Decade.html

Also, they have put up the Best Programs of the Decade for the 2000s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2...-Programs.html
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

From FS23
                        Re: College Hockey: By the Decade
                        College Hockey Weekly has put up the Coach of the Decade for the 2000s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2...he-Decade.html

Also, they have put up the Best Programs of the Decade for the 2000s...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2...-Programs.html
                        I suppose I'll add here that Gwozdecky finished 3rd in the Coach of the Decade for the 2000s. While we probably won't see too much of DU in the 90's, they might make their way back into the mix in the 80's and 70's. I fully expect DU to dominate the 60's, although I'm not sure when those particular lists will be published.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Some how the coaches link and the programs link that vizoroo posted got messed up.

And thanks, '23 for the news on Gwoz.
                          Last edited by duper; 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                            Some how the coaches link and the programs link that vizoroo posted got messed up.

And thanks, '23 for the news on Gwoz.
                            No problem with Jerry York as coach of the decade. And if you are going to use just the numbers, then I suppose Lucia is #2.

But if you factor in what Gwozdecky has done to lift the program and all the built-in advantages that Lucia has at Minnesota, its not even close. Gwozdecky is clearly #2. All you need to know is that When Minnesota rolled out 6 Minnesotans last Saturday week, there was DU with 5 Coloradans in the starting lineup plus Sam Brittain.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              No problem with Jerry York as coach of the decade. And if you are going to use just the numbers, then I suppose Lucia is #2.

But if you factor in what Gwozdecky has done to lift the program and all the built-in advantages that Lucia has at Minnesota, its not even close. Gwozdecky is clearly #2. All you need to know is that When Minnesota rolled out 6 Minnesotans last Saturday week, there was DU with 5 Coloradans in the starting lineup plus Sam Brittain.
                              You could definitely look at it that way, but I see it as George got the program back up and going in the mid to late 90's. By the 2000s, DU was one of the big boys on the block. Also, Lucia took a program that was on hard times, and turned it around. I will grant that it was far easier to turn Minnesota around than DU, but Lucia actually turned the Gophers around in the decade at hand.

That being said, Gwozdecky did a very good job at DU in the 2000s, and it is not as if Lucia was the runaway runner up. Gwoz finished 1 vote back from getting a share of the runner-up. Given that, it was more of a 2 and 2a type situation.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I just noticed that Gavin Morgan is an assistant coach at Huntsville. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X