X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXII

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
    Any PWR prognostications? DU is on the bubble being tied for 11th, and UNO doesn't look like a "high quality" opponent for (PWR purposes) at 29. Wondering what will happen if we get out of Omaha with 3 points or better--would it raise DU a spot or two in the PWR...would we fall...or remain on the bubble? I'm sure there are a ton of variables.

I also don't recall what the TUC factor involves. If we have a successful weekend at UNO, could it hurt UNO's PWR to the point where UNO would no longer be a TUC, thereby hurting DU's PWR ranking?
    DU just needs to keep winning and the PWR will be in its favor. DU has as few as 4 games to as many as 8 games to state their case in the PWR. If they only play 4 to 5 games, the season is probably over as that meant they lost the 1st round of the WCHA playoffs. In that scenario at best they would be 3-2 and on the flip side could be 0-4 or 1-4. If they play 8 games that means they made it to the final game in the WCHA playoffs. That I would think would put them in the NCAAs even if they were to lose the final game. The final game winner gets the auto-bid. As Al Davis used to say "Just win baby".
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
      Any PWR prognostications? DU is on the bubble being tied for 11th, and UNO doesn't look like a "high quality" opponent for (PWR purposes) at 29. Wondering what will happen if we get out of Omaha with 3 points or better--would it raise DU a spot or two in the PWR...would we fall...or remain on the bubble? I'm sure there are a ton of variables.

I also don't recall what the TUC factor involves. If we have a successful weekend at UNO, could it hurt UNO's PWR to the point where UNO would no longer be a TUC, thereby hurting DU's PWR ranking?
      Huge Pairwise ramifications this weekend. The question is, do you cheer for a better Pairwise situation or an easier WCHA 1st round opponent?

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/

Not only is UNO [#29] "on the TUC bubble," but Bemidji State [#31] is precariously perched on there as well. DU is 3-1-0 against BSU this season.

Its conceivable that that DU could sweep UNO and if BSU split or was swept by UAA, DU could drop a spot or two.

On the otherhand, BSU could sweep and DU could take three points from UNO and leap up to #6 or #7. I'm not proposing that DU intentionally tie UNO on Saturday night, but its one of the many pratfalls of the Pairwise System.

Lets hope DU sweeps UNO and we should cheer for BSU. DU fans should probably cheer against SCSU as well since DU went 1-1-0 them. And as always cheer against CC, because its so much fun to watch them suffer.

All that being said, I'd prefer DU avoids Bucky in the 1st Round of the WCHA playoffs. Oh yeah, lets get Bennett & Makowski back by the Final 5.

So to recap, DU sweeps, BSU sweeps & DU sweeps Sconnie in playoffs. Its not impossible for DU to end up with a #1 NCAA seeding if they keep winning, because 7 wins against TUC's would likely get the job done.
      Last edited by dggoddard; 02-28-2012, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Interesting comments on the PWR. A fickle beast, indeed.

I'd also like to give a belated shout out to Drew Shore for his two AMAZING assists on Saturday night, especially the one to Zucker. I'm also thinking about his highlight-reel assist to Nick to get us into OT vs. Minnesota. Drew has incredible vision. The more I see, the more I'm convinced that he will succeed in the NHL. But hopefully AFTER next season!

Also, Chris Knowlton--has he turned into our best breakaway artist, or what? The kid plays with a lot of heart, too.

Comment

Rookie of the Year discussion has begun.
          http://ciskie.blogspot.com/2012/02/w...e-of-year.html
          Not surprisingly it appears to be a 2 man race--our own Joey Laleggia vs that goofer Kyle Rau.

If there was a category for Most Surprising Rookie of the Year, Juho Olkinuora would have to be at the top of the list!
          Last edited by vizoroo; 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

For those of you that like to plan hockey weekend road trips six or seven years ahead of time here's some future developments.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2012/02...-pleasant.html

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
              Sorry to say, but there have been quite a few times that watching Drew, i have to think that he has nothing more to learn in college and should jump. Other times, not so much (but almost). His skills, work ethic, positioning, responsibility - it is all there. Hate to lose him, but it may be better for him to get out before one of them UNDies or burrowing rodents tries to hurt him if he stays.
              I wouldn't really blame him if he jumped. But I think there are some things to draw him back:

1) obviously, playing with Quentin and Nick next year;

2) the chance to play with Bennett next year, if Bennett returns (instant contenders with those two on the team);

3) the chance to finish his degree.

The degree part might not usually be a huge factor to a 2nd round pick, but he comes from an educated family (parents met in law school, etc.) so the education may be a stronger pull on Drew than it would be on other kids.

That said, if he can get to the team to the Frozen Four THIS year, then he has my blessing to go NHL if he wants to. Ha, we better make the tourney first.

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
                Sorry to say, but there have been quite a few times that watching Drew, i have to think that he has nothing more to learn in college and should jump. Other times, not so much (but almost). His skills, work ethic, positioning, responsibility - it is all there. Hate to lose him, but it may be better for him to get out before one of them UNDies or burrowing rodents tries to hurt him if he stays.
                http://www.letsgodu.blogspot.com/201...ll-return.html

A big season year next year and Drew will get Tyler Bozak/Blake Wheeler money. The rookie maximum [with #1 overall pick bonus potential].

Factor in that the Florida Panthers are loaded at Centerand probably want to give him 2nd round money. To me staying for a fourth year and becoming a free agent is a no-brainer.

Zucker is in a different situation. The Wild want him badly and have tipped their hand. They will give him close to the Rookie max to pry him out of DU early.
                Last edited by dggoddard; 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

nO SURPRISE THAT THE wILD WANT zUCKER. bUT DO YOU REALLY THINK HE WILL BE IN THE nhl NEXT YEAR? (oops that cap lock jumped up ) And the Wild's GM would be guilty of tampering in many other sports, but then again you usually aren't drafted until after you give up your eligibility

Really hoping that Drew returns to DU next year. DU parents, DU brothers, team Captain.... IMHO he has been the best player this year!

Knowlton getting props from Gwoz for his short handed goal. Will and determination--something the whole team needs to practice for the next 6 weeks.

No question or mention of Beau and Makowski in the presser--guess they won't be playing at UNO this weekend
                  Last edited by vizoroo; 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

So what will it take for you guys to coax Swami out of exile this spring? Is it absolutely off the table?

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      nO SURPRISE THAT THE wILD WANT zUCKER. bUT DO YOU REALLY THINK HE WILL BE IN THE nhl NEXT YEAR? (oops that cap lock jumped up ) And the Wild's GM would be guilty of tampering in many other sports, but then again you usually aren't drafted until after you give up your eligibility

Really hoping that Drew returns to DU next year. DU parents, DU brothers, team Captain.... IMHO he has been the best player this year!

Knowlton getting props from Gwoz for his short handed goal. Will and determination--something the whole team needs to practice for the next 6 weeks.

No question or mention of Beau and Makowski in the presser--guess they won't be playing at UNO this weekend
                      Game notes indicate Beau and David are both out.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205388609

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        So what will it take for you guys to coax Swami out of exile this spring? Is it absolutely off the table?
                        He will not be back here.

Comment

Knowlton, LaLeggia, and Olkinuora nominated for WCHA honors
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

coaxing him? Yes. Efforts were made and failed. If he returns he returns but I doubt that it will be because any of us asked him to.

Edit: And I tend to agree with du78.

Comment

Re: Swami
                              Originally posted by duper View Post
                              coaxing him? Yes. Efforts were made and failed. If he returns he returns but I doubt that it will be because any of us asked him to.

Edit: And I tend to agree with du78.
                              Maybe he will miss us.;-( (that's a tear in my eye)
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

The elusive Puck Swami responded to this very good DU Clarion editorial yesterday.

http://www.duclarion.com/sports/wher...2#.T05MtcyziME

Comment

Working...
                                X