The Official Thread of Poker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Thread of Poker

I didn't say that's how they make their money jeezuz crispus. I said they become a better player by playing THOUSANDS more hands in stakes that are relatively much lower but yet played by very skilled people and it makes them better players live. Christ don't you watch interviews and the retrospectives they air on players that now regularly make the final table? Far, far more often they grew up playing online first and they're now dominating the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I didn't say that's how they make their money jeezuz crispus. I said they become a better player by playing THOUSANDS more hands in stakes that are relatively much lower but yet played by very skilled people and it makes them better players live. Christ don't you watch interviews and the retrospectives they air on players that now regularly make the final table? Far, far more often they grew up playing online first and they're now dominating the game.
      Back up, Shooter McGavin.

Two separate thoughts here: learning online, they probably aren't going to bet the amounts they do bet live.
      HOWEVER, they will bet enough money (nickels to them, dollars to us) to learn the ways of online gamblers.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Back up, Shooter McGavin.

Two separate thoughts here: learning online, they probably aren't going to bet the amounts they do bet live.
        HOWEVER, they will bet enough money (nickels to them, dollars to us) to learn the ways of online gamblers.
        That doesn't mean dick. They're dominating the final tables of the most lucrative tournaments in the world and are most likely playing high stakes cash games as well.

Comment

Basically online poker gave us the "math" based player, no? The guy who knows what his odds are based on what he reads... They let numbers drive things instead of a straight gut feeling. Basically the same shift that baseball went through when Sabermetrics became a thing, right?
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Basically online poker gave us the "math" based player, no? The guy who knows what his odds are based on what he reads... They let numbers drive things instead of a straight gut feeling. Basically the same shift that baseball went through when Sabermetrics became a thing, right?
            And betting patterns were more noticed. Does the player bet 1/3 pot, 1/5 pot, etc? How long before a player makes a bet/action (although that could also depend on your internet speed)?
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              I agree without question, but even high stakes players have to have picked up on the fact that the kids now regularly dominating the game honed their craft online and if you can't beat 'em...
              I'm sure that some of the older players, such as Hellmuth or Negreneu play some online poker. It's convenient, you don't even have to change out of your bathrobe, and you can make some money at it.

But the players in their 20's and 30's at the WSOP final tables, who certainly learned and perfected their games online, are for the most part online grinders. That is, they'll sit down and play 16 online tournaments at a time, but the tourneys don't have a buy-in more than a $100. They sit there and play ABC poker, using the computer programs that monitor precisely betting patterns of other players, etc..., and they might make twenty or thirty grand a month, when they are running well.

Or, they'll grind the $5-10NL cash games.

I'm not even sure that the online sites have ever spread games bigger than say $1000-2000.

But those aren't the games that Ivey and Hellmuth and Todd Brunson and the rest of the high stakes players chase. They'll sit down at the $3000-6000 mixed game at the Bellagio until something bigger comes along. If they want to make real money online, they'll just plan a heads up match with someone else and have stakes so high no one will join, or they will go into Bobby's room and play a big game.

Or, if they are really lucky, Andy Beal will show up and they'll play $50,000-100,000.

You don't see most of these WSOP guys in those games. Most of the time when I've been in those rooms, main event champs like Joe Hachem or Greg Raymer, or some of the young online guys like Andrew Robl are playing in the $300-600 mixed game.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well, it's over....what a final showdown, from what I've read. However, Q8o? Really? I mean, after that flop, REALLY?

Comment

For Nate Silver's legion of fans on this site, he has made a really deep run in this years World Series of Poker Main event. Most entries ever (10,043) and Silver presently sits in position 108 out of just 149 remaining. He has a bit of a short stack, but with some luck, who knows.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                  X