Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Thread of Poker

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    When I'm at the local watering hole, they have it on the tv. Trying to find updates on the ESPN site has been laughable, especially when they are airing it.
    http://www.wsop.com

Thatís what I use.

Re: The Official Thread of Poker

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Actually following the WSOP Main Event as coworker/friend is playing in it (he won a tournament here for his buy-in). Heís 25th in chips right now after Day 2B
    How did your friend end up doing?

Down to 12. That escalated quickly. Thank you, blinds, I guess.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

To his credit, he admitted later he was out of line. He also paid to have the player entered in next year's main event.

Also, he picked up bracelet number 15 last night.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    How did your friend end up doing?
    357th or somewhere around there. Finished ITM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    357th or somewhere around there. Finished ITM.
    Nice
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

I have a first cousin whom I've barely met who won it at age 25 in the 90s some time. I don't think he has placed high in quite some time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I have a first cousin whom I've barely met who won it at age 25 in the 90s some time. I don't think he has placed high in quite some time, though.
    Is that right, the Main Event? I know Huck Seed won it in the '90's and was something like 26 or 27, but I'm not sure any of the other champions from the 90's were in that age range.

By the way, the final hand last night (or early this morning) to get down to the final table was crazy. Essentially three players went all in, putting $112 million in chips into the pot. The player, of the three, that had the most chips had two kings. The player, of the three, who had the least chips, had the other two kings. The third player had pocket aces. Pretty much a dream scenario for him. Knocked out one player, severely crippled the other, and vaulted himself into the chip lead with 25%+ of the total chips in play.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Is that right, the Main Event? I know Huck Seed won it in the '90's and was something like 26 or 27, but I'm not sure any of the other champions from the 90's were in that age range.
    Yeah, Huck. Actually, his dad is my first cousin, so I guess Huck is once removed. I don't know Huck personally.

His grandma was born and raised in Bottineau Cty.
    Last edited by burd; 07-12-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Yeah, Huck. Actually, his dad is my first cousin, so I guess Huck is once removed. I don't know Huck personally.

His grandma was born and raised in Bottineau Cty.
    He's been a pretty successful player, although I don't think you hear a lot about him now. A lot of those guys, once they hit 50 or so, probably just get tired of the grind, especially if they've been successful and managed to put something away.

Lucia Apologist

That Iíve heard of him should tell you heís done something.

Until Kid Poker wins it it's all a sham.

I keed I keed

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Until Kid Poker wins it it's all a sham.

I keed I keed
    IALTO.

Winners are generally getting younger and younger, due to online poker. What took older players years and years to learn is taking only months for the young'ns. More hands played in a session, is the most basic explanation. You can play 5, 6, 10 tables at once online, faster hands online than manual dealing, etc.

When I was playing online, I was doing 3 tables sometimes: one NLHE, one Razz, one Omaha. That quick-gear shifting between games was a BEECH, but I was learning at a high rate (FTR, NEVER was good at Omaha. Ever.)

I imagine most of the players at that level (Hellmuth included) now play the majority of their hands online.

I imagine most of the players at that level (Hellmuth included) now play the majority of their hands online.
    I would guess so, but uncertain. Some pros play online for their companies/sponsors for the PR. I've chatted with Jesus and Matusow in the past. That was pretty cool. I bet there was still a learning curve.

IIRC, I think it was either Howard Lederer or Chris Ferguson that wanted to see how much they could make, starting with freerolls into payout tourneys, in a year. Those guys are insane (yes, the player in question made a decent amount of money, a salary you could live off of).

When poker became all the rage a decade ago and regular channels were airing several, "after dark" no limit holdem shows the amount of CASH that they often played with felt like what it would be for you and I to bet with $1 bills.

When poker became all the rage a decade ago and regular channels were airing several, "after dark" no limit holdem shows the amount of CASH that they often played with felt like what it would be for you and I to bet with $1 bills.
    Yeah, pretty much. One such hand:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXsbHWS6NkA

Yeah, pretty much. One such hand:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXsbHWS6NkA
    Haha I watched that!!

Thread Information