Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 D1 Commitments

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
    Happens on the men's side all the time. I wish more females would PG somewhere.
    I don't.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      I don't.
      Me neither! I say most should focus on getting into the school of their choice, doing the very best they can both in hockey and in the classroom, graduating on time and then getting on with their lives.

For the truly exceptional player, if the National/Olympic team is a possibility then by all means go for it. But there is no reason for the vast majority to delay their transition into whatever they want to do, post their competitive hockey playing days.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
        Not sure how many men do a post grad year and then play Division one hockey. Most of them play junior hockey as opposed to doing a year of post grad. Also I really don't think that a year of post grad is needed for the female players who play AAA or high level prep hockey. For most or all of the top U-19 players, D-1 college hockey IS the next progression. If a player is not on the D-1 college radar by the time she is a senior in high school, I doubt that an extra year will change that.
        I have seen many PG players get the D1 ride. Many of the Northeast players are essentially doing a PG year because they repeat a year in Prep School, same is true in QC where the go to grades 12& 13 at CGEP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Call It View Post
          I have seen many PG players get the D1 ride. Many of the Northeast players are essentially doing a PG year because they repeat a year in Prep School, same is true in QC where the go to grades 12& 13 at CGEP.
          I think most coaches prefer a (hopefully) more mature 19-20 yr old freshman over a 17-18 yr old. Also recruiting budgets are slim for womens hockey, so mistakes are made in judging or missinf talent too. Plus Canada gives the extra year and possibly creates more value for the older player. But, who knows? It should be about kids getting the best education, whether D1, D3 or ACHA. Would you rather have a degree from Harvard (and many great D1-D3 schools)or an institution with strong hockey but lower education standards? Most of these players will not get a chance to play U18-U22 or International after graduation...get the degree and play as long as you can or want!!

Comment

If most coaches wanted a 19 or 20 year old freshman then why are almost all of the commitments posted on this thread 94 and 95 birth year seniors in high school --both American and Canadian?
            Originally posted by chicagoice View Post
            I think most coaches prefer a (hopefully) more mature 19-20 yr old freshman over a 17-18 yr old. Also recruiting budgets are slim for womens hockey, so mistakes are made in judging or missinf talent too. Plus Canada gives the extra year and possibly creates more value for the older player. But, who knows? It should be about kids getting the best education, whether D1, D3 or ACHA. Would you rather have a degree from Harvard (and many great D1-D3 schools)or an institution with strong hockey but lower education standards? Most of these players will not get a chance to play U18-U22 or International after graduation...get the degree and play as long as you can or want!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
              If most coaches wanted a 19 or 20 year old freshman then why are almost all of the commitments posted on this thread 94 and 95 birth year seniors in high school --both American and Canadian?
              Sorry...wasn't clear. Replying to boys model with junior hockey versus womens hockey and the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                Exactly. Because there's not enough PG/Junior players to choose from. I get it, I've been there. On the mens DIII side, nearly all recruits come from some type of junior hockey league. And 98% of them will never make a dollar playing hockey after college. So I would think the more PG or transfer players the better on the womens side as far as coaches are considered.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Me neither! I say most should focus on getting into the school of their choice, doing the very best they can both in hockey and in the classroom, graduating on time and then getting on with their lives.

For the truly exceptional player, if the National/Olympic team is a possibility then by all means go for it. But there is no reason for the vast majority to delay their transition into whatever they want to do, post their competitive hockey playing days.
                  What?! You mean get on with unemployment? Your statement is a blanket statement, however some players male or female are not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                    What?! You mean get on with unemployment? Your statement is a blanket statement, however some players male or female are not ready.
                    Why not?

Comment

Ok, I'll chirp in based on my kid's experience. She had an opportunity to do a post grad, but chose to get on with university. As a parent I would have preferred for her to do a PG, but supported her either way. Without getting into a long story, a PG year would have been an excellent option for her. That said, it's not for everyone.

Until their is a USHL, NAHL, or Canadian Jr A women's option (maybe 20 years from now), high school/prep, etc will be the main feeder system for university women's hockey and PGs will continue to be few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                        Ok, I'll chirp in based on my kid's experience. She had an opportunity to do a post grad, but chose to get on with university. As a parent I would have preferred for her to do a PG, but supported her either way. Without getting into a long story, a PG year would have been an excellent option for her. That said, it's not for everyone.

Until their is a USHL, NAHL, or Canadian Jr A women's option (maybe 20 years from now), high school/prep, etc will be the main feeder system for university women's hockey and PGs will continue to be few and far between.
                        USHL. That league is free for the players, equipment too. Includes education at a local HS. This league is promoted & supported by USA Hockey. The NTDP plays in it. Does anyone else here feel that if USA Hockey had to abide by Title 9 that they would have some serious items to change? Even if the title 9 didn't come into effect, I'm just sick of paying for the NTDP and the girls receive nothing of equal value.

The JWHL is at ND this weekend, I have watch several bits & pieces on the free live stream. What happens on the boys side is that they funnel up to the USHL from other Jr, HS, Prep Leagues. If the JWHL had a model of the USHL (FREE) it would be a league you had to play in to be a top D1 player. All USHL players go D1. The question is what percentage of the girls would want to do it? I don't know.

Comment

All USHL players go D1.
                          This is not true.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                            All USHL players go D1.
                            This is not true.
                            you mean some go pro? D3?

If they go D3 then the USHL doesn't publish them on their website, that I could find.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                              USHL. That league is free for the players, equipment too. Includes education at a local HS.
                              The ONLY reason why this is true is because the revenues derived from attendance support it. A USHL for women would not draw enough fans to cover these expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                The ONLY reason why this is true is because the revenues derived from attendance support it. A USHL for women would not draw enough fans to cover these expenses.
                                That is how Title 9 works, a NCAA D1 men's program loses less money than a Women's but because of Title 9 they have a women's program. I understand that USA Hockey doesn't need to comply with Title 9.

Comment

Working...
                                X