This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2011-2012

Real solid effort by the Lakers tonight. They could't afford to take even one shift off, and they didn't. Lakers missed a few chances and could have had a couple of more goals, but the effort was there. They still need to work on clearing their zone, though, as there were some scary moments tonight because of that. The officiating was a joke, but what else to you expect from the CCHA.

Next weekend should be interesting, and hoping they can steal one on the road.

Comment

Wish I could have been there, it sounded like a great game on the radio. Let's keep it rolling next weekend in Columbus!
      Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post
        I know I've mentioned it before, but I still think that the current Laker fanbase justifies an arena of about 2500 seats. I wish they routinely drew 3500 like when I first started attending games, but I don't see this happening again. The large arena dilutes the atmosphere. What do people think about reducing the seating capacity and using the freed space for the renovations? I know it's hard to accept that people aren't coming out in greater numbers, but that is the reality. A packed in 2500 would produce a greater home ice atvantage. Financially, if they are approaching capacity on most nights, they could justify raising the embarrassingly low ticket price.

I could imagine eliminating the north end seating, keep the upper walkway, and build an elevated blueliners suite above an expanded pro shop.
        I don't have any problems with what you are saying in theory, but I don't think it would pass muster with the WCHA.

The other issue is this. If the Lakers become a winning team on a pretty routine basis in the new WCHA, and occasionally an NCAA tournament team, would a 2500 seat arena be sufficient or would LSSU be better off with the current 3500 size? Would a winning team attract enough fans, without the current big name draws, such that a 3500 seat arena will be better?

Comment

Lakers move up in the Pairwise rankings. They are now tied for 5th.
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Congrats on the split with the Irish at home this weekend. Getting points from the few teams above us is very
            important, as is winning at home. What's up with the Wolverines???? Losing first to Northeastern and now trailing Union 4-1 in the second, both at cozy Yost??? Now seems to be the right time to play them? Do they have injuries???

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
              Congrats on the split with the Irish at home this weekend. Getting points from the few teams above us is very
              important, as is winning at home. What's up with the Wolverines???? Losing first to Northeastern and now trailing Union 4-1 in the second, both at cozy Yost??? Now seems to be the right time to play them? Do they have injuries???
              I think we broke them. lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I think we broke them. lol!
                Michigan broke your football team, so you're even.

Actually, Miami swept Michigan the week before OSU swept them. Wolverines haven't won a game for 3 consecutive weekends.

Comment

To be honest our football team was broke before we got to Ann Arbor, so can't give the Wolverines credit for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    I don't have any problems with what you are saying in theory, but I don't think it would pass muster with the WCHA.

The other issue is this. If the Lakers become a winning team on a pretty routine basis in the new WCHA, and occasionally an NCAA tournament team, would a 2500 seat arena be sufficient or would LSSU be better off with the current 3500 size? Would a winning team attract enough fans, without the current big name draws, such that a 3500 seat arena will be better?
                    What about going to 2500 fixed seats and dusting off and installing the old wooden bleachers that used to be in the southwest corner of the arena. They made for great atmosphere when stomped by fans, and could be pulled out if needed.

Does the WCHA have a specific seating number requirement?

Comment

What about going to 2500 fixed seats and dusting off and installing the old wooden bleachers that used to be in the southwest corner of the arena. They made for great atmosphere when stomped by fans, and could be pulled out if needed.

Does the WCHA have a specific seating number requirement?
                      I don't remember if the number was 3000 or 3500 (seems like it may have been 3500), but there were indications that the WCHA (new) wanted a minimum seating capacity when admitting new members for 2013-14. I don't know how flexible they might be with that number, if at all. Ferris State obviously comes to mind as not meeting that requirement but they have been accepted by the WCHA. I don't know what promises Ferris had to make in terms of upgrading their arena, but presumably they had to make some.

Comment

I can't think of any reasons why spending money to make the stadium smaller makes any sense. If you're planning for the future and trying to send a message (especially to recruits) that the program is on the upswing, downsizing your arena is not going to improve your image.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                          They still have a lot of talent......although I never was a Hunwick fan. Maybe their D is now exposing him? The other thing is................did Mel Pearson have a bigger role than most thought? MTU seems to be having a good start.

Comment

A huge win on Saturday. Huge. I don't believe in "statement" games . . but at least our Lakers didn't fold. A sweep was a rael possiblity and instead, the team really came out flying. A split at OSU would be fine with me (although I think OSU may have peeked already). This is a tough part of the schedule. Classes are coming to a close. Finals. Little injuries. Christmas coming up. And the Lakers are grinding it through. Tough games against Ferris. A poor outing against Bemidji, followed by a decent saturday to get a split. A Long bus ride to Buffalo to play in a nice, but very small, municipal ice-rink with the team fighting a ravaging bug. Home to an empty Thanksgiving campus for a brutal series against a pretty good Irish team. In this stretch the Lakers are fighting through, and coming out on top more often than not.

This is not the best team in the world, but they play as a very good team. With good goaltending, this team is putting things together.

But the Battle for First Place awaits! Another long road trip to play in another mostly-empty arena (this time the Big Ten's mighty OSU with about 3,000 tickets sold -- and probably less than that in attendance). I am quite sure the good people of Columbus and OSU have no idea there is even a hockey game scheduled this coming weekend, let alone that its a battle for First Place. Just another wonderful reason to be happy the Big Ten and their loud-but-clueless fans are moving along to play with themselves). The Boys need to gut their way through this set of games. Then they get a sort of a break against NMU (although I don't think this team is going to make any weekend easy . . . no team that relies upon defense and goaltending and opporunistic scoring will ever have easy weekends. Defense = hard, hard work). Then Finals. Then Christmas. And then a really nice set of games in lovely Vermont over the New Year.

As for the stadium . . . I think the fan base is where its at, today, because of the pretty darned BAD and darned BORING hockey they've played for the past 10-15 years. Win games, fill seats. Its a timeless equation even I (with my Laker Math Skills) can figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
                              I can't think of any reasons why spending money to make the stadium smaller makes any sense. If you're planning for the future and trying to send a message (especially to recruits) that the program is on the upswing, downsizing your arena is not going to improve your image.

Here are a few:

1. Create a better atmosphere for the fans - Last weekend with the #2 team in the country in town, attendance was under 2000 both nights. The fans were involved in the game, and it still felt dead. Even with students they wouldn't have broken 2500.

2. Same number of fans + smaller space = more noise and better home ice advantage.

3. Decrease supply, demand is static (or hopefully increased) and ticket price can be increased. Revenue is increased.

4. Instead of an arena that is 1/2 to 1/3 empty, recruits see a packed house of loud fans. Much more appealing. The extreme example of fans lost in an oversized venue is at OSU. Check it out this weekend - I will.

That's four, and I'm not even trying yet.

Thanks for the response.
                              Last edited by DB Cooper; 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Here are a few:

1. Create a better atmosphere for the fans - Last weekend with the #2 team in the country in town, attendance was under 2000 both nights. The fans were involved in the game, and it still felt dead. Even with students they wouldn't have broken 2500.

2. Same number of fans + smaller space = more noise and better home ice advantage.

3. Decrease supply, demand is static (or hopefully increased) and ticket price can be increased. Revenue is increased.

4. Instead of an arena that is 1/2 to 1/3 empty, recruits see a packed house of loud fans. Much more appealing. The extreme example of fans lost in an oversized venue is at OSU. Check it out this weekend - I will.

That's four, and I'm not even trying yet.

Thanks for the response.
                                I appreciate your argument. I agree that it would be nice to have a full house. I'm not sure the fans would be any louder, though, if you packed them closer together. Also, as a season ticket holder for a long time, I would not be willing to pay more for my tickets just because the arena is smaller.

Comment

Working...
                                X