This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2011-2012

Perhaps Ravn is just a victim of Kapalka's success. When you have a goalie like Kapalka that puts up numbers which rank him as one of the best in the CCHA as a freshman, it's hard to fault the coaches for playing him. I don't even recall Kapalka having consecutive poor outings, in which it might make sense to give the guy a break and throw the backup into the fold. I doubt Ravn's playing time has to do with something personal. Coaches love to win. They see these players EVERY day for a couple of hours a day. If someone could give the Lakers a better chance to win, he will find his way on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
      Perhaps Ravn is just a victim of Kapalka's success. When you have a goalie like Kapalka that puts up numbers which rank him as one of the best in the CCHA as a freshman, it's hard to fault the coaches for playing him. I don't even recall Kapalka having consecutive poor outings, in which it might make sense to give the guy a break and throw the backup into the fold. I doubt Ravn's playing time has to do with something personal. Coaches love to win. They see these players EVERY day for a couple of hours a day. If someone could give the Lakers a better chance to win, he will find his way on the ice.
      That's surely part of it and I don't fault Roque for playing Kapalka often as his #1 goalie. But for LSSU, with a small hockey budget, they normally make it pretty obvious to a #3 goalie coming in that he is in fact the projected #3 goalie and likely won't see much ice time barring injuries to one or both of the top two guys. I can't say for sure because I don't know the facts surrounding his recruitment, but I don't think Ravn was recruited as a #3 goalie, at least not initially. I think he was recruited as #1 or #2 goalie when he visited LSSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
        I also heard the team was fighting a nasty bug.

But here is what i don't understand about the world (well . . . lets be honest . . . this is ONE of the things about the world which I do not understand):

I know we tied Canisius, on the road. We took a win and a tie. And for this sin of getting a win and a tie on the road, we drop from 12th to 13th. And that is fair, I guess.

But now that Michigan State is ranked 20th, and Miami is ranked no suddenly 21 -- and these teams are moving up the charts and up the standings -- doesn't that make the Lakers accomplishments of sweeping these two teams more impressive, vis-a-vis the national rankings?

Just asking a stupid question, I know.

Well, I've said it all year, but this weekend is another HUGE weekend.
        I dont think the Lakers would have dropped if OSU would not have swept Michigan. OSU was ranked below the Lakers before that and was the only team that passed them.

Comment

Personal or not, it is very fishy for sure. As I've already written I was there when ravn was introduced to a professor as "may be the future Jakiatis" by roque himself.
          Not really a #3 profile (I checked his credentials). He was the only goalie to visit the school that year and spent two days on campus. I remember he said he was studying engineering in ottawa; I really don't think he was expecting the current situation.
          For sure Kapalka has done great, but has there been any competition ? Last summer 3dognight was looking forward to murdoch challenging kapalka which meant that ravn was out of the picture long before the season.

Comment

I don't believe there is anything fishy. I think Tyler was recruited but hasn't proven himself in juniors, he has one more year to do that. I am almost sure Ravn was informed of his status over the summer and Murdock wasn't a secret at that point. I can only guess what the coaches see at practices but Ravn was given some playing time in Canada last year and I don't believe he impressed anyone. Also when BMW and K2 were injured last year the coaching staff was most likely scrambling. Good thing it went the way it did. I also know they had a fourth goalie in the wings but that is when they went looking and I believe found Murdock. They had three solid goalies two of which got injured. This does occurr but is not common and obviously caused the situation. I am sure Ravn has checked around and made a decision based on himself especially this last summer. In fact I know he worked out with Steve M. and I believe he has to know his options. If K2 does leave then Ravn will be back in the competitive circle. As for this season barring injury it is K2 all the way...

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyintheblood View Post
              I don't believe there is anything fishy. I think Tyler was recruited but hasn't proven himself in juniors, he has one more year to do that. I am almost sure Ravn was informed of his status over the summer and Murdock wasn't a secret at that point. I can only guess what the coaches see at practices but Ravn was given some playing time in Canada last year and I don't believe he impressed anyone. Also when BMW and K2 were injured last year the coaching staff was most likely scrambling. Good thing it went the way it did. I also know they had a fourth goalie in the wings but that is when they went looking and I believe found Murdock. They had three solid goalies two of which got injured. This does occurr but is not common and obviously caused the situation. I am sure Ravn has checked around and made a decision based on himself especially this last summer. In fact I know he worked out with Steve M. and I believe he has to know his options. If K2 does leave then Ravn will be back in the competitive circle. As for this season barring injury it is K2 all the way...
              Things must being going pretty well for the Lakers if people are bickering about third string goalies.

Comment

Sorry I think Ravn is just a victim of circumstances of what happen and where he is as a player. No bickering on my part just pointing out that LSSU's goalie situation is awesome not bad considering the complexity of the position last year and that K2 hasn't really skipped a beat with the injury or surgery...My statements are all good. I also know there are some quality former goalies attending the school.. In fact there was a kid from the NAHL that wanted to play in the blue gold game and didn't which says to me that coach Roque sticks by his picks. That also says alot...

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyintheblood View Post
                  I have kept quiet because I don't want to be the party pooper when so many posters are celebrating the future coach of the year.
                  There is a probability rule saying that the longer you stay on the bottom the better are the chances that you surface for a while, and it always happens sooner or later.

I know that speculating, guessing and often being sure without actually having a clue is part of the game on a forum, but when it comes to making statements about a person, and one who is not know for being a bad or stupid person, I think some caution is required and it is better to ask.

While many people's enthusiasm is commensurate with the number of wins, I like a team as much as I like the people on it. I it sound a bit corny, but I like seeing real student on my team, and I a told that someone is working heard and having a great attitude, it goes against my values that the same person is fooled by those who are supposed the teach the values.
                  This is not about bickering about a third string goalie; my point is not only about ravn; that is just the way I see the it, and most team have a mission statement which says more or less the same (indeed, to have mission statement, you need to have some values). Is that ok with you ?

Frankly, I resent reading people saying about players "if they are not happy, they can go somewhere else and prove themselves". My opinion is that the coach has the right to make mistakes, but also has the duty to correct it, or to live with it.
                  May be you will have less wins, but then you just go and find a coach who makes less mistakes, or is better at addressing them properly. Cutting cornrs should not be accepted.

What most people seem to overlook is that ravn is one of the few being a real student i.e attending a demanding and consistent program (not a taylor made puzzle just to keep the guys busy and get better grades than they ever had before). He is studying engineering (roque says he is a great student for what it's worth) and it would be unwise for him to another place and scrap his studies for good now he know how risky the hockey environment can be.

I like seeing great players having a great academic background, not because of some stupid elitism, but because it is a bigger challenge than the be the best a video games outside the ice.

In an interview ravn said he was not here to be a practice goalie and roque confirmed (are you kidding, he was in Ottawa and is from Montreal, he culd be a practice goalie there).
                  Beside the ravn's former credentials and the fact that he was actually the only goalie who visited the school during the season 2009, I is noteworthy that Roque escapes any question about him (Crawford tried several times).

Now, I know that ravn was ignored throughout last year and was not informed about murdock before he was told by some teammates after the season, and I know that roque and metro were questionning players to find out whether he was returning this season, without asking him directly (actually, they should know since they made him drop studies to join the Lakers).
                  That really doesn't suggest a healthy environment and has a damaging effect on the whole team, specially if you consider that the teammates like him (the questioned teammates where very upset and embarassed). I find it pathetic, and that goes beyond ravn's problem. Are you with me ?

Whether he is living up to expectation on the ice is another story. It would be almost irrelevant in my opinion as the circumstances would probably affect the mental and performance of any player (when a coach is supposed to build trust and self confidence).
                  However, one reason why ravn made the trip to Alabama is because several key players considered that he had done better than murdock on most fields so far, that's it.
                  The only comment from roque about that is that he didn't bring murdock because he felt Murdock wasn’t competing hard enough in practice.
                  Why not just mention that ravn deserved it more ? That would be the normal attitude of someone who wants to keep his whole team equally motivated ...

I won't make any comment on how roque controls his network and assistant coaches, and how it goes when he considers that they do not serve his decisions properly.

That was just the thoughts of someone who sees beyond the number of wins. It is so cool when you can be proud of the people representing the school,and great when they are successful.
                  I hope there will be a few agreeing with me, and that the others won't feel offended.

Sorry for interrupting the party; don't worry, the circumstances are favorable and there will be a lot of more wins until the end of the (6 years) cycle.
                  Last edited by backbencher; 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I guess I see it as a non-issue. All NCAA programs, in every sport, have players who are recruited, promised playing time, promised stardom, and don't pan out. Some teams, Like North Dakota or Denver or Boston College, have kids playing on the 4th line, or not playing at all, who could probably be playing high-end minutes with another program. BC and North Dakota didn't recruit the kid to sit on the bench. They aren't giving up scholarship money for him to sit on the bench. It just so happens that either they did not, or haven't yet, made the transition to college-level sport. So this is why teams recruit more players than there is playing time available -- because not everyone makes the jump.

So LSSU is bringing in more than one goalie at a time? My answer is, "Good." Top programs have top recruits and top junior players sitting in the press box -- because the competition for every shift and every game is intense.

And lets be honest -- can anyone complain about Roque's goalie use this season?

In 1987 Ed Belfour player virtually every minute for North Dakota. Was the backup goalie that bad? Sometimes the starter is just really good.

Comment

Originally posted by backbencher View Post
                      I have kept quiet because I don't want to be the party pooper when so many posters are celebrating the future coach of the year.
                      There is a probability rule saying that the longer you stay on the bottom the better are the chances that you surface for a while, and it always happens sooner or later.

I know that speculating, guessing and often being sure without actually having a clue is part of the game on a forum, but when it comes to making statements about a person, and one who is not know for being a bad or stupid person, I think some caution is required and it is better to ask.

While many people's enthusiasm is commensurate with the number of wins, I like a team as much as I like the people on it. I it sound a bit corny, but I like seeing real student on my team, and I a told that someone is working heard and having a great attitude, it goes against my values that the same person is fooled by those who are supposed the teach the values.
                      This is not about bickering about a third string goalie; my point is not only about ravn; that is just the way I see the it, and most team have a mission statement which says more or less the same (indeed, to have mission statement, you need to have some values). Is that ok with you ?

Frankly, I resent reading people saying about players "if they are not happy, they can go somewhere else and prove themselves". My opinion is that the coach has the right to make mistakes, but also has the duty to correct it, or to live with it.
                      May be you will have less wins, but then you just go and find a coach who makes less mistakes, or is better at addressing them properly. Cutting cornrs should not be accepted.

What most people seem to overlook is that ravn is one of the few being a real student i.e attending a demanding and consistent program (not a taylor made puzzle just to keep the guys busy and get better grades than they ever had before). He is studying engineering (roque says he is a great student for what it's worth) and it would be unwise for him to another place and scrap his studies for good now he know how risky the hockey environment can be.

I like seeing great players having a great academic background, not because of some stupid elitism, but because it is a bigger challenge than the be the best a video games outside the ice.

In an interview ravn said he was not here to be a practice goalie and roque confirmed (are you kidding, he was in Ottawa and is from Montreal, he culd be a practice goalie there).
                      Beside the ravn's former credentials and the fact that he was actually the only goalie who visited the school during the season 2009, I is noteworthy that Roque escapes any question about him (Crawford tried several times).

Now, I know that ravn was ignored throughout last year and was not informed about murdock before he was told by some teammates after the season, and I know that roque and metro were questionning players to find out whether he was returning this season, without asking him directly (actually, they should know since they made him drop studies to join the Lakers).
                      That really doesn't suggest a healthy environment and has a damaging effect on the whole team, specially if you consider that the teammates like him (the questioned teammates where very upset and embarassed). I find it pathetic, and that goes beyond ravn's problem. Are you with me ?

Whether he is living up to expectation on the ice is another story. It would be almost irrelevant in my opinion as the circumstances would probably affect the mental and performance of any player (when a coach is supposed to build trust and self confidence).
                      However, one reason why ravn made the trip to Alabama is because several key players considered that he had done better than murdock on most fields so far, that's it.
                      The only comment from roque about that is that he didn't bring murdock because he felt Murdock wasn’t competing hard enough in practice.
                      Why not just mention that ravn deserved it more ? That would be the normal attitude of someone who wants to keep his whole team equally motivated ...

I won't make any comment on how roque controls his network and assistant coaches, and how it goes when he considers that they do not serve his decisions properly.

That was just the thoughts of someone who sees beyond the number of wins. It is so cool when you can be proud of the people representing the school,and great when they are successful.
                      I hope there will be a few agreeing with me, and that the others won't feel offended.

Sorry for interrupting the party; don't worry, the circumstances are favorable and there will be a lot of more wins until the end of the (6 years) cycle.

Really?

If there is a point here your trying to make, I missed it. Could you distill this a bit, as you may have a valid point buried within these multiple tangled threads. I'm tempted to try to make your point for you, but I might miss.

Comment

Just six points separate 4th-9th. If the Lakers get swept by both Notre Dame and Ohio State, we may be sitting in 9th place after the OSU series. I'll be be happy with split for both series. The real test starts this weekend, hope the Lakers are up to it.
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Here in Columbus we'll be wishing you luck this coming weekend but not quite so much the weekend after! lol!

Comment

Official news release is out on signing of Drapluk and Marble:

http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h..._2011_recruits

Comment

One has to wonder where do they come up with these refs. Do they even try to hold them to some kind of quality standards ? I wonder what it is they see when they look right at an infraction and call nothing ? It's just mind boggling. It's just one more reason to not miss the ccha in a couple years when we will be in the WCHA. Piotroski you and your jokers will not be missed at all.
                              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                                One has to wonder where do they come up with these refs. Do they even try to hold them to some kind of quality standards ? I wonder what it is they see when they look right at an infraction and call nothing ? It's just mind boggling. It's just one more reason to not miss the ccha in a couple years when we will be in the WCHA. Piotroski you and your jokers will not be missed at all.
                                I don't know if the refs had anything to do with it, maybe Notre Dame is just the better team? Better regroup tomorrow boys, a sweep would not bode well for the trip to Ohio State.

Comment

Working...
                                X