Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nescac 2011-2012

Originally posted by doncheery View Post
    Midd lost to Conn College last night??? Beany's squad is now sub .500?? Makes my day.
    Hey, don, I'm glad that you are so cheery, I'm supremely bummed. How can anyone delight in the decline of a powerhouse. The Norwich and Plattsburgh folks have enough class not to gloat, why not you?
    from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
      Hey, don, I'm glad that you are so cheery, I'm supremely bummed. How can anyone delight in the decline of a powerhouse. The Norwich and Plattsburgh folks have enough class not to gloat, why not you?
      I'm just totally stunned. The team I saw play NU at Kreitzberg is not the same team that I saw play Elmira and Plattsburgh in the Primelink. Something happened between then and now.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        I'm just totally stunned. The team I saw play NU at Kreitzberg is not the same team that I saw play Elmira and Plattsburgh in the Primelink. Something happened between then and now.
        I think both sides are to blame (anti-beaney and pro beaney)

When Middlebury came into the NCAA limelight in the mid-90s they brought not only a system but a style of play no one was use to seeing. Speed and a team built around defense. I know for a fact Plattsburgh had to change its recruiting style to keep up with Middlebury.

Middlebury (and we argued this for years) worked with the admissions department to get borderline students in. I still go back to the quote from the former Middlebury captain ...if it wasn't for hockey I couldn't have attended a college like Middlebury....I was told that the administration has sense put a much tighter grip on things these days..

Diluted hockey pool. Because Middlebury is who they are, they have a smaller pool of players to pick from. DIII hockey in todays state have so many programs that have taken the next step to be competitive. Teams have taken players that would have only gone to your top 5-10 teams and now are going to start up programs.

Back to Beaneys system. In order for it to work EVERYONE has to work as a team and buy into the system. With the lawsuit and all these vanishing players (you should have seen the shock on peoples faces when I told Middlebury fans BonDurant was no longer on the team) I think Beaney has lost control of his team. For a team that really took it to Elmira and played a decent game in a 0-0 tie against Plattsburgh should have gone up and forward not this downward spiral.

Having said all that calling for Beaneys head...a man thats brought Middlebury more NCAA titles then any DIII in NCAA history at a school/league where sports is seen as a good time I doubt you will see it. Middlebury and the NESCAC care more about their academic (dont get me wrong its not a bad thing) then a coach having a down year(s).

So in short, IMO, Beaney is only part of the issue but at a school like Middlebury I could see them being a .500 team and the admin saying "its okay, our student athletes are getting a great education"...

When we were talked to by Middlebury security a few weeks ago for cheering to loud a Middlebury fan came down and summed it up pretty good. In regards to being blowout 7-0...."we (Middlebury fans) don't know what to do"..
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

AAhhh are your feelings hurt sweetie? Tear stains on the pillow? Class?? Beany can"t spell the word. Not that you would know with your nose up his arse. It all comes around bro...and for Beany it just has. Works for me.
          "just another internet gangster"...PSUChamps

"you can only be as good as your coach will let you be" Ray Ferraro

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            I think both sides are to blame (anti-beaney and pro beaney)

When Middlebury came into the NCAA limelight in the mid-90s they brought not only a system but a style of play no one was use to seeing. Speed and a team built around defense. I know for a fact Plattsburgh had to change its recruiting style to keep up with Middlebury.

Middlebury (and we argued this for years) worked with the admissions department to get borderline students in. I still go back to the quote from the former Middlebury captain ...if it wasn't for hockey I couldn't have attended a college like Middlebury....I was told that the administration has sense put a much tighter grip on things these days..

Diluted hockey pool. Because Middlebury is who they are, they have a smaller pool of players to pick from. DIII hockey in todays state have so many programs that have taken the next step to be competitive. Teams have taken players that would have only gone to your top 5-10 teams and now are going to start up programs.

Back to Beaneys system. In order for it to work EVERYONE has to work as a team and buy into the system. With the lawsuit and all these vanishing players (you should have seen the shock on peoples faces when I told Middlebury fans BonDurant was no longer on the team) I think Beaney has lost control of his team. For a team that really took it to Elmira and played a decent game in a 0-0 tie against Plattsburgh should have gone up and forward not this downward spiral.

Having said all that calling for Beaneys head...a man thats brought Middlebury more NCAA titles then any DIII in NCAA history at a school/league where sports is seen as a good time I doubt you will see it. Middlebury and the NESCAC care more about their academic (dont get me wrong its not a bad thing) then a coach having a down year(s).

So in short, IMO, Beaney is only part of the issue but at a school like Middlebury I could see them being a .500 team and the admin saying "its okay, our student athletes are getting a great education"...

When we were talked to by Middlebury security a few weeks ago for cheering to loud a Middlebury fan came down and summed it up pretty good. In regards to being blowout 7-0...."we (Middlebury fans) don't know what to do"..
            IMO, very well said. I'll add that personally I dislike the arrogant attitude represented by the NESCAC administration, though I will acknowledge it is part of their "brand" and as such it is what it is - this is not necessarily an issue of the players and fans - sometimes you are the same as the company you keep - yet other times you are a victim of circumstance - myself, I do not begrudge the players and fans.

I also think you are spot on - Middlebury's "decline" is a cause and effect of their success - there is nowhere else to go from the top, and once you've earned the "target" everyone has their sights set, successful coaches like McShane and Emery (and others) will devise a solution and others will at least copy the solution and/or enhance it, but it will not be sustainable.

The comment "we (Middlebury fans) don't know what to do" might also reflect in Beaney, I have voluntarily left more than one management position because of my own success - I felt I had no more rabbits left in my hat. IMO, for his sake, I think he should consider moving on - but could Middlebury replace him - certainly anyone is "replaceable" but someone of his talent and skill would be a formable task, and someone with his success - impossible at this time - yes they broke the 4 minute mile - in large part because it became the target.

There is also the "facts" of the lawsuit - yet to be determined in a court of law - but if Beaney is found at fault, he and those who associate with him will have some deep soul searching to do - there is IMO no place for that extreme behavior in DIII sports.

Finally there is the "love them or hate them", like the Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Steelers, Packers, Dodgers, etc have shown winning doesn't always "create fans" - though I would argue it has to create some level of respect. That said, it is one thing to "hate to play a team" and another "to hate the team".

I hate the NESCAC brand, but I for the most part respect and sympathize with their players and fans. Lastly, your comment: "I could see them being a .500 team and the admin saying "its okay, our student athletes are getting a great education" might apply any other league - and it might at Middlebury - but it STRONGLY goes against the grain of their brand.
            Last edited by norm1909; 01-29-2012, 08:54 AM.
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Bowdoin's poor start has taken them off the radar in the USCHO.com poll...Amherst and Williams are carrying the mantle for now with better overall records.
              I absolutely agree. My comment was meant to suggest that the people who vote in these polls should do their homework and actually look at the results of games. So far Bowdoin has five out of possible six points against Amherst and Williams though, of course, this stellar record against top NESCAC teams will probably change this weekend as the Polar Bears have a game at Amherst. (Ok., it'll be five out of possible eight points...) The Lord Jeffs have displayed the best combination of offense and defense in the league, and are a sure bet to host the NESCAC tournament in a few weeks.

Comment

Well it looks like Middlebury may be turning it around, and getting back on track. I wasn't at the games but it sounded like freshman goaltender Dan Fullam is becoming more comfortable in net, and came up big several times this weekend.
                BUT what has happened to WILLIAMS?.... FIRE Kangas?

Comment

Well it looks like Middlebury may be turning it around, and getting back on track. I wasn't at the games but it sounded like freshman goaltender Dan Fullam is becoming more comfortable in net, and came up big several times this weekend.
                  BUT what has happened to WILLIAMS?.... FIRE Kangas?
                  Jimmy, I thought you moved to Northfield?
                  Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Hee Hee Hee, took me seriously eh?

Shaping up to be a great game on thursday, are you going?

Comment

Hee Hee Hee, took me seriously eh?

Shaping up to be a great game on thursday, are you going?
                      The two game series will earn one of the teams a leg up towards home ice in the NESCAC tournament. I will have to view both on video because of weekend commitments.
                      Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                        I hate the NESCAC brand.
                        Graduate/professional schools and prospective employers seem to disagree :-)

Comment

I'm late to the story here, I know.

I've just heard about the lawsuit at Midd and I have to comment here on it because I'm completely incredulous that a suit like this would be allowed to go forward. Having played in the NESCAC in the early 2000's, the very first thing we were always told was that playing college hockey was a PRIVILEGE, not a right and that privilege could be taken away at any time if we did something that reflected poorly on the team or the school. I just don't understand how a lawsuit can be filed for denying this kid the PRIVILEGE of playing hockey a Midd. My understanding of the legal system is that it is in place to protect our RIGHTS as humans, not PRIVILEGES we may be afforded. When I was in school we had several players removed from the team for much less reason than ditching a team banquet early, so I really just can't believe someone would think to sue after being dismissed from a team for breaking a team rule. The whole thing just reeks of the current entitlement attitude prevalent in today's society.
                          Last edited by shooter27; 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter27 View Post
                            I'm late to the story here, I know.
                            . .
                            When I was in school we had several players removed from the team for much less reason than ditching a team banquet early, so I really just can't believe someone would think to sue after being dismissed from a team for breaking a team rule. The whole thing just reeks of the current entitlement attitude prevalent in today's society.
                            What team rule????? Don't believe that the dismissed player actually broke any team rules.

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                              What team rule????? Don't believe that the dismissed player actually broke any team rules.
                              Generally (and I can't speak specifically for Midd, so I am making a supposition here) team rules include mandatory attendance at any and all team functions and being absent from those functions or leaving those functions early requires permission from the coach. So, based on the supposition that Midd's team rules include this, he broke a team rule by leaving the banquet early without permission (at least that's my understanding of what happened). Obviously, many people will say, that dismissing him from the team may be a bit harsh for breaking this particular rule, but some teams have a policy that consists of, "If you break a team rule, you're out, end of story."

In any case, the main point remains that playing hockey at any school is a privilege, not a right, and the legal system shouldn't be wasting its time on suits of people who had privileges taken away. There are fare more important things for the legal system to adjudicate, like people having their actual rights infringed upon every day.
                              Last edited by shooter27; 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter27 View Post
                                Generally (and I can't speak specifically for Midd, so I am making a supposition here) team rules include mandatory attendance at any and all team functions and being absent from those functions or leaving those functions early requires permission from the coach. So, based on the supposition that Midd's team rules include this, he broke a team rule by leaving the banquet early without permission (at least that's my understanding of what happened). . .
                                Nope -- Middlebury has made no claim that a team rule was violated.

Comment

Working...
                                X