Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    IF we assume that Maine and Cornell are 1 or 2 and that Denver, North Dakota and Northern Michigan are 3,4 or 5, there are 12 possibilities and 7 possible winners: css228 (16.6%), siouxfaninseattle (16.6%), dwollstadt (16.6%), bumpreader (16.6%), spartanforlife4 (16.6%), Moxie Girl (8.3%), Shirtless Guy (8.3%).
    What about statehockey? With 5 of the top 5 picked, if they are in the correct order, wouldn't he/she have a shot?
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
      What about statehockey? With 5 of the top 5 picked, if they are in the correct order, wouldn't he/she have a shot?
      of course, but that ignores my assumption: Maine & Cornell at 1 or 2.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Got it.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption.
            All but 3 that appear to still be in the running made that assumption, but statehockey has the '87 North Dakota team picked first. Hmmm......

Comment

After what FS23 just said I'm now waiting for Cornell to be ranked #5 because they played Canadian teams... smh

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
                After what FS23 just said I'm now waiting for Cornell to be ranked #5 because they played Canadian teams... smh
                Do you really think a North Dakota fan would look down on playing Canadian Teams!

EDIT:

You may be interested that currently, Cornell has two other squads in the top 100.

1967-1968 Cornell is currently #32.
                2002-2003 Cornell is currently #54.

More than likely both those squads will stay in the top 100 through this season.

The next closest Cornell squad is the 1971-1972 squad which is currently #120.
                Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
                  I hope not - we both have Cornell #1 and Maine #2 - after that we have a little disagreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Do you really think a North Dakota fan would look down on playing Canadian Teams!

EDIT:

You may be interested that currently, Cornell has two other squads in the top 100.

1967-1968 Cornell is currently #32.
                    2002-2003 Cornell is currently #54.

More than likely both those squads will stay in the top 100 through this season.

The next closest Cornell squad is the 1971-1972 squad which is currently #120.
                    I was just joking. However, that's amazing. I didn't think the '03 squad would be ranked that highly.

Comment

How about BU 1971-72?
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        How about BU 1971-72?
                        '71-'72 BU is currently 77th.
                        North Dakota

Comment

When I am tasked to write a formula, often I will double-check it by running it backwards to make sure it is working as expected: if I need to calculate a net present value, for example, I will take my result and the discount rate and then run a future value calculation to make sure I wind up with the same value as I started with. If there is a discrepancy, then I know that I have to fix something in my formula.

I wonder if some of that kind of reverse testing was done here? If Maine and Cornell are not # 1 and # 2, in some order, might that indicate a subtle flaw in the formula?
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Meanwhile, while asking where certain teams ranked who did not make the top 25, what about 48'-49' Boston College, and '53-'54 Rensselaer?
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              When I am tasked to write a formula, often I will double-check it by running it backwards to make sure it is working as expected: if I need to calculate a net present value, for example, I will take my result and the discount rate and then run a future value calculation to make sure I wind up with the same value as I started with. If there is a discrepancy, then I know that I have to fix something in my formula.

I wonder if some of that kind of reverse testing was done here? If Maine and Cornell are not # 1 and # 2, in some order, might that indicate a subtle flaw in the formula?
                              Perhaps. Again though, there was no preconceived notion that Maine and Cornell SHOULD be #1 and #2 in some order. FWIW, I think each of the 5 teams have legitimate arguments as to why they should be #1. Obviously, some arguments are better than others. Ultimately though, it all came down to the formula.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see how it shakes out on Sunday. That being said, there has been talk about releasing #5 on Friday, then #4 on Saturday, all leading up to a countdown on Sunday where #3 is released in the morning, followed by #2 and #1 being released Sunday evening. Plus, CHW will be releasing their next big thing, which I do not even know of at this time, sometime in between #3 and #s 2/1.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                Meanwhile, while asking where certain teams ranked who did not make the top 25, what about 48'-49' Boston College, and '53-'54 Rensselaer?
                                The 1948-1949 Boston College Team is currently #31 (w/186.3212 points, just about 1 point away from top 25).
                                The 1953-1954 Rensselaer squad is currently #151.

You may also be interested that the 1983-1984 RPI team is currently #110.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X