X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

As promised, #8 has been released...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/Greatest-Teams.html

Here is the link to the contest leaderboard...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/Leaderboard.html
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

At this rate, I may finish without any correct placements!
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
        At this rate, I may finish without any correct placements!
        FWIW, this is a VERY difficult contest, given that you only knew 15 teams out of theoretically thousands (realistically probably 40-50 teams). Given that a few people got as many as 9 correct, I was a little surprised.
        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Given that a few people got as many as 9 correct, I was a little surprised.
          I guess we will see whether having 9 correct but "too far" away from the correct order to get 0 bonus points will be worth more than getting fewer correct while being more accurate with their placement on the list.

Not sure how I feel about the fact that if you miss the placement by more than one spot you only get three points. Someone could get nine teams right while someone else could get two teams right yet the latter person could win the contest if they picked those two teams in exactly the right spots.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            I guess we will see whether having 9 correct but "too far" away from the correct order to get 0 bonus points will be worth more than getting fewer correct while being more accurate with their placement on the list.

Not sure how I feel about the fact that if you miss the placement by more than one spot you only get three points. Someone could get nine teams right while someone else could get two teams right yet the latter person could win the contest if they picked those two teams in exactly the right spots.
            I thought about that as well, and suggested to CHW that what they should have done is given points by the ratio of...

(1/1+(number of spots away from the actual position))*point value of position

It was not received well.
            North Dakota

Comment

I thought about that as well, and suggested to CHW that what they should have done is given points by the ratio of...

(1/1+(number of spots away from the actual position))*point value of position

It was not received well.
              that's exactly the system they are using, isn't it?....if you miss by one spot you get half of the point value....only they don't extend it any further.

inane.

Maybe they were deterred by it being a formula instead of plain words that describe the outcome...some people just have irrational phobias when they see notation

miss by one spot, get half.

miss by two spots, get 1/3

miss by three spots, get 1/4.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

that's exactly the system they are using, isn't it?....if you miss by one spot you get half of the point value....only they don't extend it any further.

inane.

Maybe they were deterred by it being a formula instead of plain words that describe the outcome...some people just have irrational phobias when they see notation

miss by one spot, get half.

miss by two spots, get 1/3

miss by three spots, get 1/4.
                I believe they are going by 1/3 of the point value for the actual position. So, if you had the #9 team ranked 10th, you would receive 1.667 points (1/3*5). Similarly, if you have the #2 team ranked 1st, you would receive 20 points (1/3*60). If you ranked the #2 team 4th, you would receive nothing (other than the 3 points for correctly having that team in the top 10).

At this point, I don't believe they can change it (nor do I think they want to), as the rules stated that changes could only be made to the scoring up until January 1st. FWIW, I have no idea if it would make a difference in who would ultimately win the contest, but you are more than welcome to calculate (I may be inclined to help as well) the points using a different formula.
                North Dakota

Comment

you are more than welcome to calculate ... the points using a different formula.
                  Perhaps I will, once it is over. We could use your method, which I like, or an alternate method, which at first glance I would like even more. My level of motivation probably will depend upon the final outcome.

Comment

Perhaps I will, once it is over. We could use your method, which I like, or an alternate method, which at first glance I would like even more. My level of motivation probably will depend upon the final outcome.
                    Do you mean that RPI '85 finishing at #8 wasn't motivation?

FS23. Just curious. Did the tie vs. LSSU hurt? There really wasn't much motivation to win the 2nd game of a two-game total goal series with the first game won big.
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

FS23. Just curious. Did the tie vs. LSSU hurt? There really wasn't much motivation to win the 2nd game of a two-game total goal series with the first game won big.
                      The tie did not do much either way really, as it was an NCAA Tourney game. Had the ECAC been slightly stronger that season, that could have helped point wise, but probably not overall ranking wise. But no, the tie didn't hurt.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I meant something else entirely!

Comment

I forgot the point totals for each correct place, and it is not listed on the CHW website as far as I can tell.

You mentioned that 10th was 5 points and 2nd was 60 points....would you mind refreshing my memory again on the point totals per place?

Maybe I will noodle around with alternate scoring after all....if we get snowed in or something.

Comment

I forgot the point totals for each correct place, and it is not listed on the CHW website as far as I can tell.

You mentioned that 10th was 5 points and 2nd was 60 points....would you mind refreshing my memory again on the point totals per place?

Maybe I will noodle around with alternate scoring after all....if we get snowed in or something.
                            10th place = 5 points
                            9th place = 5 points
                            8th place = 15 points
                            7th place = 15 points
                            6th place = 25 points
                            5th place = 25 points
                            4th place = 35 points
                            3rd place = 45 points
                            2nd place = 60 points
                            1st place = 90 points

Then obviously 3 points for having a team correctly in your top 10.

The highest score that anyone could have had was 350 points.
                            North Dakota

Comment

10th place = 5 points
                              9th place = 5 points
                              8th place = 15 points
                              7th place = 15 points
                              6th place = 25 points
                              5th place = 25 points
                              4th place = 35 points
                              3rd place = 45 points
                              2nd place = 60 points
                              1st place = 90 points

Then obviously 3 points for having a team correctly in your top 10..
                              wow, the weighting of this scoring system is way out of balance. You know it too.

so it goes. at least the "1/3 credit if off only by one" scoring means that, if one merely has 1st and 2nd transposed, they still get 50 points out of it...

On the other hand, .... imagine that someone gets the top three right. 1 - 2 - 3 you get 195 points*... but guess 3 - 2 - 1 and you get 60 points*? that is way too lopsided for such a relatively trivial difference, especially if the point total your formula spits out is within 0.85 among them....

* plus the 9 points for picking a team on the list.

Comment

PS. Now I like your proposed scoring even better...I'd have 10.25 points instead of 6....hmm....maybe I will check the others after all, we'll see.....

Correction: 10 points not 10.25.
                                Last edited by FreshFish; 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X