The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

I've also found a lot of references to "Brock Hall Dairy" in my research, and the team from that article is referred to as the "Dairyman[.]" It obviously isn't smoking gun proof, but it seems to indicate that "Brock Hall" was an amateur team sponsored by Brock Hall Dairy.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      I've also found a lot of references to "Brock Hall Dairy" in my research, and the team from that article is referred to as the "Dairyman[.]" It obviously isn't smoking gun proof, but it seems to indicate that "Brock Hall" was an amateur team sponsored by Brock Hall Dairy.
      There were A LOT of "amateur" teams back in those days, and major universities played them because there weren't as many universities with teams and some of those "amateur" teams were considered amonst the best teams in the country/world. The Gophers also played a number of Canadian "amateur" teams back in those days.

Comment

23, just curious what the formula is?

Frozen 4 appearances. NCAA titles, Conf banners? etc

Comment

“The University of Minnesota hockey team will play a game for the championship of Minneapolis against the Minneapolis Hockey Club at their rink, at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Eleventh Street South.* The game is preparatory to the game to be played Monday afternoon by Winnipeg and the University of Minnesota.* Winnipeg is champion of the world.* Winnipeg has returned from a rough trip through eastern Canada and has defeated without too much trouble Montréal, Toronto, Victoria, Ottawa, Québec, and the Limestone’s.* The University started practice two or three weeks ago and played against a Minneapolis team, being defeated 4-1. A week and one half ago that they defeated the same team 6-4.* Tonight they play the tie off for the championship.* Dr. H.A. Parkyn has been coaching the boys every afternoon.* He has a couple of stars in Willis Walker and Russell.* Walker plays point and Russell cover-point, with Van Campen in goal. Parkyn and Albert are center forwards. Dr. Parkyn’s long experience with the Victoria team of Toronto, one of the best, makes him a fine player.* Thompson and Head, the other two forwards, are old ice polo players and skate fast and pass well. Van Campen, quarterback on last year's football team, plays goal well.*
          Many tickets have been sold for tonight’s and also Monday's game. Tickets are $.25, ladies come free. The excitement of these games is intense, and surpasses that at a football game.”

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/MNGophers.html
          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-18-2011, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            There were A LOT of "amateur" teams back in those days, and major universities played them because there weren't as many universities with teams and some of those "amateur" teams were considered amonst the best teams in the country/world. The Gophers also played a number of Canadian "amateur" teams back in those days.
            I'm fully aware of the significance of amateur hockey back in this time period. What's interesting, is that there were arguably just as many universities playing college hockey as there are today, but obviously travel/distance was perhaps the biggest obstacle to why the schools didn't get to play as much. I'm not sure which amateur teams were amongst "the best teams in the country/world". The Dairymen got "slaughtered" by Yale, and then eventually by Minnesota as well. It doesn't look like the 1940 AAU Championship Tournament featured very good squads. That is not meant to take anything away from the 1940 Gophers as they were a great squad, but it does pose serious questions as to the prestige of the AAU Tournament from 1940.
            North Dakota

Comment

I'm fully aware of the significance of amateur hockey back in this time period. What's interesting, is that there were arguably just as many universities playing college hockey as there are today, but obviously travel/distance was perhaps the biggest obstacle to why the schools didn't get to play as much. I'm not sure which amateur teams were amongst "the best teams in the country/world". The Dairymen got "slaughtered" by Yale, and then eventually by Minnesota as well. It doesn't look like the 1940 AAU Championship Tournament featured very good squads. That is not meant to take anything away from the 1940 Gophers as they were a great squad, but it does pose serious questions as to the prestige of the AAU Tournament from 1940.
              There were many. Eveleth's hockey club was probably the most famous. In the early days, they would pick one of these "club" teams to represent the US in the Olympics, and the US won a lot of medals doing so. Check out that site I've been referencing. Lots of cool info there.

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                23, just curious what the formula is?

Frozen 4 appearances. NCAA titles, Conf banners? etc
                If you read through the thread, I discuss a lot of the factors that make up the formula. On a very basic level, it takes conference accomplishments in relation to their conference strength, plus national accomplishments, plus how dominant the team was throughout the year. There is also a slight tweak to put older teams on par with recent teams.
                North Dakota

Comment

There were many. Eveleth's hockey club was probably the most famous. In the early days, they would pick one of these "club" teams to represent the US in the Olympics, and the US won a lot of medals doing so. Check out that site I've been referencing. Lots of cool info there.
                  I don't know if you know this or not, but I have done extensive research on the history of college hockey, so I am pretty familiar with that site.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    There is no way possible to judge SOS etc accurately 70yrs later. It was tournament play all teams had equal opportunity to win the Championship. Has the sport changed and level of play changed, absolutely.. A championship is a championship.

Consider this.

If the NCAA era ended today:
                    Would all League Championships mean less because of that?
                    In 70yrs would there be founded, unfounded, accurate or inaccurate debate over SOS? How does this arguemnt end? One word, and the only one that matters, "championship"..

I get a real kick out of having this discussion/debate with the WI sports fan (not you obviously). The vast majority convieniently have counting to 13 down pat but can't count to 6 (or refuse to). They flat out refuse to aknowledge the gopher football program (however pathetic they may be) has 6 more championships than the Badgers, but will throw the "axe" around like pro's, and many are convieniently Twins fans?!?!

Bottom line, a championship is a championship, and the only legit argument here is wether or not to give the Gophs the "hook" for 29' (hook is a 1/2) shared championship via polls with Yale.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to let Mariucci and JDUBB chime in on what started out as me making a joke about Cornells 66-67 schedule.

/Thread derailed
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I don't know if you know this or not, but I have done extensive research on the history of college hockey, so I am pretty familiar with that site.
                        I'm sure you have. But if you don't think some of these "amateur" teams were competitive, you may need to research a little more. For a guy who likes hockey history, you're a little defensive when it comes to discussing it.

In other words, you aren't the only hockey history buff on this forum

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Sorry, I didn't mean to let Mariucci and JDUBB chime in on what started out as me making a joke about Cornells 66-67 schedule.

/Thread derailed
                          Sorry for having an opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                            Apology accepted, this time.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

/Thread derailed
                              Championship debate going and I replied with my opinion, if that "upsets" you I really couldn't care less. And I wanted to know more about 23's formula, so I asked...

Unless of course your question has more.

Comment

Having an opinion is great. But i've read it 175 times. I think once was enough.

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                                Championship debate going and I replied with my opinion, if that "upsets" you I really couldn't care less. And I wanted to know more about 23's formula, so I asked...

Unless of course your question has more.
                                Yes, your reply clearly indicates your level of caring.

Again, i think everyone knows where you two stand on the issue. It's not really a debate since I doubt either of you have ever conceded a point to the other side of the debate. Its more like two sides reiterating their points and ignoring the fact that the other person is speaking.
                                Last edited by JF_Gophers; 11-18-2011, 01:16 PM.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X