The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

I see that # 17 has posted. It will be interesting to see where the over/under line for the number of programs with a team in the top 25 breaks.

No takers yet on a line set at 10.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      I see that # 17 has posted. It will be interesting to see where the over/under line for the number of programs with a team in the top 25 breaks.

How much would you like to bet?
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Yeah, 5 was just a pure guess without looking at it statistically. Given that, it's important to remember these are the best of the best. When you think that over the past 60+ years of NCAA era hockey there have been probably in the neighborhood of 3-4,000 teams, you are looking at the top half percent of all the teams that have played in the era.
        uhm, how do you even get to your list without a direct link?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          uhm, how do you even get to your list without a direct link?
          college hockey weekly (dot) com
          Archives
          FS23's Greatest Teams of All-Time

Yea. Not the most straightforward method of all time.
          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Already 5 teams on the list and it doesn't include a lot of historically good programs. So i'd imagine it does go over 10.

Maine, Colorado College, Denver, Michigan Tech, Wisconsin for example.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
              college hockey weekly (dot) com
              Archives
              FS23's Greatest Teams of All-Time

Yea. Not the most straightforward method of all time.
              Yeah, being in the archives for a currently unveiling list is not exactly intuitive
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                Yeah, being in the archives for a currently unveiling list is not exactly intuitive
                Who runs College Hockey Weekly? It looks like they could use a little help in jumpstarting the look of the site.
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Hmm. 5 teams shown already with RPI, Cornell, MTU, LSSU, and Maine all pretty much guaranteed at least one team in the last 16.

I'll take the over.
                  Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                    Who runs College Hockey Weekly? It looks like they could use a little help in jumpstarting the look of the site.
                    The guy who is doing the website stuff is doing it for free. They have a severely limited budget. It definitely is a little plain.
                    North Dakota

Comment

you did not specify which way, my inference would be to take the over however.

EDIT: or i could do like the pros do, and re-set the line if the "action" is too heavy on one side or the other.

Hmm....a line of 11.5 perhaps?

There are five on the list already, and five more seem pretty solid. Toss in one more due to my lack of knowledge. Then I'll perch on the fence.
                      Last edited by FreshFish; 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

you did not specify which way, my inference would be to take the over however.
                        Or maybe I've just been playing a trick on everyone and teams #1-16 are all North Dakota teams?
                        North Dakota

Comment

I'm gonna have to go with the over because these teams should all be on your list and if they're not, your calc is flawed:
                          Code:
                          Year	University	W	L	T	W%
                          1960-61	Denver U.	30	1	1	0.953
                          1961-62	Mich Tech 	29	3	0	0.906
                          1969-70	Cornell U.	29	0	0	1.000
                          1976-77	Wisconsin 	37	7	1	0.833
                          1984-85	Rensselaer	35	2	1	0.934
                          1986-87	N. Dakota 	40	8	0	0.833
                          1988-89	Harvard U.	31	3	0	0.912
                          1989-90	Wisconsin 	36	9	1	0.793
                          1990-91	N. Michigan	38	5	4	0.851
                          1992-93	Maine U.	42	1	2	0.956
                          1996-97	N. Dakota 	31	10	2	0.744
                          2004-05	Denver U.	32	9	2	0.767
                          2008-09	Boston U.	35	6	4	0.822
                          All of those teams won their regular season title, conference tournament title and the NCAA championship, not to mention at least a .767 winning percentage
                          Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            I'm gonna have to go with the over because these teams should all be on your list and if they're not, your calc is flawed:
                            Code:
                            Year	University	W	L	T	W%
                            1960-61	Denver U.	30	1	1	0.953
                            1961-62	Mich Tech 	29	3	0	0.906
                            1969-70	Cornell U.	29	0	0	1.000
                            1976-77	Wisconsin 	37	7	1	0.833
                            1984-85	Rensselaer	35	2	1	0.934
                            1986-87	N. Dakota 	40	8	0	0.833
                            1988-89	Harvard U.	31	3	0	0.912
                            1989-90	Wisconsin 	36	9	1	0.793
                            1990-91	N. Michigan	38	5	4	0.851
                            1992-93	Maine U.	42	1	2	0.956
                            1996-97	N. Dakota 	31	10	2	0.744
                            2004-05	Denver U.	32	9	2	0.767
                            2008-09	Boston U.	35	6	4	0.822
                            All of those teams won their regular season title, conference tournament title and the NCAA championship, not to mention at least a .767 winning percentage
                            Well, we already know one of those teams didn't make it... (88-89 Harvard)

Also, that is false. Said spoilered team did not win their conference tournament.
                            Go Red!!

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                              Well, we already know one of those teams didn't make it... (88-89 Harvard)
                              There are a couple others from that list as well that didn't. Apparently I have a flawed calculation.
                              North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                That's arguably the best Gopher team ever and they came in at 18. I'd be very surprised if another Gopher team shows up.
                                The 1975 team was pretty good too. They would have to be in that conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X