Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Not sure if they were 4th on average PWR.
    That's where you should start.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      That's where you should start.
      Start with a flawed system? I'll pass. Plus, it does not factor in NCAA Tournament performance.

Under KRACH, the numbers are very close between #2-4. The average teams are as follows:

NCHC: 321.8125
      Hockey East: 181.3917
      B1G: 178.1167
      ECAC: 163.9167

Given how tight the numbers are between #2-4, I believe it's fair to use NCAA Tournament results to sort of "break the tie." But, if you really want to argue that the B1G is the third best conference despite no top end teams and an abysmal NCAA Tournament performance, KRACH would support an argument that the average B1G team is slightly better than the average ECAC team.

On a slightly unrelated note, it is really impressive to see that the average NCHC team is essentially a top 6-7 team in the country. I think Harvard will challenge Duluth, and if they get that far, Denver, but hard to argue with the strength of the NCHC this season. Of course, now that I say that, Notre Dame will waltz to the national title.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Tacking on results from a one and done means far less to me when analyzing the growth of a brand new conference that includes a brand new program. No I'm not here to argue, "Yeah, we're #3!" that's not the point is it? Fact is the conference is gaining strength heading into year 5 and that's most important to me as a fan of the conference. If people find it necessary to belittle it now hey whatever floats their boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Tacking on results from a one and done means far less to me when analyzing the growth of a brand new conference that includes a brand new program. No I'm not here to argue, "Yeah, we're #3!" that's not the point is it? Fact is the conference is gaining strength heading into year 5 and that's most important to me as a fan of the conference. If people find it necessary to belittle it now hey whatever floats their boat.
          To be fair, I fully agreed with you that the B1G is improving, and, with the addition of Notre Dame, should be a better conference next season. With the history/size/budget/prestige/investment of the B1G programs, I don't think anyone felt the conference would struggle long term. I think most people are surprised that the B1G has struggled to the extent it has in its first four years.
          North Dakota

Comment

With its win yesterday, Duluth set an NCAA record with its 16th win over an NCAA Tournament team this season.

Given how strong both Duluth and Denver have been this year, whoever wins on Saturday will likely flirt with cracking the Top 10. Heck, even the loser will likely finish around the Top 25. To put that in perspective...only 1 season in the NCAA Tournament Era features 2 teams in the Top 25: 1955-1956 (Clarkson (#17) and Michigan (#23)). Whoever wins on Saturday will definitely have earned it.
            North Dakota

Comment

To be fair, I fully agreed with you that the B1G is improving, and, with the addition of Notre Dame, should be a better conference next season. With the history/size/budget/prestige/investment of the B1G programs, I don't think anyone felt the conference would struggle long term. I think most people are surprised that the B1G has struggled to the extent it has in its first four years.
              IMO, part of the problem the casual fans of the schools are not interested as much anymore in college hockey if we look at the attendance of all five WCHA/CCHA schools they are way down. Almost every Big Ten game seems to be half empty in years past the fans would have been furious if their schools were not winning but today apathy. This does not bode well for the college game if the Big Ten becomes more disinterested or worse putting less money into their programs it could change the landscape of college hockey forever.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                IMO, part of the problem the casual fans of the schools are not interested as much anymore in college hockey if we look at the attendance of all five WCHA/CCHA schools they are way down. Almost every Big Ten game seems to be half empty in years past the fans would have been furious if their schools were not winning but today apathy. This does not bode well for the college game if the Big Ten becomes more disinterested or worse putting less money into their programs it could change the landscape of college hockey forever.
                Fortunately, there are other conferences than the B1G.

FWIW, when conference realignment happened, no conference changed the way that the B1G did. It also doesn't help that Michigan has been on the decline, Wisconsin really struggled for a couple years, and Michigan State is in shambles. If the B1G programs hope to get back somewhat close to where they were pre-realignment, those three schools need to get better products on the ice. Having Minnesota dominate the conference and then embarrass it in the NCAA Tournament isn't a recipe for fans to get excited and back in the seats.
                North Dakota

Comment

Fortunately, there are other conferences than the B1G.

FWIW, when conference realignment happened, no conference changed the way that the B1G did. It also doesn't help that Michigan has been on the decline, Wisconsin really struggled for a couple years, and Michigan State is in shambles. If the B1G programs hope to get back somewhat close to where they were pre-realignment, those three schools need to get better products on the ice. Having Minnesota dominate the conference and then embarrass it in the NCAA Tournament isn't a recipe for fans to get excited and back in the seats.
                  Embarrass is a pretty strong word.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Embarrass is a pretty strong word.
                    That it is. For a program that thinks as much of itself as Minnesota, to either not make the NCAA Tournament or lose in the first round the last three seasons is pretty embarrassing.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Almost every Big Ten game seems to be half empty...
                      They do?

Comment

Almost every Big Ten game seems to be half empty
                        3 of the Top 5, and 6 of the Top 13 in total attendance were Big Ten teams.
                        http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendanc...men/2016-2017/
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Quite a consistent doom and gloom post. Are you always this negative? Couldn't disagree more on the future of Big Ten hockey. I think the future looks pretty good at this point. After 62 years in the WCHA, many Gopher fans needed time to lament their departure in 2013. That's human nature for devoted sports fans in general when major changes emerge. I think you should check attendance data first for accuracy.

Comment

With its win yesterday, Duluth set an NCAA record with its 16th win over an NCAA Tournament team this season.

Given how strong both Duluth and Denver have been this year, whoever wins on Saturday will likely flirt with cracking the Top 10. Heck, even the loser will likely finish around the Top 25. To put that in perspective...only 1 season in the NCAA Tournament Era features 2 teams in the Top 25: 1955-1956 (Clarkson (#17) and Michigan (#23)). Whoever wins on Saturday will definitely have earned it.
                            I'm intrigued to see where this UMD team stacks up to other UMD teams. I'd say it's second to the 84 team which had a higher winning percentage in more games, obviously the best team Sandelin has put together.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              I'm intrigued to see where this UMD team stacks up to other UMD teams. I'd say it's second to the 84 team which had a higher winning percentage in more games, obviously the best team Sandelin has put together.
                              I'm almost done doing the triple-double check for these numbers, but I'm fairly certain that this season's UMD squad will come in above both the 1983-1984 and 1984-1985 squads and be the best Duluth squad in its history. The 2016-2017 Bulldogs played 23 of its 42 games against NCAA Tournament teams...and won 16 of those. They were never out of a game, losing only two games by two or more goals (including a game where Western scored 2 ENGs). Unfortunately for Duluth, they played in a season with Denver, who put together an even better season.
                              North Dakota

Comment

I have a favor...not including the 2016-17 season, can I get a summary of the top 25 teams all-time? struggling to find it in this thread.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X