The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

As some of you may or may not know, I had developed a formula to rank teams from an individual season, and applied it to all of the national champions from the NCAA era, along with several great teams that came up just short of winning it all. There was a thread, but after minimal research, I could not find it. Anyway, in my old list I had separated the teams in different eras. I have since come up with a tweak that puts older teams on a more level playing field with new teams. Applying that tweak, and incorporating all of the NCAA title winning teams AND the great, but never ncaa title winning teams from the NCAA Tournament era (1947-present). I will be releasing this list on College Hockey Weekly's website, with #25 being published at some point today. I thought I would post a thread here for discussion, and fun reminiscing about great teams from years past. Also, when #25 is up and running, I'll place the direct link here, as I'm not sure exactly where they'll put this particular portion on the website.

Thanks, and enjoy...
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    As some of you may or may not know, I had developed a formula to rank teams from an individual season, and applied it to all of the national champions from the NCAA era, along with several great teams that came up just short of winning it all. There was a thread, but after minimal research, I could not find it. Anyway, in my old list I had separated the teams in different eras. I have since come up with a tweak that puts older teams on a more level playing field with new teams. Applying that tweak, and incorporating all of the NCAA title winning teams AND the great, but never ncaa title winning teams from the NCAA Tournament era (1947-present). I will be releasing this list on College Hockey Weekly's website, with #25 being published at some point today. I thought I would post a thread here for discussion, and fun reminiscing about great teams from years past. Also, when #25 is up and running, I'll place the direct link here, as I'm not sure exactly where they'll put this particular portion on the website.

Thanks, and enjoy...
    All threads older than two years went poof a while back.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      All threads older than two years went poof a while back.
      That would explain it then. Fortunately, I still have all my information
      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Thanks, and enjoy...
        Sound great!! I have so enjoyed these rankings in the past!! I expect Denver to be way up there baby!!
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          Sound great!! I have so enjoyed these rankings in the past!! I expect Denver to be way up there baby!!
          I hope you enjoy it. Denver has certainly had some great teams. The goal will be to do anywhere from 1-3 per week. I've sent everything in for #25, so I'll post the link here when it gets put up.
          North Dakota

Comment

alright, looks like it is up and running...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/Greatest-Teams.html

That's the main page, accessible through the Archives page. Scroll down the page to see the #25 team, and click on the team to see the write up.
            North Dakota

Comment

FS23 - Some great stuff!
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                FS23 - Some great stuff!
                Thank you. It has been a fun project to work on.
                North Dakota

Comment

Love it FS23, always fun to read about some of the great teams in College Hockey.

Comment

I can probably guess who #1 will be.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                      Love it FS23, always fun to read about some of the great teams in College Hockey.
                      Yeah, it's a lot of fun doing the research and finding out crazy things that happened from some of the games. For example, in the first title game ever in '48, Michigan was playing Dartmouth. Towards the end of the 2nd period, with Dartmouth up 4-3, Michigan thought they scored the tying goal. It was waived off by the officials, and the period ended with Dartmouth winning 4-3. However, the officials discussed the play over the intermission, and when the Indians (Dartmouth was called the Indians up until the late 60's or early 70's I believe) took the ice in the third, they realized the game was now tied. The officials decided to count the goal in between periods, and it threw Dartmouth off their game, and Michigan scored four times in the third and won the first title 8-4. I can't imagine what people would do if something like that happened now.

Also, it was around this same time that the NFL was debating about taking away the extra point after a touchdown to combat gambling issues and point fixing, and adding Overtime to decide tied games. Overtime was adopted, but they kept the extra point.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                        I can probably guess who #1 will be.
                        It's got to be Maine, 1992-93

42-1-1, I think.
                        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

42-1-1, I think.
                          42-1-2

There are 10 teams in the top 25 that lost 2 or fewer games. We'll see what happens!
                          North Dakota

Comment

Love the topic! Will be fun to see how you unfold the rest of the list
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I can't recall for sure whether they were on top when the first list came out (so I get to be surprised again!), but c'mon - they only won 93% of their games. If they were on top before, hopefully FS23's "tweak that puts older teams on a more level playing field with new teams" will result in the rightful #1 being crowned.

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                              X