Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Concussions

Re: Concussions

From the last paragraph in the article "How Atletes Get Great"...interview of David Epstein...

"Of course, with the concussion crisis, there’s clearly a gene that predisposes people to sustaining more damage from getting hit in the head than other people and I think it’s crazy that testing for it is not in wider use. I understand the fears of it going into wider use, but this isn’t a place where you should be hiding from any information. Even though it’s just statistical info, it’s not destiny to have a gene."

No good place for this question, so I'll throw it out here because it might be marginally related(??) - did anyone see the penalty that got Yale's Jamie Haddad a suspension on Friday against Princeton? Watched her play for years and never would have pegged her for a penalty resulting in a suspension..... and the penalty was a simple checking penalty (not charging, hit to the head, hit from behind, boarding, roughing, etc.) and I don't know that I've ever seen a player suspended for a checking penalty before. Just curious...

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

I didn't see it, but maybe the league reviewed the hit and felt it should have been a CFB, and thus, a game misconduct. Clearly, they felt that the referees erred in the penalty given versus the infraction committed.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Deport Right Wing Nuts brookyone's Avatar
    Minnesota Hockey

agree 100%.

what I have noticed over many [ok, too many] years....is that because of the "no checking" in girls hockey....the girls never seem to develop that "feeling" you get when you know you are about to get drilled....and as a result, may hits [intentional or otherwise] come as a complete shock to the recipient....and they don't defend against the hit. I learned very early on...like age 8 or so...that you never trust anyone on the ice....always expect the other player to hit you...Always. Do that, and many if not most concussions could be avoided.

Her claim that "a lack of strength and conditioning is a big reason for the alarmingly high incidence of concussions in girls’ hockey" wouldn't seem to hold much water, if any, at the D1 level.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Her claim that "a lack of strength and conditioning is a big reason for the alarmingly high incidence of concussions in girls’ hockey" wouldn't seem to hold much water, if any, at the D1 level.
    I have read that weaker neck muscles is a contributing factor. I don't know how much strength training women - or men - do on their necks.
    I met a guy when we liven in Florida who was a retired carny. His gimmick was people would pay a dollar to go 3 rounds with him & if they could knock him out they won $500. He claimed he never paid out partly because nobody knows how to throw a punch but mostly because because he used to lift weights with his neck. He had head gear with a 25lg disk on it & he would raise & lower it for hours. But that is not evidence, just anecdote.

Deport Right Wing Nuts brookyone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I have read that weaker neck muscles is a contributing factor. I don't know how much strength training women - or men - do on their necks.
    I met a guy when we liven in Florida who was a retired carny. His gimmick was people would pay a dollar to go 3 rounds with him & if they could knock him out they won $500. He claimed he never paid out partly because nobody knows how to throw a punch but mostly because because he used to lift weights with his neck. He had head gear with a 25lg disk on it & he would raise & lower it for hours. But that is not evidence, just anecdote.
    I remember neck muscle exercises we had to do in PhyEd that were from the training regimen of the wrestling team. Recently read when thinking about this very topic that those exercises are no longer recommended.

The neck roll while bridged / arched inverted supported completely by your head on the mat...and feet at the other end.

Anyone else have to do those?
    Minnesota Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Yes, I realize that's part of the issue but she was referring to core strength and overall strength which is what my comment was addressing.

Interesting story, by the way.

On the surface these types of things usually seem logical at first glance...but when government gets involved there is always mission creep and unintended consequences...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...orts-1.3336575

Quote Originally Posted by brookyone View Post
    The neck roll while bridged / arched inverted supported completely by your head on the mat...and feet at the other end.

Anyone else have to do those?
    Oh yeah, did it again when I was practicing judo.

Originally posted by Brookster in another thread...don't miss the video below the article...you have to scroll down thru some ads to get to it...

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...-and-more-dire
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-20-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Baker Rink Irregular

Here's an article in today's New York Times on the subject of concussions in women's hockey:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/20/sp...tml?ref=sports

Concussion and suicide connection...

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/t...ests-1.3441633

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by granddaddyscout View Post
    Surprisingly I had a conversation with a Neurosurgeon with extensive expertise on concussions and he indicated that there actually is no conclusive evidence that mouth guards help to protect against concussions. He felt that is was marginal at best. He further pointed out that one of the biggest issues in sports related concussions is fit and positioning. How many times do you see a player with their helmet pushed back or so loose it almost flops around. To be honest I have always thought mouth guards were a critical element in the concussion debate, until he made these comments.
    we are in the early stages and there are going to be a lot of falsehoods, like the poster that said there was a link between Alzheimers and concucussions

That alumni band guy

A reporter for WCCO-TV in Minneapolis talked about his own road to recovery after suffering a concussion.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/0...sion-recovery/
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Mr. Schoolboy Socks weighs in on concussions. Don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe he should stick to politics but it seems he can't avoid a photo op...never met a camera he didn't like. What was he doing there in the first place?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...bate-1.3511509

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

more interesting and important than the above two fluff articles:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ails-1.3510466

"Bettman then expresses doubt over whether the NHL Players' Association would consent to eliminating fighting and, with it, the enforcer's role.

"I believe the fighting and possible concussions could aggravate a condition, but if you think about the tragedies there were probably certain predispositions," the commissioner writes. "Again, though, the bigger issue is whether the [Players' Association] would consent to in effect eliminate a certain type of 'role' and player. And, if they don't, we might try to do it anyway and take the 'fight' (pun intended)."

Shanahan replies, "I thought [the players'] current position on illegal checks to the head is that it should encompass ALL contact. If we keep this simply about concussion and brain injuries then how can they argue against it."
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

Did anyone see the ESPN 30 for 30, on ABC this past weekend on the 85 Bears? They had a good 10 minutes on Jim McMahon and his situation...where now the doctors are looking at his C-1 thru C-5 cervical column and the neck to see what his "concussive" symptoms were caused by...and they found the spinal column had been pinching off the spinal fluid and other cerebral fluids from exiting his brain, which caused a build up of toxins, creating his problem....while not totally relieved, the Rx is much better.....point being that the concussion issue has to be extended to include the neck and cervical vertebrae.....

Thread Information