This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week in Hockey East

A new season and a new thread for info within Women's Hockey East Association (WHEA).

Re: This Week in Hockey East

Notre Dame joins Hockey East on the men's side, word is that they want a 12th member to even it out, rumors are either RPI or Quinnipiac, who, if they jumped ship, would bring a 9th member to Women's Hockey East. Outlier is UConn who is already a member on the women's side but not the men's - doesn't seem likely given the arena situation and dedication of resources they'd have to make for the men's program to move leagues.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
      Notre Dame joins Hockey East on the men's side, word is that they want a 12th member to even it out, rumors are either RPI or Quinnipiac, who, if they jumped ship, would bring a 9th member to Women's Hockey East. Outlier is UConn who is already a member on the women's side but not the men's - doesn't seem likely given the arena situation and dedication of resources they'd have to make for the men's program to move leagues.
      Well, maybe Notre Dame will add a women's team at some point. I get the feeling that the whole kit and kaboodle will change again in the not too distant future. (CHA & Atlantic)

Weekly Honors in WHEA for BU's Wakefield, and Sperry, and UNH's Kashman:

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/wome...10/oct3wwr.php
      Last edited by Hux; 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        Well, maybe Notre Dame will add a women's team at some point. I get the feeling that the whole kit and kaboodle will change again in the not too distant future. (CHA & Atlantic)
        Maybe, but I just get the feeling that the travel costs would be too high for them to join WHE. They are moving the men's scheduling to 1 home, 1 away so that ND will only have to fly out 5 times a season to fulfill 1 road date at each venue.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

It appears like NBC is going to telecast ND Men's hockey games as part of this move.

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
            It appears like NBC is going to telecast ND Men's hockey games as part of this move.
            Their TV deal will be very good for college hockey in general.

"The University of Notre Dame's hockey team will have a more robust national television platform than any hockey program in the country..."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/co...131179638.html

With their new arena I bet they will be the next major university to start a D1 womens program. If they do it will give a big boost to the womens game, no matter which conference they were to join.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

They are very successful and committed to their womens' programs once they are up and running. Word I get from on-campus is that there is limited interest in this right now but they keep things under wrap as well as anyone. I would think that if they were planning on a womens' team, it would be part of their fund-raising plan and it would be very visible. Notre Dame, Michigan State, Michigan would be great adds to womens' hockey.

Comment

NU ahead of Syracuse 3 - 1 after two. Goals by Povova, Pickett, and Esposito for NU, Mattimoe for Syracuse. Syracuse struggling to maintain posession, but starts the 3rd with 1:51 on the PP.
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  NU ahead of Syracuse 3 - 1 after two. Goals by Povova, Pickett, and Esposito for NU, Mattimoe for Syracuse. Syracuse struggling to maintain posession, but starts the 3rd with 1:51 on the PP.
                  NU's web feed is quite nice (and FREE!), and its is of significantly better quality than most I've seen. It would be nice of more athletic departments followed suit.
                  Last edited by mattj711; 10-07-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                    NU's web feed is quite nice (and FREE!), and its is of significantly better quality than most I've seen. It would be nice of more athletic departments followed suit.
                    Yup, mad props to NU. The feed is great and obviously free doesn't hurt.

Comment

Highlights from tonight's UNH vs Colgate game.
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

In addition to the great quality, I think they archive the games so if you miss the live feed you can watch later. I watched the Ottawa game like that. Hopefully they will be doing it for all games.

Comment

Wow! With Maine earning 2 come from behind OT wins agains Quinnipiac and other teams with early winning streaks, this may be a very different year for HockeyEast

Comment

Just got back from the beat down of Colgate by NU, 5-0. It wasn't even close and this was the day after beating up Syracuse. Nice crowd for the day lots of families on both sides. Though a few of the Colgate families didn't like the Matthews "experience", while others loved it.

Coyne is going to be nasty and the entire first line is just racking up points.

Comment

After an extremely busy September, I needed a break so I am going to start up the HockeyEast prognostication starting next week. This season is bound to be a very unpredictible, exciting season, so I would like to start it out with your guess on season-end rankings. I will keep them till the end and see where we end up.

1. Boston University
                              2. Boston College
                              3. Northeastern
                              4. UNH/ Providence
                              6. Maine

With a large gap
                              7. Vermont
                              8. UConn

Tourney Winners: Northeastern

Comment

Working...
                              X