X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: This Week in Hockey East

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    A BU championship is not conducive to a good picks contest for you. However, perfection of this magnitude, even in the wrong direction, is not easily achieved. Bravo, sir!
    Now that is funny!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
      A BU championship is not conducive to a good picks contest for you. However, perfection of this magnitude, even in the wrong direction, is not easily achieved. Bravo, sir!
      Thank you, thank you
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
        That's what I said last year. I also think it has a huge advantage. Only one game out of six (over the last three years) has the bye team beat the team that played in the quarterfinal (). (the frowney face was because BC (bye team) beat PC (qf team) last year, but they did take them to 13 minutes into OT before Stack scored).
        Supporting a team that got byes the first few years of the 6 team field and didn't fare as well as expected, I agree. It's tough to slog through two weeks of practice with no game in the middle 6 months into the season.
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Ouch, That hurts

Comment

Coverage of the WHEA final in the Boston Globe. (The writer has the details of the tying goal wrong. Poulin shot from the right wing and the shot deflected off Friedman who had Menard tied up. Wakefield was behind those two, and may have tipped the shot through Lacasse's pads. ]

Wakefield knuckles down, delivers title for Terriers
            By Diana C. Nearhos
            Globe Correspondent / March 5, 2012

HYANNIS - Jenn Wakefield demonstrated why she wears the “C’’ on her sweater.

The Boston University senior sent the Hockey East championship into overtime Sunday with a goal with 7.3 seconds left in regulation and then tallied the winner 2:15 into the second overtime, giving the ninth-ranked Terriers a 2-1 victory over Providence at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center.

Providence’s Genevieve Lacasse had a shutout going through the first 59:52 and had not let up a goal in over 209 minutes of play when Wakefield got a bit of puck luck.

“It was certainly an epic battle and we were up against as honored an opponent as we could possibly be up against,’’ said BU coach Brian Durocher. “They made us find one that sort of had eyes and got tipped in late in the game.’’

Forward Marie-Philip Poulin slid a pass through traffic to Wakefield, who was waiting just outside the crease. The captain took a shot that deflected off defender Jennifer Friedman’s skate and between Lacasse’s pads.

“It came down to Pou and she just shot it off my stick, I didn’t even have to do anything,’’ Wakefield said. “I was just parked in front of the net, trying not to let Lacasse see anything because she was stopping everything she could see.’’

BU fired 15 shots in the first overtime period, 50 shots in the game, but Lacasse made some incredible saves to keep the game going.

Finally, 2:15 into the second extra frame, Wakefield lit the lamp again.

Forward Isabel Menard’s shot from the blue line missed and Friedman and Wakefield raced for the rebound. Wakefield collected the puck and shot it just inside the right post.

“There was a bit of a struggle and I lifted a girl’s stick and spun around and shot it, just hoping for the best,’’ Wakefield said. “If it was going to be a good shot, Lacasse would have saved it. I was just trying to get it on the ice and maybe off her pad for a rebound.”

Wakefield earned tournament MVP honors. In addition to her two goals Sunday, Wakefield had a hat trick and an assist in the quarterfinal win over New Hampshire and an assist in Saturday’s win over Boston College.

Wakefield was on the ice for the final two shifts of regulation, determined to make something happen in what could have been her last game for the Terriers (23-13-1, 14-7-0).

“Big players are out there at big times,’’ Durocher said. “That’s when you have to summon up your courage.’’

Poulin (8 points in the tournament), Menard (6), and defenseman Kathryn Miller (5) joined Wakefield on the all-tournament team.

Defenseman Christie Jensen (4 points), and Lacasse (127 saves) represented Providence (16-17-4, 11-8-2) on the all-tournament squad.

Lacasse set a Hockey East record for saves in a tournament, passing Northeastern’s Florence Schelling, who made 101 last year.

“It took a deflection with seven seconds left, that’s how great she is,’’ said Providence coach Bob Deraney. “Her performance speaks for itself. She’s the reason why we’re here and why that game went into double overtime.’’
            Last edited by Hux; 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Hey does anyone know if there is video of the game from yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
                It was tape delayed on NESN, and I know they were replaying it at 2pm today, and will likely have an encore or two more, probably in the wee hours. Not sure if it helps you if you've already left the East. You might contact NESN.

One of the professors at PC (the harmonica guy - I don't know his name) - was recording it from behind the net on a handheld camcorder, but I'm not sure how much fun that would be. Check with the Gauthiers if you want to explore that, but I'd hold out for the NESN. I will have it stuck in my DVR by the end of the hour, as I'm recording it now, If you have any idea how to get it from there to a DVD (by someone with a degree in Exercise Science, not Electrical Engineering) I'd be glad to get a copy to you (I do have a DVD recorder - separate unit from the DVR box)
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Thanks someone else has a copy on the way of the broadcast they recorded.

Comment

Thanks someone else has a copy on the way of the broadcast they recorded.
                    Well that was easy. It might be tough to watch right now, but NESN does a great job and it is certainly going to be quite the keepsake in the future.

Providence played a very good, hungry game, and could well have been wearing the hats at the end but for two unfortunate bounces. My heart was in my throat for Lacasse as her play was beyond description, but don't tell any of my Wildcat peeps I said that or they will think my blue blood is fading (NOT)!

Comment

I know some guy from PC was filming on Saturday, with a legit camera, and I assume he did again Sunday. I just remember him coming over and chewing me out saying "people" would be ****ed if I jumped up to celebrate a goal to which me and the NU fans around me were "slightly" annoyed.

Comment

I TIVO'd the game and just had a chance to watch the replay of the tying goal in slow motion. The goal was definitely Poulin's off Friedman's right skate. Menard went for the tip but missed, and Wakefield waved at it but never touched it.

Comment

A nice blog post by a BU fan on the Terriers and the women's game.

Comment

This week's WHEA award winners:

ATHLETIC REPUBLIC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
                            #9 JENN WAKEFIELD, BOSTON UNIVERSITY
                            (Senior Forward; Pickering, Ont.)
                            Wakefield notched three points (2g,1a) on the weekend in Hyannis en route to Tournament MVP honors, which included a two-goal effort and 11 shots on goal on Sunday in the Hockey East Championship Game. She scored the game-tying goal with eight seconds left in regulation and scored the game-winner at the 2:15 mark in the second extra frame.

PRO AMBITIONS ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
                            #8 KAYLA TUTINO, BOSTON UNIVERSITY
                            (Freshman Forward; Lorraine, Que.)
                            Tutino notched a goal and an assist in Saturday's 5-2 semifinal win vs. archirival Boston College. She finished the weekend with five shots on goal.

WHEA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
                            #27 GENEVIEVE LACASSE, PROVIDENCE COLLEGE
                            (Senior Goaltender; Scarborough, Ont.)
                            Lacasse stopped 89 shots (.978 save%) in the two games over the weekend vs. Northeastern and Boston University, including a 48-save effort in the 2-1 double overtime loss to the Terriers on Sunday at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center. Lacasse was named to the 2012 WHEA All-Tournament Team for her efforts over the weekend on the Cape.

WHEA TEAM OF THE WEEK
                            BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                            The Terriers took home their second WHEA Tournament Championship with a 5-2 win over Boston College in the semifinals on Saturday and followed thay up with a 2-1 double overtime win vs. Providence College on Sunday.

ARMY ROTC THREE STARS AWARD
                            At the conclusion of each Hockey East league game, the Hockey East "Army ROTC Three Stars of The Game" are selected. Congratulation's to Northeastern goaltender Florence Schelling for winning this years award. Schelling was named a No. 1 star four times on the year and was one of the three stars in 12 games for the Huskies. Here were the leaders for the 2011-2012 season.
                            Rk. Name Cl. Pos. School
                            1. Florence Schelling Sr. G NU
                            2. Kendall Coyne Fr. F NU
                            3. Brittany Ott Jr. G ME
                            Genevieve Lacasse Sr. G PC
                            5. Jenn Wakefield Sr. F BU
                            Kristina Lavoie Jr. F UNH
                            Army ROTC

HOCKEY EAST WEEKLY TOP PERFORMERS

Kathryn Miller, BU (Jr., D, Milverton, Ont.) Was named to the WHEA All-Tournament Team with two assists and a +5 plus/minus rating on the weekend.

Christine Jensen, PC (Sr., D, Delta, B.C.) Had two assists in the semifinal win vs. Northeastern and was named to the All-Tournament squad.

Marie-Philip Poulin, BU (So., F, Beauceville, Que.) She was named to the All-Tournament Team for her efforts with five points (2g,3a) with nine shots on goal and a +5 rating for the Terriers.

Ashley Cottrell, PC (Sr., F, Sterling Heights, Mich.) Was named to the All-Tournament Team with a goal on Saturday vs. Northeastern and five shots on goal for the weekend.
                            space

CAREER FIRSTS/MILESTONES/WHO's HOT

ASHLEY COTTRELL, PC (STERLING HEIGHTS, MICH.) SCORED HER 100TH CAREER POINT ON SATURDAY VS. NORTHEASTERN IN SEMIFINAL ACTION

GENEVIEVE LACASSE, PC (KINGSTON, ONT.) BECAME THE TOURNAMENT RECORD HOLDER FOR CAREER SAVES (277) AND SAVES IN A SINGLE TOURNAMENT (127)

ISABEL MENARD, BU (OTTAWA, ONT.) NOTCHED EIGHT POINTS AND SEVEN ASSISTS IN THE TOURNAMENT, BOTH OF WHICH ARE NEW SINGLE-TOURNAMENT RECORDS

MARIE-PHILIP POULIN, BU (BEAUCEVILLE, QUE.) NOTCHED EIGHT POINTS (3G,5A) IN THE TOURNAMENT, A NEW SINGLE-TOURNAMENT RECORDS

JENN WAKEFIELD, BU (PICKERING, ONT.) SET A NEW SINGLE TOURNAMENT RECORD WITH FIVE GOALS

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              I TIVO'd the game and just had a chance to watch the replay of the tying goal in slow motion. The goal was definitely Poulin's off Friedman's right skate. Menard went for the tip but missed, and Wakefield waved at it but never touched it.
                              I also saw that in the replay that was posted on the HockeyEast website. It was pretty clear that it went off her skate. That being the case, why was the goal not awarded to Poulin? Is there a rule that if it is off the other team, credit goes to the person closest to the goal? Just asking because with all the press on this goal, I would hate to have to repeat a story that I know is not true.

Comment

If I was to guess I would say that Ms. Poulin could care less who got credit for the goal. She is an Elite athlete. She plays for the team on the front of her sweater not the back. Which, is probably one of the many contributing factors as to why she is an Elite athlete and an Olympic Gold Medalist !

Comment

Working...
                                X