X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    Very dissappointing loss. In the first period we had intensity and despite the shots being 12-3 in our favor and we led 2-1, I thought it was evenly played.

Stats are just stats and however many times misleading. Miami started outhitting us and outplaying us and we were very flat in the second, lucky to be tied on a beautiful goal by Czarnick(sp), he just buried it.

Then came the go ahead goal fourty seconds into the third, I knew we were in trouble. We were trying but Miami seemed to always have four or five guys back and we continuously had to dump and chase, and their defensemen are too big and too good, rarely worked.

Last weekend against UNO coach Blais said we were very oportunistic and took advantage of our scoring chances, well Miami did the same, four goals on fifteen shots. Reilly Smith had the hat trick and assisted on the fourth, what a sniper !

After the fourth goal four minutes into the third they just played a great positional game, never getting caught up, just waiting . Our third goal with under a minute left just made the score look more respectable.

Their goalie looked very shaky all night, he doesn't control his rebounds, we need more shots and then crash the net, we did that in the first. Their defenseman are big and make you pay when you do that, maybe why we couldn't penetrate.

If we play like we did in the first period, we have a shot tonight, and stop Smith, we can do it but will take a complete team effort.

Note.....Eachus will not play(concussion) McCarney out also !! Might have trouble vs Cornell.
    I believe Miami works the goalie rotation, so we'll probably see Connor Knapp tonight. Switching to football, that's pretty much the entire team there.
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Supposedly Eachus failed the first NCAA test but passed the second test and by hours would be able to play if today was a night game. Biddle is furious about the timing..don't know what's wrong with McCarney. Fourty to fifty mile an hour winds forecast for the game. Cornell passes about 80% of the time. I'm expecting a close game instead of a rout.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
        Definitely not a typical one goal loss from last year. Playing #5 team in the country and out shooting them by a good margin. Let's go with the positives here. 2 PP goals which is huge. We grab one or two of those a game and we'll be in good shape. The mistakes cost us, but absolutely no doubt that Gate can skate with that team. Nothing against Miami but if that's the #5 team in the country Gate will be able to skate with anyone this year. By the way Mayer had a great rush and hit the post with about 5 minutes left. Gate definitely had their chances.
        There is the positive, take away the first 5 minutes of the third, and it's a different game. The effort was there. Cut down on a few mistakes, and play a 60-minute game, and tonight is definitely winnable.

Comment

As usual I''m not quite as optimistic about last night's performance as many of my peers. Miami may be a top #5 team, but they aren't there yet...and please don't blame Michalik for ANY of those goals...on stupid give aways we gave them two goals and the PP, despite two great plays by Smith and Wagner had very little puck possession in the offensive end. SOG can be a very misleading stat, especially when you have twice as many PPs as your opponent. Smith - Wagner - Wilson line looked good, but I'm still waiting for a defenseman to step up...Price and Larkin have to continue to improve and it's somewhat revealing that a freshman mans the point on the PP. Good news about the crowd, at least relative to the usual malaise...IF we can keep improving every week I think we'll be a decent hockey team, capable of skating with anybody...I hope so; I'll be at Ingalls with 8 to 10 Yalies on 11/04...finally, good to see Coach V really give it to them during the timeout...I remain skeptical, but hopeful...

Comment

It's Mihalik. No c in the last name.
            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Raiders:
              Just wanted to congratulate you on a great weekend of hockey. you guys play an entertaining brand of hockey. I drove up from DC for the game on Friday. You have a beautiful campus and a fun environment. Wishing you the best of luck the rest of the year. Can't wait for you guys to play the return part of the series in Oxford. I hope some of you can make the trip out there.
              Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Congrats to the boys in maroon on a well played game tonight!!! Good to have a good OOC win under their belts, not to mention a confidence boost. Promises to be an interesting season. GO 'GATE!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for gracious comments MiamiRedHawks2008...great to get a quality win against a team that no doubt will be a TUC..I think last night's 6 minute brain fart made an impression on exactly what Don V expects from this team...couldn't better happier to go a solid 3-1 with a smart, solid game against a high-quality opponent...we aren't going to blow people out 8-1, but if we buy into what we do best this season may have some serious legs to it...GO 'GATE...

Comment

I was at the game tonight. Had a good feeling all night, starting just before the initial puck drop with everyone in my section singing The Star-Spangled Banner. Thought we were going to be in for a long night when Miami scored to make it 1-0, but we never gave up. Miami was called for FOUR penalties within an 8-minute span, resulting in THREE 5x3 power plays for us. And on the 3rd 5x3, we scored to tie it up.

In the 3rd period, it didn't look good when Miami scored to make it 2-1, but not long after that Austin Smith to the rescue to tie it at 2. Then the refs decide to call a penalty on us with under 2 min. to go. But we kill it, then we get a power play opportunity in overtime. And lo and behold,
                    we WIN!!!!!

Other mumbo jumbo:
                    -Attendance (at least on the student section/general admission side) was good again, even though most people showed up "late" to the game. Attendance was more than the listed 1212; IMO it was at least 1500, making the rink 75% full.
                    -A good crowd of students decided to gather right behind the Miami bench. They were all chanting "Let's go Spiro" for #6 Spiro Goulakos. He hit the post late in the 1st. Sooner or later he'll score.
                    -I'm really liking the new home jerseys. They're white with a maroon "C" in the center with a " 'gate" within the C. This is much more appealing compared to having "Colgate" in block lettering across the chest.

Hoping to make it to Hyannis next weekend. I've got a good feeling this is going to be a great season.
                    Colgate '09

Comment

If these 2 games are any indication, the effort will be there, that was a solid game. They did get lucky though, the first Miami goal was due to a giveaway at just about point-blank range, and they were sloppy 2 or 3 more times in the zone, and Mihalik bailed them out.

Overall a good series to build on. I'm a casual fan, to be sure, make the trip from Norwich a couple times a season, but the students being there in force was nice to see (and Spiro's going to be a fan favorite, it looks like), and these were 2 good games to watch.

Comment

Great game, Colgate! Don't know how Colgate - or anyone - gets pucks past Connor Knapp. The guy is simply huge and his ***** is as high as the crossbar. We had great pressure but so many of our shots went right to his breadbasket with absolutely no rebounds. Had to keep pinching myself that we were actually 'skating' with this high-caliber Miami team and holding our own. Our SOG were consistent - pp or not - and that breeds success. Other than a few risky giveaways, thought we looked really good! One observation - we tend to dump the puck in and they simply don't. Credit to Colgate for being the more disciplined team...felt more like we had 20pp chances, not 9.

Respectfully disagree with attendance, thought it was what it was...as for uniforms, did not care for them. Don't mind the C-gate logo at center ice or on center field at Kerr, but I want to read the name of the team on a jersey, esp. if it is on tv. Union has had something similar for years and it doesn't impress.

Don't suppose there is video of the gwg?! And that was one, ugly football game!
                        Way 2 go, 'Gate!
                        Beat Army!
                        C O L G A T E
                        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                        1990 NCAA FINALS
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Yes, Colgate. Yes!

Comment

Great win ! Reminded me a little of game three vs Union when we won in OT in the playoffs.

Again we outshot Miami something like 43-22, unreal, but this time (unlike Fri night) we actually outplayed them ! We DID NOT look like the team that was just dumping the puck in for the last two periods Fri night.

Sometimes to me it's almost mindboggling how different a team looks from one night to the next. We held Smith to one goal and he was clearly not as dominant as the night before.

Mihalik made two or three crucial stops in close(the ones we say he has to make for us to win) he was very good. The Smith Wagner Wilson line is fast, and another tic tac toe goal for the game equalizer was so pretty.

We actually had Miami on the run in the third, so different from Friday, constantly crisp tape to tape passes, and limiting their chances effectively.

They ALL played tremendous, I could go on and on. What I haven't seen anyone mention is how important this will be at the end in the PWR comparison's beating Miami and UNO !!! HUGE ! We will probably be a TUC all season now. Also we'll be ranked this week, means nothing but looks great.

Note on winning goal...Mayer's parents sit in front of me, after we celebrated I asked him who scored and he said McPherson and I said no, it was deflected in. So we waited for Caprio to announce the goalscorer and lo and behold it was his son !!! Awesome!! Congrats!!

Ahem...Greencoat actually said something positive about this team, unreal !
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Great win. We did what Miami did on Friday, take advantage of our opportunities, especially that turnover that led to our 2nd goal

Two really entertaining games, very playoff-like in terms of their intensity, physical play, and close calls. Rooting for Miami for the rest of the season

Mihalik looked very good, again. Still a few too many giveaways in our own end, though we aren't going to see too many teams big and fast enough to really generate those turnovers as the Redhawks. Still, it's something to work on as the season goes forward

Agree with Rainman's comment on Goulakos. Very intrigued to see where he goes from here, both for this season and in his 'Gate career going forward

Army is next. No time for a letdown, keep up the intensity and maintain confidence heading towards ECAC play
                              ECAC Champions: 1990
                              NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                              ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                              NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                              Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

From collegehockeynews...and of the 2 pics on their front page, you'll never guess which team has credit to both of them :-)

CHN: Austin Mayer tipped home a Corbin McPherson shot on the power play with 2:03 remaining in overtime to give the Colgate a huge win over Miami. Colgate suffered a close loss Friday night in the home series, and didn't want just a couple of moral victories. Our ECAC previews haven't been published yet, but when they do, you'll see Colgate picked fifth, and that was written before its nice start. This is a team that could be the surprise of the season -- mark it down.

Nice way to end last season and begin the next! ECAC playoffs were no fluke!
                                C O L G A T E
                                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                                1990 NCAA FINALS
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X