This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

Still thrilled over last year's spectacular finish - despite losing in AC. We made it there and 8 others did not.

This season shows promise but not sold on being a ranked team. 'Gate can show up and play one night and tank the next. Consistency has been a problem. Great to see more pp goals and SOG. Staying out of the box is always key. Mihalek makes me more nervous than confident.

Hoping for the weekend split.
    C O L G A T E
    2023 ECAC CHAMPION
    1990 NCAA FINALS
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
    ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
    ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

What I don't get is that we were at Yale and Brown to end the regular season last February. Now for our first two league games this season, we go right back to Providence and New Haven. Fortunately I'll be able to make it to both games!

Bill's absolutely right, we do need to be consistent, especially in conference play. Any one team is capable of defeating its opponent on any given Friday or Saturday night. Given the way we've been playing, a split is very likely but we need to earn it. Fortunately the Ivies are just starting their regular season (Brown and Yale have played the same opponents, even in their exhibition game), so we're fortunate to be playing Brown and Yale in their rinks while they still tinker with line combinations (and in Yale's case, goaltending). Will be satisfied with at least 1 win (DV's 300th) but will be elated with 3 or even 4 pts for the weekend.

And I'm honestly hoping we can win at least 1 of these games so I can see Coach Vaughan get win #300 in person. Go 'Gate!
      Colgate '09

Comment

Welcome recruit, Spencer Finney, goalie, from Trenton (OJHL)
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

We lose two goalies this year so that's a good thing. Noticed we have a 6-5 frosh goalie this year, walkon ??
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

We need a win tonight, Bruno's no slouch. Win #300 for Don.

Comment

Sully doesn't have much nice to say about us. Picking Bruno and Yale this weekend
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                Sully doesn't have much nice to say about us. Picking Bruno and Yale this weekend
                He picked against us all last year. Not too surprised.

Headed out the door for Providence right now. Go 'Gate!
                Colgate '09

Comment

Why is it that I always get a skittish feeling when our team has a 5 on 3? I HATE that feeling!!!! I only hope the best for the team, but the "gimmies" leave me cross-fingered. I guess it is an underdog-type feeling, longstanding, not a statement on this team. Go 'Gate!!!!

Comment

SO HAPPY FOR DON VAUGHAN AND HIS 300th WIN!!!!! Congrats, Donnie!!! Good game, boys. Great win on the road.....................take it to Yale tomorrow night!!!

Comment

Oh thanks alot Austin Smith - pumped my arm so hard on that SECOND shorthanded goal that I pulled every muscle in my shoulder - jerk!

Nice start to the ECAC season and congrats to DV on #300. Listened to the last 15 of the third and it sounds like Whitten has had the desired effect down in Providence. Seems like the ECAC over the past two-three years has gotten tougher and with more parity than ever.

On another note, it is really rough on the nerves listening to a hockey game on the radio when you haven't memorized the names of all your team's freshman yet.

Job half done. Lets grab four away shall we?

Comment

Originally posted by Gate93 View Post
                        Oh thanks alot Austin Smith - pumped my arm so hard on that SECOND shorthanded goal that I pulled every muscle in my shoulder - jerk!

Nice start to the ECAC season and congrats to DV on #300. Listened to the last 15 of the third and it sounds like Whitten has had the desired effect down in Providence. Seems like the ECAC over the past two-three years has gotten tougher and with more parity than ever.

On another note, it is really rough on the nerves listening to a hockey game on the radio when you haven't memorized the names of all your team's freshman yet.

Job half done. Lets grab four away shall we?
                        Heh, sorry :-)

Comment

Thought's from tonight's game in Providence:

-We win! 1-0 to start ECAC play! Coach Vaughan gets win #300 and there were people holding up "300" signs for him as he was walking off the ice. A well-deserved victory.
                          -Austin Smith, our Maroon Power Raider, comes up big with TWO shorthanded goals! The second one came on a takeaway and skated in alone on the goalie. It held up as the gamewinner. He doesn't wear a "C" or an "A", but he's a leader.
                          -We scored four different "types" of goals: power-play, even-strength, shorthanded, and empty-net. How frequent does that happen?
                          -Kevin McNamara and Jeremy Price (his 1st game back from injury) light the lamp.

Unfortunately, we need to stay out of the box. Brown had a 5x3 early in the 2nd when we took ANOTHER penalty. Brown then scored with the extra attacker (6x3), and thanks to these "new" college hockey rules, Bruno got 1:32 of 5x3 immediately after their 1st goal. The Bears go on to score on that 5x3, briefly giving them a 2-1 lead. We can't make this a habit. If this were last year it would've torched us.

Also, this is another one of those games that would have been a "loss" last year, but thankfully this year we've learned to fight back and not quit. This was evident tonight when we took a penalty with about 5 min. left in the 3rd, only for #9 to get that shorty and reclaim the lead. He was fist-pumping after it too.

That said, so far Austin Smith for us is what Chase Polacek was for RPI last year. Hopefully this continues.

On to Yale tomorrow night. I'll be making the drive down to New Haven for what will hopefully be a great game. Cornell put up a 6-spot on the Bulldogs on National TV tonight, so they'll be venting their frustration on us tomorrow night. It won't be easy but it'll be exciting to watch.
                          Colgate '09

Comment

And...With UNO and Miami upsetting last night we move all the way up to eleventh in the PWR. Yes, it's early but let's just stay there !!! Incredible game by Austin Smith, has Gate ever had two shorties by the same player in a game ? Trivia buffs ?

Comment

Greg Dreschel, I believe, had three in second playoff games against RPI in 1987...great win...going to the Whale tonight...I've always loved watching Smith play the game of hockey (never forgot game #2 against Q-Pac in playoffs his freshman year)...also good to see Michalik apparently play well...hope Bartliff comes back soon...Yale will be tough tonight...two goalies competing for playing time? Not your typical DV, but why not???

Comment

Really nice win on the road last night at Meehan against a team that works really hard and wanted their home opener badly. Extremely happy for Don and the team after the misery of last year getting 300 ealry this year. Austin is just feeling it right now, the net must look like a soccer net to him right now.

Don't let the fact that Brown scored 2 goals on Mihalik when they were on consecutive 5 on 3 power plays get lost in this game. The Ref's handed the game back to Brown at that point in the 2nd. Mihalik was very good and looked a lot like he did down the stretch last year.
                                The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Working...
                                X