X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    Gonna miss both games + FB due to previous engagement Posters: please take notes. Looking for some recaps of all the games by Sunday.
    I'll be waking up early tomorrow morning and making the scenic drive to Hamilton. It'll be my first time watching the team play at Starr Rink since February 2009 when David McIntyre scored an OT goal to give the Raiders a 2-1 victory over RPI. Excitement is running through my blood. Go 'Gate!
    Colgate '09

Comment

Haven't been this fired up for a hockey weekend in a long time!

Also rooting for Union against WMU and RPI to win at Ferris State this weekend. Good chance to build the league up after last nights STL vs Michigan game.
      Last edited by Gaterrooter; 10-14-2011, 06:54 AM.
      The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Holy Moly...Our new ECAC writer picks us to sweep !!!! Somebody pinch me please !!!!
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          Holy Moly...Our new ECAC writer picks us to sweep !!!! Somebody pinch me please !!!!
          Being favored didn't work for us last week, so, I like it

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            will certainly be rooting for you guys, but Miami-OH is really no joke...be wary of USCHO picks too, they're to be taken very lightly.

Comment

Was at the game tonight. Even though we lost, we didn't go down without a fight. 2 PPG's in the 1st period was a good sign, but we were flat the last 2 min. of the 2nd period (including a trip to the penalty box which resulted in a Miami goal) and the first 5 min. of the 3rd period. Other than that, we showed signs of life scoring an EAG, but either Miami has snipers that can score or Mihalik had a bad night. We outshot the Redhawks 23-15 but Mihalik only saved 73% of the shots he saw.

Oh well, we'll get 'em tomorrow.
              Colgate '09

Comment

Addendum: the "announced" attendance was 1582. Clearly it was higher than this. Yes, the chairback side of the rink was only 50% full, but the end-zone seating was 75% full, and the "general admission/student section" side of the rink (where I sat) was a good 95% full. I'd say actual attendance was around 1800, meaning the rink was about 80% full.
                Colgate '09

Comment

Thanks for the summary, Rainman. Bummer that we couldn't win this important OOC contest. Hoping for the split. Let's go 'gate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                    Was at the game tonight. Even though we lost, we didn't go down without a fight. 2 PPG's in the 1st period was a good sign, but we were flat the last 2 min. of the 2nd period (including a trip to the penalty box which resulted in a Miami goal) and the first 5 min. of the 3rd period. Other than that, we showed signs of life scoring an EAG, but either Miami has snipers that can score or Mihalik had a bad night. We outshot the Redhawks 23-15 but Mihalik only saved 73% of the shots he saw.

Oh well, we'll get 'em tomorrow.
                    Couldnt watch the game in Ohio, but keep in mind the sniper with the hattrick is the nations leading returning goal scorer from last season and playing his first game this season fwiw

Comment

I watched the game. It's easy to be impressed with the size and strength of Miami's team, and I am happy to say we hung tough with them most of the night. Our boys definitely seemed a bit worn down by the end, but I loved the energy and effort right down to the final horn

There weren't a large number of mistakes, but a team that good is going to capitalize on them, which Miami (and Riley in particular) certainly did. The tying goal late in the 2nd was a real tough one to concede, especially coming as at as it did

Hopefully we can get them on Saturday night
                      ECAC Champions: 1990
                      NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                      ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                      NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                      Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

If we want to win tonight, we will have to play much better. Not saying we didn't play well last night, but Miami will be better. Another key thing will be to neutralize Reilly Smith the way we did Polacek in the last 2 games of the RPI series. What a player. Nice to see Smith score for the 2nd game in a row, Wagner get in the scoreboard, and the two PPGs. Wish the PK could have been a bit better but oh well.
                        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Seems a no-brainer to keep Reilly in check; 4 goals on 15 shots - we need more discipline to stay out of the box. Glad we played a respectable game against a great team. Another 1-goal loss...let's not start that trend again! If only we could have those attendance figures for every game. Good luck 'Gate!
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Definitely not a typical one goal loss from last year. Playing #5 team in the country and out shooting them by a good margin. Let's go with the positives here. 2 PP goals which is huge. We grab one or two of those a game and we'll be in good shape. The mistakes cost us, but absolutely no doubt that Gate can skate with that team. Nothing against Miami but if that's the #5 team in the country Gate will be able to skate with anyone this year. By the way Mayer had a great rush and hit the post with about 5 minutes left. Gate definitely had their chances.
                            The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
                              Nothing against Miami but if that's the #5 team in the country Gate will be able to skate with anyone this year.
                              We shouldn't be anywhere near that ranking, possibly by the end of the season, but not there yet.

Comment

Very dissappointing loss. In the first period we had intensity and despite the shots being 12-3 in our favor and we led 2-1, I thought it was evenly played.

Stats are just stats and however many times misleading. Miami started outhitting us and outplaying us and we were very flat in the second, lucky to be tied on a beautiful goal by Czarnick(sp), he just buried it.

Then came the go ahead goal fourty seconds into the third, I knew we were in trouble. We were trying but Miami seemed to always have four or five guys back and we continuously had to dump and chase, and their defensemen are too big and too good, rarely worked.

Last weekend against UNO coach Blais said we were very oportunistic and took advantage of our scoring chances, well Miami did the same, four goals on fifteen shots. Reilly Smith had the hat trick and assisted on the fourth, what a sniper !

After the fourth goal four minutes into the third they just played a great positional game, never getting caught up, just waiting . Our third goal with under a minute left just made the score look more respectable.

Their goalie looked very shaky all night, he doesn't control his rebounds, we need more shots and then crash the net, we did that in the first. Their defenseman are big and make you pay when you do that, maybe why we couldn't penetrate.

If we play like we did in the first period, we have a shot tonight, and stop Smith, we can do it but will take a complete team effort.

Note.....Eachus will not play(concussion) McCarney out also !! Might have trouble vs Cornell.
                                Last edited by sshablak; 10-15-2011, 09:18 AM.
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X