Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Excellent first period from Minnesota. Gophers up 1-0 at the end of period one. Great to have Schoullis on the ice. PK getting it done.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Badgers having the momemtumnow. They are controlling the game after 2nd. Those commentators are a joke.Specially that one having a flue. Have not said much positive about Gophers. A pain listening him.

Comment

Minnesota got favorable penalty calls on Friday night, but they aren't getting any today. Wisconsin got a lot of momentum from being on the PP, even though they haven't generated much. The Gophers got back on their heels and haven't really ever gotten the feet going again. I am worried that we are playing the 1st and 2nd line players too much, and we will run out of gas. Have to learn from the mistake made in the WCHA final and not keep shortening the bench.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Too many quality chances being given to the Badgers...they're coming in waves.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Gophers hang on for the W! Way to go Gophers!

Really needed the 3 pts. in the standings.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

We attended the two games at Wisconsin after missing several games with other commitments. Two observations. 1) I think the greatest improvement in the team this year over last is defense. Annie is healthy. Ramsey is a great addition. There can now be three set pairs; that helps as well. 2) With fantastic player down defense we somehow overcame the continuing taking of too many penalties this weekend. It must come under control or it will cost us at some point.

Comment

PPC Fan, you touched upon my two pet peeves with this team!

Originally posted by PPC Fan View Post
                Two observations. 1) I think the greatest improvement in the team this year over last is defense. Annie is healthy. Ramsey is a great addition. There can now be three set pairs; that helps as well.
                Agreed, but there is still much room for improvement when breaking out of their D zone. Specifically, they still need to do a better job of taking care of the puck and avoid making the careless turnovers around their own net. It's important that the first pass is successful, and don't go across ice unless you're absolutely sure it will be. And don't get trapped by two forecheckers right behind your own net!

2) With fantastic player down defense we somehow overcame the continuing taking of too many penalties this weekend. It must come under control or it will cost us at some point.
                Absolutely, don't want this to become the team's Achilles heel at critical junctures in close games! And, when they already have one player in the box, they need to be especially aware of where their sticks are at when chasing down and trying to steal the puck from opposing players.

My 2 cents!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

... we somehow overcame the continuing taking of too many penalties this weekend. It must come under control or it will cost us at some point.
                  They are showing signs of improvement, though. Last year they wound up with 12.5 minutes per game, which was 6th most in the country. Through three weeks, we're down to 9.7 MPG and that ties us for 20th, and that's missing the Ivies and Wayne State. What I think they need to eliminate are the offensive-zone infractions. Can't afford to let a play 200 feet from your net wind up costing a goal.

Comment

Okay...still waiting on chapter II of the story...

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/15/wo...game-wisconsin

Somebody wanna check on Mr. Gordon?
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Preview for the series with the Mavs:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...101911aaa.html
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        Somebody wanna check on Mr. Gordon?
                        He covers football as well, so one can see that he's still publishing:
                        http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/19/mi...njury-concerns

Comment

Originally posted by Habs View Post
                          Badgers having the momemtumnow. They are controlling the game after 2nd. Those commentators are a joke.Specially that one having a flue. Have not said much positive about Gophers. A pain listening him.
                          Habs...could have watched their video and listened to the Gopher audio Just saying....It may not have synched up exactly, but then you would have heard some positive things....well, other than the 1st period on Friday.

With that out of the way, the first seven shifts of the hockey game on Fri pretty much doomed them that night. Looked like a Bantam B team taking on the high school varsity. Fairly even the rest of the way. Could have gotten a tie if Schleper's shot with 4 seconds left was a little higher...but it was a quality shot. I think Schoullis could have played, but better to air on the side of caution and have her miss a game early, than push it and possibly lose her for the rest of the season.

Sat was much better. Good adjustments by the staff and players alike. Defensive zone breakout was much more crisp and effective as I think the team used the wider space more to their advantage (Olympic-sized rink at Kohl). Also much better at getting bodies driving to the net and creating traffic in front. I was told the defense blocked something like 28 shots that night. Nora after the game commented that Mira had something like 7 blocked shots in the first period alone.
                          Shouey looked strong, hitting a couple of posts in the game and just missing an empty net late in the third.
                          If they give that effort every night, look out!

Predictions for this week:
                          MSU-Mankato @ Minnesota
                          The Mavs are an improved team from a year ago led by sophomore Kathleen Rogan. Emmi Leinonen and Kari Lundberg give them a potent line. May give the Gophs fits at times, but MN prevails with a 5-2 and 4-1 sweep.
                          St. Cloud State @ Bemidji St.
                          The Huskies continue to struggle putting the puck in the net (2 goals in last 4 games). With the Beaver's Zuzana Tomcikova in goal, they will be hard-pressed to get many either this week. The only question will be if BSU can score any of their own (2.3 gpg). I say Bemidji sweeps, but it won't be easy...3-1 and 2-0
                          Ohio State @ No. Dakota
                          Finally, OSU will get tested after a soft, but yet still impressive start to the season. Natalie Spooner and Ally Tarr have each had a hat trick (heck, Spooner scored every goal in a 4-4 tie w/ Bemidji...not including getting the only shootout goal too). The goalies should be seeing a lot of shots this weekend. I see a tie and a win leaning toward ND....4-4 and 5-3
                          Wisconsin @ MN-Duluth
                          This is the league's marquee match up. On Duluth's home ice I could see them upsetting Wisconsin with a sweep, but I can also see the Badgers avenging their home-ice loss to MN which broke up their 32-game unbeaten streak. I will be conservative and call a split...Wisconsin 6-3, and Duluth 5-4

Hope I have given you some fodder for discussion, and I hope you tune in tonight if you can't be there.
                          Last edited by play-by-play guy; 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Those last two matchups are tough...but my brain tells me that UND and the Badgers will both sweep.

(even though my heart may not agree)
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Those last two matchups are tough...but my brain tells me that UND and the Badgers will both sweep.

(even though my heart may not agree)
                              I know those games are hard to pick and sometimes I do pick with my heart and not my head.

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/20/no...sota-host-mnsu

Despite the Daily staff skipping the coverage of the 2nd game in Madison...I savored the victory extensively!

On to the Mavericks!

GO GOPHERS!
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X