Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

UW broadcast crew specified Schoullis out with shoulder injury during intros.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Gophers come back from a 0-3 deficit to make it a close game, but Wisconsin holds on for the 3-2 win.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Wisconsin gets well deserved victory.

Key to the game: 2 goals on their first 3 shots.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          UW broadcast crew specified Schoullis out with shoulder injury during intros.
          In his pre-game interview Coach Frost reinforced the fact that Schoullis is day-to-day, so it would seem there is some possibility at least that she'll be ready to go tomorrow.

Also, Emily West went down hard in the 3rd period on a nasty collision, but (thankfully) it must have not been too serious as she was able to resume playing after missing just a few shifts.

Comment

Congrats to Rachel Bona, as good a time and as good a place as any for her first goal as a Gopher. It only closed the score to 2-3 but . . . Hoping for many more to come.

Comment

Similar to the last game we played in Madison -- look scared at the start, better after that, play good enough to lose. If we're going to be that careless with the puck, then we have to try to cover people in our zone. At least the staff now has some ideas of things thad need fixing, and to my eyes, it's a good thing there is almost five months to work on them. Here's to better days on Sunday and beyond.

Mostly the Wisconsin video feed was pretty good, but their tendency, especially early, to try to switch camera angles just as the player was shooting drove me nuts. And then they have to show replays of plays that happened several minutes earlier while live action is taking place. Worst of all was preempting live action to show us video of players that got points on the UW goals mugging for the camera. If you don't possess the technology to display picture-in-picture for those, wait until intermission and show them then. I started out listening to the Gophers' play-by-play, but that audio lagged too far behind the video, so I went back to the Badgers. They were okay. Some strange comments, such as this being Minnesota's first game against a team with a winning record -- not entirely true, because Syracuse was 1-0 when we played them. However, it definitely was UW's first game against a team with a winning record, and that they failed to mention. At least they didn't claim that our players were all thugs.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Four star submission by ARM:
                Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Similar to the last game we played in Madison -- look scared at the start
                Two goals for Bucky on first three shots.
                better after that, play good enough to lose.
                Wisconsin was never, EVER, going to lose after 0-3. Getting back to 2-3 doesn't prove much of anything at all, IMO.
                If we're going to be that careless with the puck, then we have to try to cover people in our zone.
                Two goals on first three shots.
                And then they have to show replays of plays that happened several minutes earlier while live action is taking place. Worst of all was preempting live action to show us video of players that got points on the UW goals mugging for the camera. If you don't possess the technology to display picture-in-picture for those, wait until intermission and show them then.
                It's your show, you can do whatever you want with it. But I think even YOUR FANS would prefer to follow the HOCKEY when the play is live. The mugging would have been fine if the clock was dead, it's your show. But with play running it was LAME.

Comment

Worst of all was preempting live action to show us video of players that got points on the UW goals mugging for the camera.
                  This...and those replays during game action was annoying indeed...but the mugging shots themselves, I thought they were...um...let's see, ah, I'll say "different" I guess.

...or strange, maybe strange.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Mostly the Wisconsin video feed was pretty good, but their tendency, especially early, to try to switch camera angles just as the player was shooting drove me nuts. And then they have to show replays of plays that happened several minutes earlier while live action is taking place. Worst of all was preempting live action to show us video of players that got points on the UW goals mugging for the camera. If you don't possess the technology to display picture-in-picture for those, wait until intermission and show them then. I started out listening to the Gophers' play-by-play, but that audio lagged too far behind the video, so I went back to the Badgers. They were okay. Some strange comments, such as this being Minnesota's first game against a team with a winning record -- not entirely true, because Syracuse was 1-0 when we played them. However, it definitely was UW's first game against a team with a winning record, and that they failed to mention. At least they didn't claim that our players were all thugs.
                    Gotta remember that most of the time during the first half of the season that Wisconsin will use the scoreboard video feed only because their BTN video equipment is in use elsewhere. The Marketing staff running the show in the building could care less what people watching the internet feed at home want to see which results in the bad camera angles and montages during play.
                    The WCHA Dynasty
                    Wisconsin
                    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
                      The Marketing staff running the show in the building could care less what people watching the internet feed at home want to see which results in the bad camera angles and montages during play.
                      Strange to have such a lack of concern for broadcast quality...everyone watching online is a paying customer aren't they?
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Gophers come back from a 0-3 deficit to make it a close game, but Wisconsin holds on for the 3-2 win.
                        Gophers with their strong play and mini comeback after that sluggish first period would maintain good momentum heading into the rematch...in a normal series. One thing I really dislike about the series with an extra / idle day in between games. Adverse affect on any momentum in my view.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

In his pre-game interview Coach Frost reinforced the fact that Schoullis is day-to-day, so it would seem there is some possibility at least that she'll be ready to go tomorrow.
                          Any chemistry on the level of the Schou centered top line was clearly missing in her absence, yet I thought Lorence played well and was a good choice for taking a wing on that line...and showed promise.

Inquiry for our resident Gopher historian: Is Miss Kessel 0 for Madison in her career thus far? I can't recall her having done any damage in her hometown to date.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
                            Gotta remember that most of the time during the first half of the season that Wisconsin will use the scoreboard video feed only because their BTN video equipment is in use elsewhere. The Marketing staff running the show in the building could care less what people watching the internet feed at home want to see which results in the bad camera angles and montages during play.
                            While I can understand the lack of the BTN equipment, that wasn't their problem. It was entirely bad choices by the director. If the director wants to switch camera angles, even for people in the Kohl concourse or the arena itself, the switch has to take place earlier, later, or not at all; it can't be right as the shooter fires. If they don't have the technology to supply a vanilla feed to the webcast before adding the promotions "goodies" for the home fans, then the question should always be asked -- am I willing to miss showing a goal live so that I can run this alternate video? Anyone answering "yes" to that doesn't really understand sports broadcasting, where the game is the show, not the bells and whistles. Most of the product quality would we fine for the audience, but it is undermined by a few clueless decisions.

Brooky, while #8 hasn't scored in her first three games in Madison, I thought she was at least a factor by the third last night. I'm sure that the UW plan is to take away open ice from her, so others need to step up as well. Her wings had chances last night, but didn't convert.

Comment

Red Wing's Haley commits to Gophers women's hockey team

http://www.republican-eagle.com/event/article/id/77208/

Comment

Red Wing's Haley commits to Gophers women's hockey team

http://www.republican-eagle.com/event/article/id/77208/
                                Here's another link from the same publication with an earlier story on her posted on mngirlshockeyhub.

Comment

Working...
                                X