Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Two wonderful snipes from Kelly Terry, first picking the top glove side corner at 10 seconds of the second period and then finding the roof again from what appeared to be virtually on the goal line extended, both great goals.

Also a really, really nice goal from Meghan Lorence coming down the slot. And Bethany Brausen with her best goal yet of her Gopher career, a legitimate nice move when she was in alone.

The clear number one star of the game though, was Amanda Kessel with the pure hat trick (plus an earlier one off the post), three goals in a row in eight minutes in the second period. We are not worthy.

The final was 8-0, shots 50-11, Shyler Sletta played the third period in goal for the Gophers.

I didn't see it happen, whatever it was, there towards the end of the second period, but I saw her afterwards on the bench standing a little awkwardly at the entrance to the tunnel, and then she didn't come out for the third.

Very, very troubling.

Does anyone know what happened?
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Frost in interview says "upper body injury", "status uncertain".

Kessel in her interview did not sound even vaguely optimistic.

Very, very troubling.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
        Very, very troubling.
        It would be nice to go through a season healthy, but after never really being so last year, this one isn't off to a good start. Four players down after two weeks, and the Schoullis injury likely will impact multiple lines. Oh well, opportunity for somebody else to step up and PP time for someone who wouldn't have had it otherwise. Likely candidates are Jalosuo, Bona, or Lorence. Also a little short on PK forwards with both Schou and Kortum out.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Former Gophers in attendance (that I noticed): Souba and Chelsey Brodt on Friday.

Souba, Horton, Rasmussen and Francis tonight.
          Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
            I didn't see it happen, whatever it was, there towards the end of the second period, but I saw her afterwards on the bench standing a little awkwardly at the entrance to the tunnel, and then she didn't come out for the third.

Very, very troubling.

Does anyone know what happened?
            I saw the end of the play, but not what led up to it. She was able to skate off the ice, but was obviously in pain. The person next to me remarked what a "tough kid" she is, but this was a very hard collision.

If she's out of the lineup for an extended period, it's very troubling indeed, because her line has had such tremendous chemistry in every game this season and you hate to see it broken up. But as ARM said, it presents an opportunity for someone else to step up, something we'll really need to keep the momentum going and come away with some points next weekend against the mighty Badgers.

On a brighter note, Minnesota Gopher hockey had a weekend to remember. Total score for the women and men combined was 29-0, which has to be some kind of a record.

And, to top it off, both teams now go on the road to play their respective defending NCAA champs.
            Last edited by D2D; 10-08-2011, 11:59 PM.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

In light of the very troubling possibility the Gophers are Schou less in Madison...what are some thoughts, or guesses for lines altered from what we've seen thus far? Downey stepped into a new role and did quite well but I'm not sure she'll continue in that role against the Badgers. Brausen has been making a case for moving up in the rotation I think. I don't expect Kortum to be available either with the typical recovery time for mono...also unfortunate. Her experience would help under the present circumstances. I like the way the 17-9-10 line has panned out and wouldn't mind seeing that remain as is despite the hole you may have to fill on the top line. Possible Frost plucks someone from that line too I suppose.

As a primary concern...I really hope Schou doesn't miss much of her senior season.
              Last edited by brookyone; 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Neat to see the success of Brausen-Bona-Lorence line this weekend - three great MN HS girls making a mark - pretty neat! How serious is the illness to Anderson?

Comment

This is painful to have to think about.

Before I start I note from the box score that Wisconsin is lining Knight up as a center.

I think Terry and Davis have established over a season plus that they should stay together. West has been good there but . . .

It is going to be up to Erickson and Kessel to elevate whomever ends up with them. I don't think Davis, I think she stays with Terry. Bona looked more comfortable there than did Downey on Saturday.

Another possibility is Erickson moving to center, I believe she has played there at least occasionally during her Gopher career. If they go that direction then Bona or Lorence on the wing would seem possibilities. Moving either Bona or Lorence would require trying yet another combination for the third line. If Bona gets moved off the line I think Brausen would be the most likely to be the third line center.

Maybe Kortum will return. She could rejoin Davis and Terry moving West to the top trio or she could move in at center with Erickson and Kessel. Either way the third line could remain intact.

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/10/go...nd-series-home
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Without a doubt this is the key sentence from the article: "Frost said Schoullis’ status 'remains uncertain' for the team’s two matches at Wisconsin next weekend."

If there is in fact some hope that Schoullis might play as soon as this weekend then you wouldn't think she'd miss too many games beyond this weekend, assuming of course her injury has been correctly diagnosed and her recovery goes according to plan.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Nearly all of the quotes from this article are taken from the videos posted at gophersports.com.

Not much new here.

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
                          How serious is the illness to Anderson?
                          While I heard that a number of the rookies were sick during the week, I believe that her absence from the lineup was more coach's decision than illness.

As far as lines, there are many things that they can try, and how adventurous they get will likely be related to the medical report on Schoullis. The plan for patching two weeks may differ from the approach for a three-month absence for #24. I don't see her playing this weekend based on what I saw, and I think the open door comes from her likely not yet having met with all the doctors at the time of the quote. If the coaches thought she might be back for Madison, I don't think we'd have seen some of the combinations we saw in the third period. Both Erickson and Kessel have played center, so skating West on their wing would be an option, but I think both #4 and #8 are better on the wing -- or at least that's the case when playing with #24. My perception is that #9 and #10 might be an easier pair for one of the rookies to skate with than the first line would be. At this point of her career, I don't think Brausen is likely to score enough to be on the second line. I'd say move up Bona or Lorence and put Anderson or Downey on the third with Brausen and the one left from #15 and #20. The one good thing about having Saturday off in Madison is that it gives them a little time to implement a change if what they try on Friday doesn't click.

It may be best to try a bunch of things, so if something like this happens in February, then the team has some idea of what combos work well.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I was checking for video availability from Madison during the Sioux / Badger game and it was apparent that the Badger video stream is no longer free with CBS now owning the broadcasts I guess. Don't know if this has been the case for awhile but it was news to me. Used to be a high quality video stream out of Madison. Exception for extremely "biased" production with replays of Wisconsin chances but rarely, if ever for the opponents scoring opportunities. I hope the general video quality hasn't changed. Just a FYI for anyone thinking about watching this weekend. Unable to make the trip this year so I'll have to spring for the video and hope for the best.
                            Last edited by brookyone; 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              I was checking for video availability from Madison during the Sioux / Badger game and it was apparent that the Badger video stream is no longer free with CBS now owning the broadcasts I guess. Don't know if this has been the case for awhile but it was news to me. Used to be a high quality video stream out of Madison. Exception for extremely "biased" production with replays of Wisconsin chances but rarely, if ever for the opponents scoring opportunities. I hope the general video quality hasn't changed. Just a FYI for anyone thinking about watching this weekend. Unable to make the trip this year so I'll have to spring for the video and hope for the best.
                              That started being a PPV deal last year, after all the years of free video

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
                                That started being a PPV deal last year, after all the years of free video
                                IIRC it's not a big charge, only a couple of dollars per game. Probably to cover the cost of processing the payment
                                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                                X