Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Another great crowd, over 4,000 for the weekend series.

Coach Frost produced a heart warming moment on Senior Day by inserting not even in uniform for over a season and a half, absolutely brand new never been scuffed pads, senior goaltender but mostly of late internet audio commentator Alyssa Grogan for the final 10 seconds. She even had a face off in the defensive zone to cope with at 6 seconds to go but was not called upon to make a save.

Another poorly officiated game, imho.
    Just became a Frost fan. Only the best wishes to the Minnesota Seniors and Alyssa. It has been hard to see her not in uniform even tho I have enjoyed her commentary! Wish I could've have seen it tonight!

Comment

The 9.8 seconds with Alyssa in net were incredibly emotional and a reminder that sports are played by and for people. The importance of emotion - confidence - was dramatically shown elsewhere in this game also. I have rarely seen a team's emotional stature change so dramatically on one play. Our Gophers were clearly out of sync at the end of the first period. The beginning of the second was better but it all changed on one play. Megan Bozek - right in front of us - knocked the puck out of the air to avoid a clear, avoided three ND players including both twins, and passed to Amanda for the second goal. Immediately,we looked like a different team. Our confidence was back. Coincidentally, I attended a professional development session on Friday that helps explain how these dramatic difference can occur. The argument is that 70% of our thoughts, mostly subconscious, are about what we don't want. That creates both emotional and neurological reactions that inhibit creativity and reduce our effectiveness that are not present when we our unconscious is focus on positive outcomes.

Comment

Congratulations to Amanda, Jen, Megan, and Noora on their Kaz nominations. Very well deserved by all.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Nice article and video clip on Gopher recruit Millica McMillen:

Breck player making a 'name' for herself

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...me-for-herself
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Gopher recruit Hannah Brandt who has been named the Star Tribune's All Metro Player of the Year:

Girls' hockey gets third jewel in crown of greats

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/139764353.html

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Congratulations to Amanda, Jen, Megan, and Noora on their Kaz nominations. Very well deserved by all.
              http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/139709333.html

Comment

First round series notes along with a short piece on the Ramsey father / daughter "team."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...022212aab.html
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Here's a couple of articles from the Minnesota Daily...

- West catching fire at the right time for Minnesota

- WCHA tournament play begins Friday
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    Here's a couple of articles from the Minnesota Daily...

- West catching fire at the right time for Minnesota

- WCHA tournament play begins Friday
                    Great articles - here's another:

Depth could take UM women deep into NCAAs

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/02/23/...88&feedID=3793

Comment

Bona is Golden

http://myabcsportszone.com/2012/02/2...-first-season/
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Megan Bozek out for precautionary reasons this weekend. Becky Kortum may be out for the season, sad to report. Getting ready for first round action tonight...gophersports.com....free audio.

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
                          Becky Kortum may be out for the season, sad to report.
                          That would be a real shame. Last weekend she looked great, and if she went down with an injury I sure didn't see it. Whatever it is I hope she can get back into the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            That would be a real shame. Last weekend she looked great, and if she went down with an injury I sure didn't see it. Whatever it is I hope she can get back into the lineup.
                            Appeared her arm was in a sling from across the ice. Unfortunate development for sure.

While the team responded well (I thought), there is no mistaking the team losses a presence and true force with the absence of Megan Bozek. Sure hope she can return soon.

I was pretty happy with what I thought was an obvious benefit of regular shifts for Lorence and Anderson. It looks to me like that's all they'll need to assume larger roles, make the kind of contributions and have the impact you're looking for them to have...as has been the case for Bona & Brausen.

Let's finish this series in two.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              This wasn't an in-game injury... word is that she collided with with a teammate in practice earlier this week.
                              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Scene from the Gopher bench during pre game warm ups: Kortum in a sling, Bozek in a stylish knit grey hat.

Kortum had been playing very well of late, any time a forward who understands her defensive responsibilities leaves the line up it leaves a troubling gap.

Any time Bozek misses any time at all it leaves a troubling gap.

Frischmann really stepped up, I thought, and played very well in a regular rotation at D. Lorence got the 3rd line shifts in a game that also saw the two extra forwards taking lots of shifts. Terry double shifted at center for both the 3rd and 4th lines. Ludwigson got her most ice time, certainly of this season, perhaps of any game in her career, and also played very well.

The knit grey hat looked less like a long term injury than the sling.
                                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Working...
                                X