Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

But, hey, how about that bronze pig?
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by PPC Fan View Post
      The seniors and especially the captains need to step up to create an expectations that 60 minutes of team first hockey is played every single night.
      Absolutely. That's exactly what I perceive as setting the tone and what is expected every game.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/31/go...series-bemidji

Coach Brad Frost wasn’t happy with the team’s effort Saturday.
        Let's hope this is the source of some real intensity for the series directly ahead...and beyond.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Nice article in today's Star Tribune on Emily West's determined comeback following knee surgery last November:

Blount: Gophers' West made comeback a goal

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...132969093.html
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

One last thing, and then I'll forget Bemidji and move on ...
            Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            Completely reasonable to expect a top line to set a tone every night. A little less reasonable to expect them to score the bulk of points in every game...
            True. But we're not talking about the "bulk of points". Give us something. That's a reasonable expectation of a top line. A hockey season has many games, and it won't happen every time out. When our top line has been held pointless, we are 0-2. Obviously the first time was an exceptional circumstance -- Jen Schoullis didn't play. I didn't look at every single game, but I believe our record in 2004-05 was 0-0-1 when our top line was held w/o a point, and that was the game when Wendell was injured five minutes in. Perhaps an unfair comparison, but we aren't going to achieve our goals with low expectations, or a top line that cannot get us momentum back when we start to lose it.

One of the things I love about Kelly Terry is that no matter whether she is putting the puck in the net or not, making good passes or not, she is back checking hard, forechecking relentlessly, scrapping for the puck constantly. Does she get tired? I suppose, but it doesn't look like it. Her "bad" game isn't that much different from her "good" game.

We know Schoullis is banged up. Maybe Sarah Erickson was as well; I don't know. But Bemidji State had people who were banged up, and you'd never have known it. Given both #24 and #4 were very good on Friday, I'd have liked to see a higher floor on Saturday. If that isn't going to be possible, then I'd juggle the lines. I don't want to pick on them alone, because we definitely had other seniors who weren't at their best, but that "C" is heavy, and you have to be willing to carry it. Schleper had her weakest series to date, IMO. She banged into the boards at one point, and came away limping, so I hope that isn't a concern, because it has been nice to see what a healthy #22 can do. West isn't back to herself, but that's to be expected after knee surgery. Hopefully she can regain a step; some never do.

Looking forward ... from what I've seen of UMD, they are going to come flying at us for 60 minutes. Hopefully, last weekend combined with a good week of practice will have us ready to handle the puck with composure against that pressure. Go Gophers!
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              True. But we're not talking about the "bulk of points". Give us something. That's a reasonable expectation of a top line. A hockey season has many games, and it won't happen every time out. When our top line has been held pointless, we are 0-2. Obviously the first time was an exceptional circumstance -- Jen Schoullis didn't play. I didn't look at every single game, but I believe our record in 2004-05 was 0-0-1 when our top line was held w/o a point, and that was the game when Wendell was injured five minutes in. Perhaps an unfair comparison, but we aren't going to achieve our goals with low expectations, or a top line that cannot get us momentum back when we start to lose it.
              Alright...but I really was talking strictly about bulk of points scored in any particular outing relative to the top three lines as we've seen them most the time at the beginning of this season. Certainly agree with the reasonable expectations for the top line you mention. As you said, there's a reason they're the top line. But I think those results with the top line missing a component, or the rare times they are held scoreless provide some small measure of support to my initial point, that being my hope for the 2nd line to eventually convert on more of their good scoring opportunities...and a belief they're capable of that. I think the 2nd and 3rd lines are completely capable of securing a W even when / if the top line has an off night. I do have that expectation as well and feel confident members of the 2nd and 3rd lines will do just that. There's also a reason players on the current 2nd & 3rd lines were recruited and I think helping carry the load of pts. production is a reasonable expectation for them as well. Not implying they're playing poorly or that the effort isn't there by any means. It's time to focus on the Mutts...and I am. Last comment, when I state that I don't personally expect the top line to provide the lions share of goals every night that's not really saying I have low expectations for them. Far more important are the expectations they themselves have for their own performance.

One of the things I love about Kelly Terry is that no matter whether she is putting the puck in the net or not, making good passes or not, she is back checking hard, forechecking relentlessly, scrapping for the puck constantly. Does she get tired? I suppose, but it doesn't look like it. Her "bad" game isn't that much different from her "good" game.
              No argument from me. Terry brings an all out, outstanding effort in every game I've watched her play.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Maybe part of the problem - if you want to define losing the one road game to BSU as a 'problem' - is that the 1st line has been SO dominant in most every game early this season. You would hope their goal scoring would be more contagious and spread throughout the lineup, but it's also possible, I suppose, that the other players sit back just a little, as they come to EXPECT the first line will come through and score enough goals to carry the day. Not saying this is the case here at all, just that it may be a possibility.

The other question is, given the makeup (relative skill and experience) of the team right now, what are the percentages of total goals that the coaches would reasonably expect the first three lines to score, and then what are those actual percentages to date? In terms of expectations (averaged for all foes, both strong and not-so-strong over the season and not including power plays) my best guess would be something like 55%, 35% & 10%. I do think the 3rd line (in its various incarnations) has the talent to score more than 10%, and so far they've certainly generated enough chances to do so, but they are very young, especially with No. 11 having been out of the lineup.

Comment

I wasn't in Bemidji, but how much of the problem for the first line up there was Tomcikova? Looking at the box score for the Saturday game, the first line had half of the shots on net. The first line also has half of the goals scored on the season. Like I said, I wasn't up there. The way Coach Sertich coaches, I'm sure he had his best defensive players against them and you need to a lot of luck to score on Tomcikova.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    You would hope their goal scoring would be more contagious and spread throughout the lineup, but it's also possible, I suppose, that the other players sit back just a little, as they come to EXPECT the first line will come through and score enough goals to carry the day.
                    That may have been part of the mix in 2004-05 when it became obvious that those players would score at some point. Stephens, Wendell and Darwitz were always very matter of fact about it, along the lines of, "Everybody on the team has a role, and our role is to score."

The other question is, given the makeup (relative skill and experience) of the team right now, what are the percentages of total goals that the coaches would reasonably expect the first three lines to score, and then what are those actual percentages to date? In terms of expectations (averaged for all foes, both strong and not-so-strong over the season and not including power plays) my best guess would be something like 55%, 35% & 10%. I do think the 3rd line (in its various incarnations) has the talent to score more than 10%, and so far they've certainly generated enough chances to do so, but they are very young, especially with No. 11 having been out of the lineup.
                    That kind of depends on how the lines have been configured. My theory for the current line chart is that the first line has been chosen first, the second line has been formed from those still available, and a third line configured out of those that are left. Therefore, if you put your best eggs in one basket, some of those eggs have to hatch. If they don't then one is better reconfiguring so that all of the eggs aren't in one basket. During the 2003-04 season when Darwitz and Wendell were on different lines, the scoring ratios were no doubt far different than they were once Darwitz got hurt, or after she came back and was combined with Stephens and Wendell.

I agree with you that the third line can score. My concern for them, and I saw it in large doses for the first time in Bemidji, is the deer in the headlights look in their own zone. There were moments where we had three forwards who looked like they were coached to stand in a certain area, and stand there they did, while the two D were scurrying around trying to get the puck so that it could be cleared. Not to fault the rookies, because those moments are to be expected, but it is one potential problem of having only freshmen forwards on the ice at one time. Players like Davis and West are better able to recognize that the situation calls for somebody to make a play, and they go and make one and get a clear. I'm sure that Bona, Lorence, and Anderson will get there in time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by taz91 View Post
                      I wasn't in Bemidji, but how much of the problem for the first line up there was Tomcikova? Looking at the box score for the Saturday game, the first line had half of the shots on net. The first line also has half of the goals scored on the season. Like I said, I wasn't up there. The way Coach Sertich coaches, I'm sure he had his best defensive players against them and you need to a lot of luck to score on Tomcikova.
                      She was a problem for the team as a whole. Even on plays that don't show as a SOG, if she's giving you nothing and forcing you to shoot wide or hold and never get a shot off, she's having an impact. Another big issue was that BSU blocked a ton of shots and our point shots weren't getting through. But what I saw from the first was that they were out of whack. Kessel had the best chances, but it seemed like she was always alone. As you know, shots and scoring chances aren't the same thing. West is credited with one SOG, but she had a goal and a near miss off the bar. Give me that over a half dozen routine shots from the edge of the circle any day. I'll grant you that the first line is far ahead of the other lines, but that's my point. Given that the other lines aren't really going, they have to produce to justify keeping the lines as they are. I'd try something else, in the hopes that it gets some other people going. We can always go back to 8/24/4 down the road if need be.

Comment

That kind of depends on how the lines have been configured.
                        Yes, in my post above I was referring to the how the lines have been configured to date.

My theory for the current line chart is that the first line has been chosen first, the second line has been formed from those still available, and a third line configured out of those that are left. Therefore, if you put your best eggs in one basket, some of those eggs have to hatch. If they don't then one is better reconfiguring so that all of the eggs aren't in one basket.
                        I agree, except as respects the 2nd line I'd argue that he for sure wanted to keep Nos. 9 and 10 together because he knew from experience last year that they can work extremely well together. And who else (other than West) would add more spark and proven scoring ability to that duo? She was so good two years ago that I bet it was pretty much a given that she would be playing on the second line if it wasn't going to be the first.

It will be very interesting to see how the lines are configured this weekend. The question is: given the strength of the opponent, is it the best time to make a change? I suppose the answer depends at least in part on how practice is going this week, what's working and what's not, plus how concerned the coach is about the 3rd line's defensive zone issues that you alluded to. It also sounds as if #11 might be ready to play again, and assuming she's 100% healthy I would imagine she'll see see some ice time, if not a regular shift...somewhere.

Comment

I agree, except as respects the 2nd line I'd argue that he for sure wanted to keep Nos. 9 and 10 together because he knew from experience last year that they can work extremely well together. And who else (other than West) would add more spark and proven scoring ability to that duo? She was so good two years ago that I bet it was pretty much a given that she would be playing on the second line if it wasn't going to be the first.
                          I agree with that logic, but you got to that point because the assumption was that the Schoullis line would stay together as is. If one was open to any combination, I'd probably still keep 9 and 10 together, because you are right, they do work well together. One could get creative and try all sorts of things -- leave #9 and #10 together, keep #24 and #8 together, put #4 and #17 together like two years ago, and then sprinkle a rookie on each line. Let UMD try to figure out what is our first line out of that mess.

In the end, I wouldn't expect anything more than small tweaks this week. When all is said and done, they've only lost two periods so far this year; unfortunately, both of those cost them games.

Comment

One could get creative and try all sorts of things -- leave #9 and #10 together, keep #24 and #8 together, put #4 and #17 together like two years ago, and then sprinkle a rookie on each line. Let UMD try to figure out what is our first line out of that mess.
                            I like the almost unlimited possibilities, but one also has to take into consideration that Becky Kortum may be back this weekend too. Granted, far from game shape, but could reunite her with Davie and Terry. That line was nice last season.
                            I like the energy that the all-FR line has had at times, but had difficulty getting the puck out of their own end at times, especially on Sat.
                            Need the 2nd and 3rd lines to pick up the scoring on a more consistant basis (2nd line had only 2 pts last weekend, both assists)-- and shaking things up like you said could do the trick.

As for Saturday, I did think 4/8/24 had great puck movement. Whiffed on more than one one-timer in front of the net, or put a close-range shot into the goalie's mid-section. Tomcikova played outstanding between the pipes and the rest of the BSU squad played an almost perfect game. The Beaver radio person said it was the best game of the season. The main reason the Gophs put up the numbers they did in the third period was because Sertich took the aggressive forecheck off.
                            Sometimes you just have to tip your hat and acknowledge that the other team played better and won...it wasn't necessarily that the Gophers lost. Just got beat by the better team that night. End of story.
                            Last edited by play-by-play guy; 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

We were at both games in Bemidji. We try to make it to one away series each year in addition to the St Cloud games. This year we chose Bemidji because it's Tomcikova's senior year. She was as frustrating as ever for Gopher fans and perhaps a touch overly dramatic with a couple of her glove saves. This is the best Bemidji team that we've seen in the past ten years. Sara Lundquist was quoted in the local paper that their team emphasized getting in the Gopher's zone and turning the puck over. They did an excellent job of that Saturday night and then Tomcikova bailed them out in the third when the Gophers turned up the intensity. At Bridgid's Cross after the game Saturday a Gopher fan told me that it seemed to her that every time Amanda had the puck there were two or three Beavers after her. I thought it was the best job of refereeing that I have seen from Ludwig last weekend. In other games he has blown his whistle every time an opposing player flops to the ice contact or not. Now if he can only stay away from his numerous chit chat sessions with Shannon Miller along the boards this coming weekend I'll be happy. Finally, the Sandford Center was a very enjoyable place to watch my favorite sport. Gopher women's hockey. Rah!!
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...110111aaa.html
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X