• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/27/mi...-bemidji-state
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Nice, thorough preview of the series from the Beaver website...with audio and live stat links. A little disappointing BSU doesn't have video available yet.

http://www.bsubeavers.com/whockey/news/144/5134/
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        Nice, thorough preview of the series from the Beaver website...with audio and live stat links. A little disappointing BSU doesn't have video available yet.

http://www.bsubeavers.com/whockey/news/144/5134/
        Nice preview, but there's a little "ooops" towards the end:

Last Week For The Golden Gophers
        • The Beavers picked up two wins last weekend versus Minnesota State University. Sarah Davis had two goals in Saturday’s game while Emily West tallied two assists in that game. Sarah Erickson notched two goals in Friday’s game against the Mavericks.

Also:

"The Golden Gophers’ only loss on the season came at the hands of No. 1 University of Wisconsin earlier this season."

I guess two weeks ago qualifies as earlier this season!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

It's officially official.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...102711aaa.html

Good news!
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

It's officially official.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...102711aaa.html

Good news!
            Ya, about time. Go figure it would take forever for Government paperwork to get done to get Muzzy back into the country.

Comment

On behalf of my fellow Gopher pep band alums who watched her play, I have to give a "Muzzy-muzzy-muzzy-muzzy-muzzy" shout-out. It's great to have her back with the program.
              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Friday night post game in Bemidji:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWr1p0robM

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...102811aaa.html

Game was closer than a 4-1 final might indicate. Expect another intense battle in the rematch.

GO SIOUX! Rainbows and Unicorns galore at AMSOIL!
                Last edited by brookyone; 10-29-2011, 01:02 PM.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

One thing that occurs to me at this point...while It's documented that West is banged up and playing with pain (pretty sore all over was the terminology from coach Frost) we need to start seeing some more consistent contributions from the 2nd line. Top line is heavily relied upon but can't do it themselves every night. Not gonna get it done with one line and a couple D carrying the load offensively. 2nd and 3rd lines are creating their chances...need to start finishing off a few more. This team certainly counts on pts. from the 2nd line as has been configured. Perhaps some frustration occurring. Audio crew alluded to that possibility tonight in Bemidji.

Hope it's nothing more than bumps & bruises for #17.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

One thing that occurs to me at this point...while It's documented that West is banged up and playing with pain (pretty sore all over was the terminology from coach Frost) we need to start seeing some more consistent contributions from the 2nd line. Top line is heavily relied upon but can't do it themselves every night. Not gonna get it done with one line and a couple D carrying the load offensively. 2nd and 3rd lines are creating their chances...need to start finishing off a few more. This team certainly counts on pts. from the 2nd line as has been configured. Perhaps some frustration occurring. Audio crew alluded to that possibility tonight in Bemidji.

Hope it's nothing more than bumps & bruises for #17.
                    I was having some of those same thoughts earlier today, but "upon further review" I went back and checked the box scores from last weekend. The second line contributed 2 of 3 goals on Thursday 10/20 and then added 2 of 7 on Friday the 21st. Of those 4 goals West figured into 3 of them, with a goal and 2 assists. Although the second line was shutout in last night's 4-1 victory West did get their only goal tonight when, for the first time all year, it was the first line that was shut out.

Next weekend's series against Duluth will be huge, and hopefully all three lines come out firing on all cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      I was having some of those same thoughts earlier today, but "upon further review" I went back and checked the box scores from last weekend. The second line contributed 2 of 3 goals on Thursday 10/20 and then added 2 of 7 on Friday the 21st. Of those 4 goals West figured into 3 of them, with a goal and 2 assists. Although the second line was shutout in last night's 4-1 victory West did get their only goal tonight when, for the first time all year, it was the first line that was shut out.

Next weekend's series against Duluth will be huge, and hopefully all three lines come out firing on all cylinders.
                      Let's hope so.

What I think needs to happen though is finishing on a higher pct. of the good chances they get...but that's not specific to the 2nd line. Team is certainly getting their SOG. Stingy D and Noora have been pretty critical in getting to 8-2-0 overall, but especially when playing UW, UND and UMD they're going to need a little more to "happen" with more widespread contributions on the score sheet...I believe.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

West and Lorence were swapped during the 2nd period last night. A change was obviously needed, but I'm not sure that one worked particularly well. The 3rd line had trouble breaking out and playing in their own zone last night, so perhaps that was an attempt to shore that part of the game up. After last night, wholesale changes might be in order. A lot of individual play from the top line. I don't agree with the theory that one can't expect them to get it done every night. They are supposedly the #1 for a reason, and they need to set a tone, whether the pucks go in or not. The senior captains both regressed markedly from Friday. Maybe we should try a sophomore line, a senior line, and a freshman line. Kessel was flying down the stretch last night, but she was alone on a lot of the rushes, so maybe we need somebody that can better keep up with her. I'd have liked to have seen a quick shot of the 4th in hopes of providing a spark. Coach apparently liked what he was getting from the other three lines, because the 4th remained planted on the bench.

No real offensive cohesion from any unit last night. Credit Bemidji State for working hard, an activity that didn't appear to interest most of the maroon and gold for the first 40 minutes. The Beavers get the check marks last night in any category one would identify. Effort -- totally BSU. Teamwork -- ditto. Passing -- Minnesota wasn't good all weekend, and last night they kept trying long diagonal passes that were easily disrupted. Goaltending -- Noora wasn't bad, but Tomcikova was flat out better. Composure -- this particularly disappointed me, because I thought we have a veteran group, but they didn't handle adversity well at all; from fumbling pucks when pressured to ill-advised infractions, we committed a lot of sins. Coaching -- Sertich put on a clinic and earns a convincing nod.

The Beavers were a happy bunch as they streamed off of their bench to celebrate. Good for them; they set a goal and were willing to work to achieve it. We could take a few lessons.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          A lot of individual play from the top line.
                          That has been obvious even in games where they have been able to score.
                          For opponent's game strategy this info helps a lot. So easy to organize defence
                          against them. Still I do not agree those three playing together..

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I don't agree with the theory that one can't expect them to get it done every night. They are supposedly the #1 for a reason, and they need to set a tone, whether the pucks go in or not.
                            Not so much a theory expressed by me, merely a belief the top line by odds, simply isn't going to lead the way every night out, despite expectations fans might have. I think as far as setting a tone, that encompasses more than I was attempting to address. I was speaking specifically to putting the puck in the net. Completely reasonable to expect a top line to set a tone every night. A little less reasonable to expect them to score the bulk of points in every game...with this supporting cast I think. Certainly fans will expect the top line to lead the charge every night and set the tone. I do think that's not completely realistic though. My point was simply that I don't think you can bank on a top line to provide all the offense you need in every game, even if they set the tone fans may expect from them. It is a theory of mine that the top line as we've seen it thus far shouldn't have to supply the bulk of scoring every night to win games. That is when I'm considering the talent and depth that the team speaks of, beyond the top line, which I believe they do have. Obviously results won't be good if all lines don't execute, or set the tone fans might expect during their shifts. From your post it sounds like you feel all three lines were struggling. Tough to win when that is the case. The Gopher audio crew really emphasized the tenacious forecheck of the Beavers throughout the first two periods. I'll have to give Bemidji some due credit for disrupting the execution of the Gopher forward lines. Also sounded like the Beavers were diving around with reckless abandon in their D zone to block shots or steal possession as well as picking off many of those passes you mentioned...all according to the audio crew. Also Tomcikova, with several win preserving saves from the sound of it. I would have to conclude Bemidji wanted it more than Minnesota, and played like it.

Audio crew did also allude to "individual play" going with some "frustration" when unable to score.

Anyway, the loss should motivate the team for the big weekend ahead...and now I wonder if we'll see something different in line configurations against the Mutts. I'll repeat, I hope West is dealing with nothing more than bumps and bruises and is feeling better for the UMD series.
                            Last edited by brookyone; 10-30-2011, 12:52 PM.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

With Maine's thumping of BC today and the Badgers' convincing sweep of BU, it would appear that the Gophers will fall only one spot in the rankings, to No. 3. Not that rankings mean much, other than perhaps being an indicator of how you stack up against the other top teams. The Gophers already know they have the ability to beat the nation's No. 1 - when they are focused and playing to their potential AS A TEAM.

Comment

There have only been two road series, but I see a troubling trend developing. One mark of a great team -- tremendous talent being obvious -- is playing 60 minutes
                                every night. This is especially difficult on the road. The statistic that it has been 4 or 5 years since a Mark Johnson coached team has lost to any team not UM or UMD speaks to the greatness of Wisconsin on this score. I was not too worried about the first game at Wisconsin, No. however, with two road trips with a night without 60 minutes of hockey, I am concerned. The seniors and especially the captains need to step up to create an expectations that 60 minutes of team first hockey is played every single night.

Comment

Working...
                                X