Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

I would like to give a sincere thank you and congratulations to GopherSports for the posting of video interviews with the coach and selected players which now seems to be an every game occurrence. There was some of this in the past but if I recall correctly this season is the debut of every game coverage.

It is a huge upgrade in quality of information to be able to see the coach and selected players giving their impressions of the game immediately after the game.

If I am going to complain about some things I should also give praise when a really good job is being done. Kudos to GopherSports.com.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
      I would like to give a sincere thank you and congratulations to GopherSports for the posting of live interviews with the coach and selected players which now seems to be an every game occurrence. There was some of this in the past but if I recall correctly this season is the debut of every game coverage.

It is a huge upgrade in quality of information to be able to see the coach and selected players giving their impressions of the game immediately after the game.

If I am going to complain about some things I should also give praise when a really good job is being done. Kudos to GopherSports.com.
      Totally agree but I have a suggestion: Set aside an area or a separate room to hold the interviews where (a) the sound quality would be better (not as much background noise and no echo) and (b) have a better backdrop appearance wise.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Injury information is based on how much the player as well as the coaches want to release that information. Sometimes just because fans/media want or feel they have the "right to know" the coaches and players also have the right to keep that information confidential if there's a chance for it to be detrimental to the safety of the player and or show a weakness to that player. Each team chooses to release information differently. Football may release more than hockey. Look at the professional level. NFL football gives you almost full disclosure and more so than the NHL. Why? It's all about cash and bets. If coach Frost and the training staff feel there's a chance for a player to be caused harm or if he feels opponents would use that information against the team, that's his decision to keep the safety of the players. As a fan, why would you want to have players caused more harm just so you can know?

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
          The beans have been spilled...the new Minnesota Gopher assistant is Nadine Muzerall.
          Heard that she should be arriving this coming week and be with the team in Bemidji. Anyone else hear something similar...or different?
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            Heard that she should be arriving this coming week and be with the team in Bemidji. Anyone else hear something similar...or different?
            Was told that her facebook page says she hopes to be here by the the middle of next week (or this week depending on when you read this post).

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Totally agree but I have a suggestion: Set aside an area or a separate room to hold the interviews where (a) the sound quality would be better (not as much background noise and no echo) and (b) have a better backdrop appearance wise.
              Nah, then it is too sanitized. It's kinda informal and off the cuff rather than feeling staged. Be thankful that it's there at all. It may not seem like much but it takes a good deal of effort by those involved to pull this off, so no need to make it more complicated than it already is.

Comment

What's going on with the league so far this weekend?
                1. Minnesota absolutely dominates Thurs. and wins 3-0. Don't play as well Friday (or at least MSU played better--offensively) and win 7-0. Certainly didn't see two shutouts in the cards.
                2. Did anyone see North Dakota putting up 11 in the first 2 periods agains OSU? The Buckeyes have had goaltending issues the last few seasons, but wow.
                3. Did anyone see Bemidji scoring eight? Oh, wait...they played St. Cloud. Forget it.

The only "normal" game was the one in Duluth with Wisconsin pulling out a one-goal win.

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
                  What's going on with the league so far this weekend?
                  1. Minnesota absolutely dominates Thurs. and wins 3-0. Don't play as well Friday (or at least MSU played better--offensively) and win 7-0. Certainly didn't see two shutouts in the cards.
                  The Mavericks were clearly more determined and played like it for much of the rematch. Their infractions and the well oiled Gopher PP did them in Friday night.

The game in Duluth was actually tighter than I expected.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/21/wo...sota-state-7-0

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/20/wo...ruises-3-0-win

Good weekend. Expecting a real battle on the road v. the Beavers and Zuzana.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      If what you say is true how is that I know that MarQueis Gray was unable to play for the football team because he had turf toe?

This is a gender inequality issue. The local media demands, receives and disseminates information about injury (and illness) affecting the men's teams. There seems to be no interest in providing the same level of coverage for women's teams.
                      An individual (i.e. Gray) can release information about their own health as they choose. The University is bound by HIPPA. Once Gray makes a comment about it in an interview it's public knowledge and printed in all the papers, mentioned in all the newscasts and on talk radio. So long as a Gopher Women's player says nothing about her injury, it's not public knowledge. No gender inequality issue here. Had Gray kept his mouth shut, it would have been some undefined injury.

Comment

Will there be a video feed from Bemidji this weekend? And where would one find it?

I read that GopherSports will have live blog and audio.
                        Without mutual respect for all participants, our game will slowly self-destruct...

Comment

Originally posted by BozIce99 View Post
                          Will there be a video feed from Bemidji this weekend? And where would one find it?

I've never known Bemidji to have video available in the past. I've been hoping with the shiny new facilities they'd stream game video live but...

The Beaver website notes that "Bemidji State University Athletics video coming soon." Don't know if it will be soon enough. Have to keep checking the "Multimedia" link on Beaver website.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by BozIce99 View Post

Hey Boz...if you're a gopher fan, better listen to the free audio even if BSU streams the vid...lol

BTW...just looked, and it doesn't appear that there will be a video feed.
                            Last edited by play-by-play guy; 10-26-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...102611aab.html

GWH trivia: The Gophers are currently second in the nation in scoring margin, winning by an average of 4.12 goals. Minnesota has outscored its opponents 39-6 in eight games this season.
                              Keep it up Gophers!

GO SIOUX!
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                An individual (i.e. Gray) can release information about their own health as they choose. The University is bound by HIPPA. Once Gray makes a comment about it in an interview it's public knowledge and printed in all the papers, mentioned in all the newscasts and on talk radio. So long as a Gopher Women's player says nothing about her injury, it's not public knowledge. No gender inequality issue here. Had Gray kept his mouth shut, it would have been some undefined injury.
                                University of Minnesota Athletic Medicine, Athletics Authorization to Use or Disclose Health Information (HIPAA)

The last line is kind of interesting: "If I do not sign this authorization, I may not be allowed to participate in athletics programs at the University of Minnesota."

College coaches hiding behind HIPAA

The Impact of HIPAA Privacy Rule on College Sport Professionals
                                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Working...
                                X