Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Tonight's events set me to thinking about the ancestry of Becky Kortum. Could she possibly of Finnish stock? If so, the three notable absences from the Gopher line up would all be Finns.

I see the game blog noted that Coach Frost says Räty is "a bit nicked up". No word whatsoever (as usual) about Jalosuo or Kortum.

Nice games filling in by both Frischmann and perhaps obviously, by the game's 3rd star, Sletta.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Didn't see it in the post game video interviews...but I'd give the hard hat to Sarah Davis tonight. In addition to her well deserved #1 Star status.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/20/wo...ruises-3-0-win
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I have been very impressed with all of the freshmen this year. I think the third line is going to score some goals. It just may take a little time. They have nice speed and a lot of energy. We will miss the game tonight since my wife could not find a ticket buyer for the men's game with Vermont. I don't understand. The tickets to the North Dakota and Colorado games that conflict with the women's games were gone within five minutes of her entering them on the bulletin board database at work! I look forward to reading a summary here of tonight's game. And hopefully it will be more accurate than the headline in today's Pioneer Press which had the Gopher's winning 2-0. The headline writer must have missed that awesome slapshot from Megan Bozek!!
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            I have been very impressed with all of the freshmen this year. I think the third line is going to score some goals. It just may take a little time. They have nice speed and a lot of energy.
            I'm gonna have to second these observations on the freshmen. The whole group has adjusted to D-I quite seamlessly and jumped right in at speed from all I've seen...more than any freshman class I can recall in the past. Keep it going! Ramsey has been exceptionally poised for a frosh on D.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The beans have been spilled...the new Minnesota Gopher assistant is Nadine Muzerall.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                Tonight's events set me to thinking about the ancestry of Becky Kortum. Could she possibly of Finnish stock? If so, the three notable absences from the Gopher line up would all be Finns.

I see the game blog noted that Coach Frost says Räty is "a bit nicked up". No word whatsoever (as usual) about Jalosuo or Kortum.

Nice games filling in by both Frischmann and perhaps obviously, by the game's 3rd star, Sletta.
                Having a wife that's a nurse, the school is real limited as to what they can say about player injury and illness. I'm sure you could press the issue if you want, but if the school releases that stuff they can be subject to a lawsuit for HIPA violations.

Comment

Originally posted by taz91 View Post
                  Having a wife that's a nurse, the school is real limited as to what they can say about player injury and illness. I'm sure you could press the issue if you want, but if the school releases that stuff they can be subject to a lawsuit for HIPA violations.
                  If what you say is true how is that I know that MarQueis Gray was unable to play for the football team because he had turf toe?

This is a gender inequality issue. The local media demands, receives and disseminates information about injury (and illness) affecting the men's teams. There seems to be no interest in providing the same level of coverage for women's teams.

Comment

If what you say is true how is that I know that MarQueis Gray was unable to play for the football team because he had turf toe?

This is a gender inequality issue. The local media demands, receives and disseminates information about injury (and illness) affecting the men's teams. There seems to be no interest in providing the same level of coverage for women's teams.
                    You make a good point, but at least for now we have good news - Noora Raty was back in goal. So I guess the original vague description of her injury, that she was "a little banged up" turned out to be accurate, having missed just the one game and then posting a shutout to boot.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      . . . at least for now we have good news - Noora Raty was back in goal. So I guess the original vague description of her injury, that she was "a little banged up" turned out to be accurate, having missed just the one game and then posting a shutout to boot.
                      I do not wish to argue with Gopher fans, I think we are all on the same side.

Coach Frost in his post game interview at GopherSports says that tonight they were "able to get everyone in the line up who was healthy", thereby indicating that anyone not in the line up was not healthy. Ludwigson warmed up (and I am pretty sure her mother was there) but was described in the game blog as "a late scratch" and did not play.

Both Coach Frost and the GopherSports game blogs are for rights of privacy issues official statements by University spokespersons. Both statements clearly give information about health matters for players which for the ordinary citizen are privacy protected by statute.

The information is available if there were media members willing to pursue it.

That's all I am saying. For the men's teams the demand is present to make all of that information available to fans who want to know. For women's teams no one in the media seems to care. I wonder why.

Comment

Coach Frost in his post game interview at GopherSports says that tonight they were "able to get everyone in the line up who was healthy", thereby indicating that anyone not in the line up was not healthy. Ludwigson warmed up (and I am pretty sure her mother was there) but was described in the game blog as "a late scratch" and did not play.
                        Heard she took a puck to the noodle during warm up. "Headache" was mentioned...hope it's nothing serious.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Both Coach Frost and the GopherSports game blogs are for rights of privacy issues official statements by University spokespersons. Both statements clearly give information about health matters for players which for the ordinary citizen are privacy protected by statute.

That's all I am saying. For the men's teams the demand is present to make all of that information available to fans who want to know. For women's teams no one in the media seems to care. I wonder why.
                          Wizard........it's a battle you may never win.

Comment

I don't think you hear a lot about injuries in hockey. How many times in the NHL do year hear about a guy being out with a separated shoulder? Typically it's described and an upper body injury. I guess I don't really see why it's important. As far as Kortum, I think it was mentioned a couple weeks ago that she had mono.

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
                              The beans have been spilled...the new Minnesota Gopher assistant is Nadine Muzerall.
                              Congratulations on the hire to one of the greatest of all Gophers, certainly the very first great Gopher.

It was not a well kept secret.

Comment

Congratulations on the hire to one of the greatest of all Gophers, certainly the very first great Gopher.
                                While I agree with you that the original #4 was a great Gopher, I think that her teammate Ambria Thomas would also qualify. Thomas wasn't as prolific a scorer, but still wound up with 200 points. She was a little like Stephens or Ross on later teams in that she could fill a lot of different roles and didn't have to score to have a good game.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X